Home

TheSinner.net

where can i find internships/scholarships in filmmaking?

For the discussion, promotion and review of any and all theatre in St Andrews - student, amateur or professional. Mermaids (the University's theatre funding body) would like to hear any suggestions or criticism you may have about how to improve drama and the performing arts in student life.

where can i find internships/scholarships in filmmaking?

Postby highway_to_hell1982 on Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:51 am

especially in the US? can anyone make any suggestions?

also, what opportunities does mermaids offer as far as BEHIND THE SCENES goes? i wish to gain experience in writing and directing (not acting)?

thanks
highway_to_hell1982

Getting Involved

Postby Ben Spiers on Wed Jun 18, 2003 6:03 pm

Film-making is such a hot subject that I doubt that you can get scholarships at all. Channel 4 run the Young Directors' Scheme [check website] but I think this is theatre based and in Britain only.

As for your other query: Mermaids is entirely run by YOU. There is no clique of writers / directors / actors. The society (of which everyone is a member) relies on students coming forward with ideas for shows. So:

To Direct - attend the first meeting of next year (Thursdays at 1pm in Committee Room on Union top floor) and say hello to the Committee, who can advise you on money and venues, and anything else theatrical. If you have an idea for a show, we can supply cash, costumes, technical expertise and advice on all aspects of production.

To Write - why not enter our One Act Play Competition? Entries in 2nd Semester and you could win £50 - £100, and see your play staged! Or just come to a meeting and ask about putting on a new show! We have sent one student-written show ("Romance") to the Fringe this year, and funded two.

Hope to see you in September!
Ben Spiers

Return to Performing Arts (Mermaids)