Home

TheSinner.net

Gilbert and Sullivan Society

For the discussion, promotion and review of any and all theatre in St Andrews - student, amateur or professional. Mermaids (the University's theatre funding body) would like to hear any suggestions or criticism you may have about how to improve drama and the performing arts in student life.

Gilbert and Sullivan Society

Postby The Laughing Cavalier on Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:50 pm

This has no doubt been asked a thousand times before, but having become a recent convert to the works of the dynamic duo over the summer, and having foolishly convinced myself that I have some (limited) acting/musical ability, I was wondering what anyone could tell me about the actual society and how auditions work. Do you just come in, sing a song, say a few lines, and hope for the best? Or what exactly happens? You'll hopefully forgive such general questions, but I'm quite new to all this and don't really know what to expect. Thanks in advance.
The Laughing Cavalier

Re:

Postby Midget on Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:35 pm

Try emailing Magus she is the only Sinner I know to be openly into G&S, and she has a G&S quote as her signature.
Midget

Re:

Postby indigo on Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:21 pm

[s]The Laughing Cavalier wrote on 16:50, 1st Sep 2004:
This has no doubt been asked a thousand times before, but having become a recent convert to the works of the dynamic duo over the summer, and having foolishly convinced myself that I have some (limited) acting/musical ability, I was wondering what anyone could tell me about the actual society and how auditions work. Do you just come in, sing a song, say a few lines, and hope for the best? Or what exactly happens? You'll hopefully forgive such general questions, but I'm quite new to all this and don't really know what to expect. Thanks in advance.

The email for G and S soc is gssoc@st-and.ac.uk.

The auditions are pretty straight forward. The MD will probably sing some scales with you to get and idea of your voice/range. Then you'll sing a bit of a song. Then you'll probably be given some lines to read. They'll say thank-you, and let you know when you'll find out the results.

As for productions, theres usually a concert first semester with an unauditioned (I think?) chorus, but you can audition for a solo if you're feeling brave.

Second semester is the big production, and the auditions will probably be in January. Keep an eye out for posters, or join the society, and you'll be notified via email.
indigo

Re:

Postby Ben Spiers on Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:29 pm

The email for G&S, at least in July, was grssoc@st-and.ac.uk.
Ben Spiers

Go Go G&S!!!!

Postby Bread Roll on Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:54 pm

The society EGM is coming up so go along to that too if you`re interested. The date escapes me, but there will be Pringles, I am assured. If you email them at grssoc Tera or Helen or Andrew will let you know.

1st semester is an unauditionned chorus with auditionned (long bloody word) solo parts unless major change is afoot. Details will most likely be revealed at the EGM. Man, it might even be tonight...

G&S in St Andrews is soooooooo much fun. I was in the chorus for Gondoliers last semester and also worked as an Assistant Producer and had the time of my life. The G&S social life is rocking and often involves copious amounts of Gin and PORT which is good. PORT.

Tra la la la la la la , Traaaaaaaaaaa Laaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bread Roll

Return to Performing Arts (Mermaids)