Home

TheSinner.net

2004-2005 Season

For the discussion, promotion and review of any and all theatre in St Andrews - student, amateur or professional. Mermaids (the University's theatre funding body) would like to hear any suggestions or criticism you may have about how to improve drama and the performing arts in student life.

2004-2005 Season

Postby bungalow bill on Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:31 am

I'm going to be a first year this fall and have been acting for some time. Hopefully I'll be able to continue while at uni. I'm very curious to know which shows are in the works for production next year and when the first auditions generally are. Thanks.
bungalow bill

Re:

Postby AR on Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:54 pm

There's a variety of shows in plans, and the easiest way to find out about them is to go to the mermaids booth at the freshers fayre during freshers week. However, a few things have been discussed- the JustSo society is doing My Fair Lady and there also has been talk of Our Town. Other than that no one has officially submitted anything else to mermaids.
"Well la de dah... la de dah"
--annie hall
AR

Re:

Postby S.L.G. on Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:01 am

Not just talk my friends. . .it will actually be taking place - hoorah! See my other post for more information.

There's also Gilbert and Sullivan if anyone's interested - they're a really fun bunch of people :)
S.L.G.

Re:

Postby Midget on Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:05 pm

They doing Macbeth, sorry the Scottish Play, but that has already been auditioned, however a few people usually drop-out so I'm sure you'd be able to get a small part in that if you talk to the director.

They'll probably be quite a few auditions happening at the beginning of term after freshers week.
Midget

Re:

Postby rubbermuffin on Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:19 pm

I'm hoping to have a go at the whole directing thing this year. Anyone got any pointers?
'If something has to change then it always does'
rubbermuffin

Re:

Postby Midget on Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:23 pm

Getting an audience is the main difficulty in St Andrews, so its best to do a play that people have heard of, comedies are more popular, publicity is key, but obviously you first of all want a good cast.

But go for it I hope there's going to be a few plays going on this year, I definitely indeed to be in at least one.
Midget

Our Town

Postby S.L.G. on Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:37 am

Come and Do Our Town (by Thornton Wilder)! It's going up the 25th, 26th and 27th of November. Post with your email address for more information - auditions will be held the first week of term - still looking for a crew - see the notice for Techies on this board.
S.L.G.

Gilbert and Sullivan 2004-5

Postby The Laughing Cavalier on Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:35 am

[s]S.L.G. wrote on 07:01, 14th Jul 2004:
Not just talk my friends. . .it will actually be taking place - hoorah! See my other post for more information.

There's also Gilbert and Sullivan if anyone's interested - they're a really fun bunch of people :)

Anyone know what show(s) the Gilbert and Sullivan society might be putting on next year? Thanks in advance.
The Laughing Cavalier

Re:

Postby niall on Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:53 pm

I was at the G&S agm but have subsequently forgoten! i know its not HMS pinafore, but its "the one with all the girls", or so says nell
niall

Re:

Postby Midget on Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:38 am

Princess Ida. I believe.

[hr]If you give me your attention i shall tell you what I am, I'm a genuine philanthropist all other kinds are sham.
Midget

Re:

Postby indigo on Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:22 pm

There is, however, some contention, with Ruddigore.
indigo

Ida

Postby Bread Roll on Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:58 pm

At the AGM we decided on Princess Ida.
It took for-bloody-ever but the pub afterwards was worth the wait.

Ruddigore was bandied about, but this is how the vote came out. I`m not sure if its allowed to be changed. Who even knows?

[s]indigo wrote on 20:22, 4th Sep 2004:
There is, however, some contention, with Ruddigore.
Bread Roll

Re:

Postby LonelyPilgrim on Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:47 pm

It's Princess Ida, let me assure you. It will be in the Byre, mid-Aprilish. We are currently in the process of looking for a Director and are beginning to think about an embryonic production team.

Anyone interested in being involved in the directorship/production team side of the show is invited to e-mail grssoc@st-and.ac.uk with their questions.

Auditions for cast will be just before Christmas break, I believe, don't quote me on that...
Man is free; yet we must not suppose that he is at liberty to do everything he pleases, for he becomes a slave the moment he allows his actions to be ruled by passion. --Giacomo Casanova
LonelyPilgrim

Return to Performing Arts (Mermaids)