Home

TheSinner.net

Finding Accomodation

For general discussion of postgraduate matters.

Finding Accomodation

Postby munchingfoo on Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:14 pm

Hey,

I have been offered a Phd place for next year and I wondered what all you guys do for accomodation?

The uni only does 50 week contracts for postgrad students, is that right? That is totally useless too me because I don't have anywhere to keep all of this crap.

What about private housing, how easy is it to find a house where you can stay for 3 years, not just in 9 month or 1 year chunks?

[hr]

I'd like to change the world but they won't give me the source code.
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby physicist on Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:43 pm

The University provides 37, 39, 50 and 52 week contracts (for Gannochy House, Deans Court, Fife Park, Albany Park and David Russell Apartments). 39 and 52 week contracts start two weeks earlier to allow for continuous accommdation from one year to the next.

Private accommodation is often provided on a yearly basis but I gather landlords often give the current residents first offer for the next year.
physicist

Re:

Postby RJ Covino on Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:10 pm

It also bears noting that there are a number of letting agencies in town which have separate lists for postgrads which cater for the longer let market.

[hr]

http://www.ralphcovino.com
RJ Covino

Flatmate Needed

Postby hej1 on Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:32 pm

Room with double bed for let in non-smoking flat on Dempster Terrace, available from 15 February (or any time thereafter) through August 2006. Looking for PG student (male/female) to share. Rent pp/pm is 300 plus elec/gas (appx 75/quarterly). An additional deposit of 300 is required along with the first month's rent. If interested, please inquire immediately at hej1@st-andrews.ac.uk
hej1

Return to Postgraduates