Home

TheSinner.net

How to write a funny Article

For constructive criticism and ideas about St Andrews' spoof newspaper. All views expressed inside the rooms are those of individuals and do not reflect the society as a whole

How to write a funny Article

Postby TopDog on Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:42 pm

I got some advice on a friend and am posting it for others to use aswell.

you have some great statements in here but sometimes, they fall a little short due to lack of setup/punchline if you read the onion, they almost always do a setup/punchline format or follow the rule of threes.

both of which make funny writing funnier.

e.g. setup/punch line (from the onion.com).
I believe it was after I attended my third meeting about putting a yield sign on the corner of Dorkus Boulevard and Dipwad Street that I said, "Note to self: City government isn't all shits and giggles." Since then, I've come to learn that being a public servant is both an honor and a curse.
Setup: talking serious about being mayor of loosertown then the silly street names.
Punchline: Talking serious about loosertown again.

as Eddie Izzard points out, most comedy is really just talking bollocks about serious stuff and talking serious about bollocks stuff.

Rule of Three: List three things, make the first two normal or 'straight' and the last one obsurd. they set up a pattern and serve as a setup for you to be rediculous the third time. e.g. apparently these three things make you gay
- Dressing Well
- Like show tunes
- having anal sex with men
Who'd have known?

you can also do this with lists. e.g. (fromt he onion.com)
According to Bogert, the TerrorFirst! van features a rooftop satellite dish, a diesel-powered generator in case terrorists take down the Tennessee power grid, emergency snow chains for use in the event of a nuclear winter, a supply of promotional "Fox 11 News...Looking Out For You" T-shirts and bumper stickers, and a gun rack.

One final point: if you want a few good laughs, you can always use cheap humour or mean humour. don't revert to swearing because you can but sometimes, a curse word or something unexpectedly mean can make a joke very funny
TopDog

Return to Chihuahua - spoof newspaper