Home

TheSinner.net

Parkour In St Andrews

Whether it is Sunday league, university or professional sport you are interested in, this is the message board for you. We want your questions, comments, and views.

Parkour In St Andrews

Postby Trip on Mon Oct 27, 2003 10:28 am

I've Just recently started Parkour (also known as Free-running) the kind of thing that was on that Jump london TV show on Channel 4 and that BBC advert where the guy runs home over the roofs to get back to his TV in time. But anyway, i recently started at home in edinburgh and i have got back into the swing of things after an injury, but have to do it alone as all my flatmates don't seem up for it. what i'm basically saying is that if anyone wants to join in that would be cool, as i said i'm new to this and am not advanced at all, so i'm looking for any people who would like to meet up. I tend to do it in the area around the Physics building as theres a lot of cool plases to jump and vault. If you've never done it before thats cool, as your not far behind me, and if you have then thats cool as it would be good to get someone with some experience. If you want to know more about it try http://www.urbanfreeflow.com/

Cheers
Trip

Re:

Postby MrGreedy on Mon Oct 27, 2003 5:48 pm

Just out of interest, wouldn't it make more sense to call it parcour? I'm not suggesting you've made a mistake (having seen details on the url), but I presume its derivation if from the French parcourir which means:
parcourir
verbe transitif
[+ trajet, distance] to cover
[+ article, livre] to skim ou glance through
[+ lieu] to go all over; travel up and down
[frisson, vibration] to run through
MrGreedy

Re:

Postby Cain on Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:08 pm

[s]MrGreedy wrote on 17:48, 27th Oct 2003:
Just out of interest, wouldn't it make more sense to call it par[i]cour
?
[/i]

but it's a hardkore sport!

[hr]
I hold an element of surprise
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Trip on Mon Oct 27, 2003 10:34 pm

Your right it is french, the sport was created by a frenchman called David Belle about 10 years ago. His philosophy is: "Le Parkour - or the Art of Movement - is a way of using the obstacles found in one's path to perform jumps and acrobatics...Everything must combine speed, fluidity, aesthetics and originality,"

It is indeed misspelled, intentionally I've heard, but why, i do not know...
Trip

Re:

Postby Malkier on Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:27 pm

Free-running and parkour are not the same thing by any means. Whilst free-running is about showing off parkour is about effciency and art.

[hr]

Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
Malkier

S.A.P.K

Postby Stuart M Wilson on Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:13 pm

hey man. Im a member and founder of the st andrews parkour team or S.A.P.K, we meet up every wed at four outside the council carpark along from woolworths and hit the hotspots including the physics building. There is normally bout 8 of us ranging in age.
Stuart M Wilson

WRONG

Postby Stuart M Wilson on Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:13 pm

em no thats not right, free-running is just the english version, parkour is the french but there both the same, whats not the same is tricking, thats flips and somersaults etc. parkour/freerunning is about the freedom of movement through your surroundings and using every obstacle as a tool to further that movement.
Stuart M Wilson

Return to Sport (Athletic Union)