Home

TheSinner.net

100% Handmade Music

100% Handmade Music

Postby AliceChalliner on Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:15 pm

Last one was awesome guys :D
nice to see lots of new musical freshers!
Take note the next one is on WEDNESDAY 15th Oct (because Darkroom is on the Thursday).

Who's coming? any instruement/kit requests?
How important do we feel it is to have the bar open in Venue 2?

xalice
AliceChalliner

Re: 100% Handmade Music

Postby GuyJames on Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:29 pm

My keyboard is ready and available for the 15th for anyone to use!
Dunno how to judge the bar situation tbh. Could do with finding out what it actually took on that Night in order to see how many more asses on seats we'd need and to see whether its worth us having the bar there!

GJ
GuyJames

Postby Zanbato on Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:28 pm

I think you should get a small practice amp and start allowing electric sets.

Considering you mic up the acoustics anyway, a similar volume (or quieter) could be achieved with a small amp and electric guitars/basses. There's a lot of musicians around not getting playing because its acoustic only. :roll:
Zanbato

Postby Delts on Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:37 pm

DI boxes are always an option that are used for just about every other instrument. So far I've still to see an electric guitar kicking about though so as far as I can see there is no need for a practice amp to be there.

If people do want to use an electric guitar then there is the issue with Venue 2 and it's noise restrictions. The best solution would likely be to bring your own device that allows for DI'ing so that you can get the sort of tone you want. I personally would use my zoom b2.1u if I ever got round to playing at them. Then again, I'm far happier sitting and listening or playing with the sound desk :D
If you do physics, panic.
Delts

Postby Fawksie on Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:51 pm

I generally prefer to mic the amp, then you get the sound that the guitarist prefers from their own amp. If they bring one that is. In the interests of portability DI boxes are probably best though.
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Postby Spike on Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:50 am

Speaking as a member of the ent's crew the ONLY possibility of using an electric instrument in venue 2 is through a DI box.
From Rock to Opera
Spike

Postby Fawksie on Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:16 pm

Why's that?
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Postby AliceChalliner on Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:19 pm

We're not allowed because it's a physical impossibility to get a guy with an electric guitar in his hands to keep it quiet!

Rocksoc get away with excessive noise in Venue 2 cos they're one of the biggest drinking societies! (as i am about to go be part of in a couple of hours....) But we sadly wouldn't.

Zanbato wrote:There's a lot of musicians around not getting playing because its acoustic only. :roll:

However you're more than welcome to come along to to the Sunday Blues Jam session - it's open jam so come and join in! kicks off around 9pm

xAlice
AliceChalliner

Postby Fawksie on Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:18 pm

Fair enough I suppose. Just have to wait for the whinging bastards across the road to die off... I especially like the way the Venue 2 blinds have to be closed when the lights are on, because seeing light alerts the neighbours to the fact that the room is in use, and therefore causes complaints :P
Fawksie
Administrator

Postby Delts on Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:20 pm

Spike wrote:Speaking as a member of the ent's crew the ONLY possibility of using an electric instrument in venue 2 is through a DI box.

Not true. A DI'ing multi-effects pedal would be fine as the volume is the same as a normal DI. Yes amps are a non starter but there are other options that aren't amps or just DI boxes.
If you do physics, panic.
Delts

Postby AliceChalliner on Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:19 am

I will reiterate....it's not a *volume* issue per-say....(thus DI's/Pedles whatever don't matter) it's a *weather Bruce will kick my ass or not* issue....and he says "acoustic only"....so im doing it "acoustic only"....

....plus it's called "100% Handmade"...it kinda implies acoustic.

If someone else on the committee/a random student would like to set up an alternative open mic for electric guitars, they/you are more than welcome to do so with the support and funding (within reason) of Musfund.

Possible venues for this are....Beer bar (shutters down aka - no fancy tech set up/fancy lighting) on a Monday.....and i can't actually think of any other possible venues. Tue/wed/thur/fri/sat/sun are all either clashing with other musfund events or with events in the main bar & beer bar.

DRA bar on a Monday may also work.

xAlice
AliceChalliner

Postby AliceChalliner on Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:20 am

Oh and *Blues is open jam*....turn up, ask the band, play.
AliceChalliner

Return to Musfund