Home

TheSinner.net

mlitt difficulty

For general discussion of postgraduate matters.

M.Litt. difficulty

Postby jumanji on Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:59 am

I was wondering - just how difficult are the M.Litt. programmes? I'm starting one in english this fall, and wondering what kind of diificulty/workload level to expect.

Thanks.
jumanji

Re:

Postby MadDog20/20 on Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:49 am

Judging by the amount of partying and cake-baking they all seem to do in Gannochy I don't think it looks that hard. Party on!
I listen to feminists and all these radical gals - most of them are failures. They've blown it. Some of them have been married, but they married some Casper Milquetoast who asked permission to go to the bathroom. These women just need a man in the house. That's all they need. Most of the feminists need a man to tell them what time of day it is and to lead them home. And they blew it and they're mad at all men. Feminists hate men. They're sexist. They hate men - that's their problem. ~Jerry Falwell
MadDog20/20

Re:

Postby lauremw on Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:57 pm

I don't know where you were in Gannochy, but from my perspective, everyone has been locked in their rooms/offices/labs, feverishly churning out end of term essays or presentations that have to be submitted. The only people I've seen are when I'm making dinner, or the random break (like this one). Haven't really seen a lot of partying lately either, unless you count the hall party tonight, which hasn't even happened yet...
But again I digress, I seem to be good at that today! :) MLitt, not so bad, just be ready to do real work with the assorted sprinkling of inane crap forced on you by your professor(s).

[hr]
~*~*~*~
"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." ~ Anais Nin
~*~*~*~
"Don't think dear, just do". - George Balanchine
lauremw

Re:

Postby Rilla on Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:03 pm

[s]MadDog20/20 wrote on 05:49, 9th Dec 2004:
Judging by the amount of partying and cake-baking they all seem to do in Gannochy I don't think it looks that hard. Party on!

i think that the phds have it easier - deadlines can be delayed somewhat and have no exams like some mlitts (or mres or whatever). I do agree though - always there is someone to party with. and maddog, you are one to talk - you haven't been partying in ages you've been locked up in your lab. you freak. ;)

[hr]
Anything War can do, Peace can do better
Be good to yourself because nobody else has the power to make you happy.
Rilla

Re:

Postby Sunflower on Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:58 pm

[s]MadDog20/20 wrote on 05:49, 9th Dec 2004:

I believe you are referring to my cookies that I baked last Friday...and if you know about them then chances are you ate them...I was baking to relax after a turning in a difficult paper and it was the first chance I had to get out of my room in awhile...If I find out who you are you won't get anymore cookies...

To Answer the question: The MLitt is quite a bit of graduate work crammed into one year...my supervisor says that in some ways the M.Litt here is more difficult then getting a PHD (shorter time to work), but don't let that discourage you. Most profs here want you to succeed and are very supportive. You just need to be sure you are going to be in a department with people you will be comfortable with.
Sunflower

Re:

Postby Rilla on Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:14 pm

ah, look at this - our lovely gannochy family :)

I bet all other postgrads are jealous now they dont live with us ;)
Rilla

Re:

Postby lauremw on Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:26 pm

I bet all other postgrads are jealous now they dont live with us ;)
[/i]

As well they should be! See you all at the party tonight!

[hr]
~*~*~*~
"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." ~ Anais Nin
~*~*~*~
"Don't think dear, just do". - George Balanchine
lauremw

Re:

Postby MadDog20/20 on Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:35 pm

MLitts are for lightweights. Stop pissing about and do a real degree. And stop eating cake all the bloody time its not good for you :)
I listen to feminists and all these radical gals - most of them are failures. They've blown it. Some of them have been married, but they married some Casper Milquetoast who asked permission to go to the bathroom. These women just need a man in the house. That's all they need. Most of the feminists need a man to tell them what time of day it is and to lead them home. And they blew it and they're mad at all men. Feminists hate men. They're sexist. They hate men - that's their problem. ~Jerry Falwell
MadDog20/20

Re:

Postby warrengato on Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:33 pm

I have no idea what's going on in Gannochy. And honestly, I'd avoid that dump if at all possible.

As far as the original question: I think it depends on which English M.Litt. degree you are doing. I understand that the research M.Litt.s do a lot more work (essays and presentations) than the Creative Writers. But the Creative Writers don't have the deadlines, so things can get a bit hairy if you aren't the type of person to work without a net. Also the research M.Litt.s have a mandatory Research Seminar to attend, while it's optional for the Creative Writers. Plus following what someone above said, the M.Litt. program in general has far more scheduled work (essays, presentations, etc.) than the PhD's, who spend three years researching.
warrengato

Re:

Postby RJ Covino on Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:26 pm

[s]lauremw wrote on 17:26, 9th Dec 2004:
As well they should be! See you all at the party tonight!

As a way of a reminder, can I just point out that the Committee of the Postgraduate Society has a pool of funds which are available to grant/loan to groups of postgraduates interested in putting on social events such as the above-listed party.

Those interested in applying for consideration for a grant or loan are asked to e-mail me for more details.

RJ Covino
SSC Postgraduate Officer
(ex officio President of the Postgraduate Society)
RJ Covino

Re:

Postby Rilla on Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:24 am

[s]MadDog20/20 wrote on 18:35, 9th Dec 2004:
MLitts are for lightweights. Stop pissing about and do a real degree. And stop eating cake all the bloody time its not good for you :)

Oh dear.

[hr]
Anything War can do, Peace can do better
Rilla

Return to Postgraduates