Home

TheSinner.net

are there any history postgrads here?

For general discussion of postgraduate matters.

are there any history postgrads here?

Postby novium on Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:06 am

What's the academic life of a history postgrad like? Specifically the first year, but in general would be fine too. I am just curious how it all works.

[hr]

"those who wish to be feared must inevitably be afraid of those whom they intimidate"
"In anger nothing right or judicious can be done."
Neither the storms of crisis, nor the breezes of ambition could ever divert him, either by hope or by fear, from the course that he had chosen
novium

Re:

Postby queen of scots on Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:19 am

Are you planning on doing a PhD or an Mlitt/Mphil? I did the MLitt and am now in the 4th year of a Scottish History PhD.

My experience of the PhD has been that it is a very lonely time. Unlike scientists that I know, I rarely see my supervisor, and am largely left alone to get on with my work. Meeting my supervisor only a couple of times a semester has not been uncommon.

My first year largely involved a lot of background reading, and then looking at the printed sources which were available here. After that it was on to the manuscript material. During my MLitt year, I'd taken a paleography course, and I don't think I could have coped with all the handwritten documents if I had not done this! Towards the middle of the research, I was spending most of my time in libraries in London and Edinburgh, although I did manage to acquire a lot of material on microfilm, which avoided the expense of staying in London to work at the PRO.

There are research seminars arranged in the school of history, although the frequency depends on which department you come under. The Medieval people always seem to have something going on - I think on a weekly basis, whereas there are only three or four seminars a term in Scottish History. We do get some quite good speakers in though, and it's a good opportunity to get to know the other people in your department.

You'll also get the chance to present your own work at one of the School's seminars, and you'll be encouraged to speak at conferences, or if there are no suitable conferences, then to go and speak at a seminar held by another uni, so you can make contacts outside of St Andrews. I went to Edinburgh last term, for example, as it's where some of the big names in my particular field are based. At the moment I'm organising a conference for postgrads only, which is between St Andrews and Aberdeen.

You should get an office in the school as well - although the space is quite limited. I don't have one anymore, and although I thought working at home would be good, it is most definitely not, and can be very frustrating and isolating. So if you get offered office space then take it!

From second year onwards, you'll probably be asked to tutor in the school. I've always really enjoyed this, although be warned, it takes up a lot of time!! The hourly rate looks great but in reality the pay is very poor.

Oh and something else they have brought in now is skills sessions - I think all first year students have to do so many hours of 'training' - going to various workshops run by the school on things such as presenting your work, applying for funding, writing a book review etc. I think you need to keep a log book now too. These were voluntary for us, although the reviewing one and the lecturing one did turn out to be quite useful.

Ummm, I'm not sure what else to say. Let me know if you've got any specific questions - you can always email me through my profile if that's easier.

[hr]

Life is like a beautiful melody, only the lyrics are messed up.

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100070
Life is like a beautiful melody, only the lyrics are messed up.

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100070
queen of scots

Re:

Postby novium on Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:15 pm

thank you. I'm going to do an MLitt in Ancient History...and then return to the States to go further, if all goes well.. anyway, it seems so hard to get any actual information about what I can expect, even just speaking in generalities. Mostly it seems to be along the line of "Well, you go to do your (post)grad work, and it's hard."

[hr]

"those who wish to be feared must inevitably be afraid of those whom they intimidate"
"In anger nothing right or judicious can be done."
Neither the storms of crisis, nor the breezes of ambition could ever divert him, either by hope or by fear, from the course that he had chosen
novium

Return to Postgraduates