Home

TheSinner.net

Questions About Water Polo

Whether it is Sunday league, university or professional sport you are interested in, this is the message board for you. We want your questions, comments, and views.

Questions About Water Polo

Postby Ann on Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:55 pm

My friend is inviting me to watch a water polo match in a university where I live. Other than knowing about fit guys in speedoes, I know absolutely NOTHING about water polo. Can anyone help me on how this sport works? What are the rules? How do you score? How can you be penalize, etc.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Ann

best sport ... ever

Postby dan greenberg on Fri Oct 17, 2003 9:56 am

Hey Ann, if you have a chance to go to a good water polo match, do not turn it down! Aside from being the sport I most like to play (the best sport!), it's also the only sport I can stand to watch!
Generally, there is not much of an audience at a match, so you can get some really great poolside seats.
But in terms of rules, you can always go to USAwaterpolo.com, and find a definitive 13 page list of rules for waterpolo in the USA, or I can just give you a brief overview (glad to).
In water polo, there are two teams of 7 in a pool: one goalie and six fielders per team. The goal is to move the ball down the pool and into the goal at the far end, much like football, complete with ball dribbling. Only water polo is better. Because in water polo, anything that happens under the surface of the water is legitimate, if not legal, and one will usually get away with it. Provides lots of fun yelling at the ref. when you see a foul that the ref. won't call, like I said, great spectator sport.
Usually, an offensive team will set up at the other end and run drills between half-tank and the two meters trying to open up off a defender and shoot the ball. Otherwise, a team will have a fast break where the offense is screaming away from their side of the pool towards open water, staying open and waiting for the ball, then firing right away.
Like I said, this is the best sport I have ever played, and the best sport I have ever watched. Foaming white water, lots of screaming, and quick action, enjoy!
dan greenberg

Return to Sport (Athletic Union)