Home

TheSinner.net

Madras Hockey Club

Whether it is Sunday league, university or professional sport you are interested in, this is the message board for you. We want your questions, comments, and views.

Madras Hockey Club

Postby Cain on Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:10 pm

You don't have to work for the Phillips Factory in Eindhoven to play for PSV.

Equally, you don't have to be a former pupil of Madras College to play for Madras College FP (former pupils) hockey club. I am living proof of it.

We train on a Thursday at 1900-2000 at the Astroturf at the Athletic Union. The age range is about 13-60, though the core of players are in their 20s-30s. We have a number of present pupils of Madras College playing as well, so there is a positive learning attitude at the club.

We have three teams. the Men's first and Second XIs play in the same regional league, with the first competing for the title and the seconds fighting for mid-table.

the Women have won the title in the past three seasons, and narrowly missed out on the treble last season. (incidentally, they spanked St Andrews Uni 14-0 :D) as you might guess, they play and train to a high standard.

If you want to play competitive hockey in a fun and welcoming environment, come along to training.

A number of our players have left school and gone to university, so there are places up for grabs in the mens first and second teams.

If you are interested you can come along to training and find more out for yourself. I will happy to answer any questions that anybody has about the club.

[hr]
Wear a gumshield. I'm living proof that they save teeth.
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Mario on Tue Sep 16, 2003 11:45 am

....what's wrong with the uni club - lack of talent, lack of resources. They play on our pitches for gods sake.
Mario

Re:

Postby Cain on Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:10 pm

[s]Mario wrote on 12:45, 16th Sep 2003:
....what's wrong with the uni club -

It's an alternative.

When i joined the uni club, i did so with five other people. none of them lasted there for more than six weeks.

the purpose of my post is that if people go to the uni club and don't like it, most of them don't know that there is another club that they can play for. I had packed mystick away for the year until i heard about Madras from one of the other players who had joined them.

It is also a more accessible club in terms of playing opportunities. If i had stuck it out at the uni, i would have spent a long time on the sidelines kicking my heels and with not much to show for it. There are more chances to play at Madras and I found the culture to be much more opening. also, it makes a nice change to not hang around with students all the time.
Cain

Re:

Postby Mario on Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:19 am

....so the Uni Hockey club weren't providing for everyone. It was too cliquey? That's horrendous that you weren't made to feel welcome. What could they do to make people feel more welcome? Apart from introducing non-students?
Mario

women's team and equipment

Postby ane on Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:49 pm

Hi Cain, that sounds great, truth is I've played hockey in Germany for about ten years and would really like to start again. Problem is I haven't got a stick here, I suppose I could buy the other stuff (I actually have my hockey shoes here) but buying a stick might be a bit too much....

Do you know if I could borrow a stick or other equipment from the club so I could still play? And do all the people train together, i.e. do the women also train on Thursday evenings with you?
ane

Re:

Postby Cain on Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:19 pm

[s]ane wrote on 19:49, 24th Sep 2003:
Hi Cain, that sounds great, truth is I've played hockey in Germany for about ten years and would really like to start again. Problem is I haven't got a stick here, I suppose I could buy the other stuff (I actually have my hockey shoes here) but buying a stick might be a bit too much....

Do you know if I could borrow a stick or other equipment from the club so I could still play? And do all the people train together, i.e. do the women also train on Thursday evenings with you?

the women train separately, but together. They train at the same time, but on different parts of the pitch, so we don't have much to do with each other. Sometimes if we're feeling adventurous then the men and women play a match at the end, with the men barred from hitting and dribbling. it's usually good and a pretty even match.

As for borrowing a stick, you might be able to get awway with it at the start, but if you were serious about it, i would buy one. there might be some good deals at http://www.penaltysports.co.uk/
the new site for Gilmour sports, though most players here recommend ClubSport in Dundee. I had a (very) quick skeck at Gilmour just now, and they had a few wooden sticks at £34 and some composites from £42.

As for other equipment, make sure that you have a gumshield - they really do save teeth.

If you do come along, look out for the guy with the bandanna and glasses, and i'll make sure to say hi. there for 7, at the Astroturf, on thursdays.

[hr]
Cain

Re:

Postby ane on Sat Sep 27, 2003 3:24 pm

thanks for that response, Cain. You'll have noticed I didn't go on thursday. I actually spoke to the girls from the uni's hockey club today and they said they can provide me with sticks there so I've decided to play on the uni's team as it seems to be the cheaper option (even if it means losing more often, sniff!).

Thanks again anyway and good luck for your season.
ane

Re:

Postby Guest on Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:44 pm

Quoting Mario from 14:45, 16th Sep 2003
....what's wrong with the uni club - lack of talent, lack of resources. They play on our pitches for gods sake.

I went to Madras and am now at St A uni and the attitude of Madras it give everyone an equal shot, I went along to some of the uni hockey practices and if you aren't fantastic, you get as fair a shot as they great players. It seems to be all about winning rather than having fun. The madras FP team carries the same attitude of fairness as the school itself does. It is fantastic that people are made aware of the alternitive if they aren't enjoying the uni team.

Return to Sport (Athletic Union)