Home

TheSinner.net

follies

For the discussion, promotion and review of any and all theatre in St Andrews - student, amateur or professional. Mermaids (the University's theatre funding body) would like to hear any suggestions or criticism you may have about how to improve drama and the performing arts in student life.

follies

Postby Guest on Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:50 pm

Hi,
I auditioned for 'follies', gave them my email address and was never contacted again: i didn't get a formal rejection, but didn't get a formal call-back either.
What is the point in even asking for a contact address if it isn't used? I had no idea where to look for information,and as aresult missed the opportunity to be in the play. I later learned that my name actually was on the call back list, it's just that no-one bothered to let me know.
This message sounds as if I'm furious; i'm actually not too bothered but i do think the system needs abit of a revision.
Anyone else had a similar experience?

Politesse

Postby Ben Spiers on Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:54 pm

The system does indeed need a small amount of revision, not least to spread awareness of the Mermaids noticeboard [top floor of Union] where all cast lists are posted. It is convention in the business not to contact you if you don't get a job - it's polite in am-dram to contact everyone who auditioned, but not essential.

Congratulations on getting into "Follies"! I look forward to the show.

[hr]
www.yourunion.net
Ben Spiers

follies audition

Postby indigo on Tue Nov 25, 2003 7:43 pm

[s]Unregisted User wrote on 14:00, 20th Oct 2003:

I auditioned for 'follies', gave them my email address and was never contacted again: i didn't get a formal rejection, but didn't get a formal call-back either.
What is the point in even asking for a contact address if it isn't used? I had no idea where to look for information,and as aresult missed the opportunity to be in the play. I later learned that my name actually was on the call back list, it's just that no-one bothered to let me know.

I posted a reply to this a couple of weeks ago, but as an unregistered user and I must have done it wrong or something, anyway, apologies for the delay. As a member of both the Follies cast and the committee of Just So I feel I can give you a fairly clear explanation - it all really came down to an unfortunate technical glitch and time constraints that were beyond our control. An email was in fact sent out to everyone who auditioned for Follies, including those who were not called back. Unfortunately, due to some mysterious crossed wires involving webmail/incorrect email addresses many of these emails weren't recieved. I myself did not recieve mine either. We didn't realize just how many people hadn't recieved the email until the callback began. We couldn't reschedule the callback, and for most people, the email was the only contact info we had anyway. As mentioned in the other reply, lists are customarily posted on the theatre board outside the salad bowl on the second floor of the union, where you will know now to check for next time. My best advice for you is to always check the message board, and if you are unsure at all, ASK! Most audition advertisements have contact info...don't be afraid to get in contact if you're unsure. Especially here, where, as was also previously mentioned, it is polite to let everyone who auditioned know the results, not just those lucky enough to make the list.

I am very sorry for your experience, I agree its an imperfect system - but once you know how it works, it gets the job done. Good luck on your future auditions; I hope this hasn't put you off the St Andrews theatre scene completely! If you're interested in musical theatre, and would like further information about Just So events and performances, email justso@st-andrews.ac.uk, and we'll put you on the email list. Similarly, for information on all things theatre in St Andrews, email mermaids@st-andrews.ac.uk.
indigo

Follies Call Back mix up

Postby follies on Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:17 pm

Sorry to hear about your experience...its a shame you missed follies, but I think I can explain to prevent something like this happening again. Emails were sent out to everyone on the callback list, but due to incorrect addresses and/or mysterious complications with webmail, many of them weren't received...I didn't receive one either, but found out through a friend who did manage to get theirs. the list was posted on the mermaids board, but as a first year/first time auditioner you wouldn't have known that. Please don't let this discourage you from auditioning for future productions, or coming to see follies, its going to be a great show.
follies

Return to Performing Arts (Mermaids)