Home

TheSinner.net

Help! A hapless and hopeless divinity undergrad...

For general discussion of postgraduate matters.

Help! A hapless and hopeless divinity undergrad...

Postby android on Sun May 15, 2005 1:11 pm

Hi there. I was wondering if anyone could give me a hand in thinking about postgrad stuff? I really want to continue postgraduate work, and I'm very interested in my subject. My problem is that the St Mary's website doesn't give a whole lot of information, and I'm not sure who to ask about it.
I want to go on to do one of the taught programmes, and may or may not want to continue to PhD level (If possible, I want to keep options open for an academic career) - I really enjoy the research and writing process and am getting a wee bit obsessive about Biblical Studies.
What's the standard progression? I'm happy here, so say for the sake of argument that I stay on... do I do an M.Litt or M.Phil? I know it's harder to get funding from the AHRC for two year courses, but does it make a big difference? I have all the languages I need so far (Hebrew, Greek, Aramaic, German and am working on Latin) and don't know what would be best. Does the postgraduate diploma help? If I were to go straight on from masters level to PhD, does finishing in September stuff up the not-taking-a-year-out-later part of the plan? Also, when in the year does one apply for such things? I'm going into fourth year and am painfully aware that I need to get organised, one way or another.
Also, the AHRC website along with a couple of people I have spoken to say that it's possible to start an MPhil and transfer to a PhD - is this true here? Also, I'm concerned that relying on this could be a bad idea anyway, if there were complications with administration or funding.
Anyway, thought I'd throw that out there - I appreciate any advice.

[hr]

Isn't it weird when the signature is longer than the message? This won't be one o' those.
Isn't it weird when the signature is longer than the message? This won't be one o' those.
android

Re:

Postby Rilla on Thu May 19, 2005 11:28 am

Quoting android from 16:11, 15th May 2005
I'm very interested in my subject. My problem is that the St Mary's website doesn't give a whole lot of information, and I'm not sure who to ask about it.
What's the standard progression? I'm happy here, so say for the sake of argument that I stay on... do I do an M.Litt or M.Phil?
If I were to go straight on from masters level to PhD, does finishing in September stuff up the not-taking-a-year-out-later part of the plan? Also, when in the year does one apply for such things? I'm going into fourth year and am painfully aware that I need to get organised, one way or another.
Is it possible to start an MPhil and transfer to a PhD - is this true here? Also, I'm concerned that relying on this could be a bad idea anyway, if there were complications with administration or funding.
Anyway, thought I'd throw that out there - I appreciate any advice.

[hr]

hi, Okay, I thought I'd reply to give you some help - but I'm a science student and so not sure if the same rules apply for arts.
Also, what nationality are you? it makes applying for funding alot easier if you're British here.

I applied and arrived here to do an MPhil, and transfered no problem into a Phd after about a year.

To be honest the best thing you can do is to talk to people in your department - most departments have postgraduate officers - go and talk to them!
Knock on the postgrad rooms door and just ask people there - everyone has their own personal experiences and most are willing to share and help out!
The dept will be glad to have someone so enthusiastic interested in doing a postgrad!

I applied around november of my final year, and came over for an interview during the christmas holidays - and pretty much straight away got a conditional offer on my degree results.

Good luck - my best advice would again be, just talk to the staff and postgrads in your own dept - ive had tons of prospective postgad students contact me here (in stats) with questions and it's always fine.

[hr]

"Certainty is not the same thing as Truth"
Be good to yourself because nobody else has the power to make you happy.
Rilla

Return to Postgraduates