Home

TheSinner.net

Which postgraduate residence?

For general discussion of postgraduate matters.

Which postgraduate residence?

Postby Mans on Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:53 am

Hey, I'll hopefully be coming to study for the M Litt. in Marketing next Sept.

I just need to know which residence is generally better University Hall or Dean's Court. How good is the food, how big are the rooms? just anything that comes to your mind, it'll definetly help.

Many thanks, I really appreciate it
Mans

Re:

Postby Rilla on Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:58 am

Well, University Hall is mainly an undergraduate residence, Deans Court is all postgrad.
I don't know about the food in either.
Both have varying room sizes - you can be lucky or not.
Deans court is also alot more central than university hall.

I guess if I were choosing between those two, I would pick Deans Court.

Good luck deciding!

[hr]

Be good to yourself because nobody else has the power to make you happy.
Be good to yourself because nobody else has the power to make you happy.
Rilla

Re:

Postby Stephanie on Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:59 pm

Quoting Mans from 23:44, 12th Feb 2007
Hey, I'll hopefully be coming to study for the M Litt. in Marketing next Sept.

I just need to know which residence is generally better University Hall or Dean's Court. How good is the food, how big are the rooms? just anything that comes to your mind, it'll definetly help.

Many thanks, I really appreciate it

Hi! The postgrad rooms in University Hall are fairly small, although there's a lot of storage space. They're in the newer (and uglier) part of the building (NOT the older part, as I was led to believe), and there are only six spots for postgrads, on A floor of Lumsden. There is a sink in the rooms, and there's a special postgrad kitchen/common room, which has a stove and fridge, as well as a TV, a table and some fairly comfy chairs. The facilities are fairly old, though. There's also a postgrad bathroom, with two bathroom stalls and a single shower. Food in hall is decent. It's about average for residence food. Don't except anything gourmet, but there are occasionally some really good meals.

The other main thing for you to consider is that postgrads are pretty much entirely separated from the undergrads. So unless you get on with the wardenry or the other 5 postgrads, it could be a fairly lonely life. I was really lucky in that being only 21 I made a conscious effort to befriend undergrads, and as it stands I really enjoy living in Uni Hall because I've made some fantastic friends. However, I could easily see it not working the same for other people. So basically, unless you see yourself being friends with the undergrads, I think Dean's Court is going to be the safest bet.
Stephanie

Re:

Postby Mans on Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:46 am

Well, thanks alot for the advice, it's realy nice of you.
I'll be 22 by the time I go to St. Andrews, so I'll hopefully find my way with things. I hope for the best.
Thanks again,
Mans
Mans

Return to Postgraduates