Home

TheSinner.net

Internet Poker....and a bad hand

This board is the forum for the University of St Andrews Poker Society. Everyone is invited to post here regarding all matters poker! Also check here for latest society news and events - Poker Society website

Internet Poker....and a bad hand

Postby womble chris on Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:37 am

hello

ive been playing poker on the internet during my summer hols quite a lot rather than try and fail to get a job.
does anyone else find it quite infurating at times??
i've been playing at pokerroom.com where i was having some success but there only fellow regulars during the days so just today i switched to empire poker.com
within ten minutes i lost 100 dollars to QQ vs 62 suited.
$2-$4 limits, different guy raised to $8 and i then reraised to $16 preflop, guy with 62 called $16 and other guy called the furthur $8, flop 369, first guy checked, i bet $20, guy with 62 called, other guy folded, turn card 2, i bet 60 (all in), and obviously he called. jokes!!!
okay maybe betting $60 was too much as id he'd only call if he had two pair or a set, but much less and he may well call with AK say.
sorry for this somewhat rant like first post
what sites do people find good?
i thought empire seemed quite good as clearly there are some bad players there
anyway, im going for lunch and neighbours,

good luck,

please someone reply with a hand of even worse luck and losing even more money in the hand (my pot was about 200 odd) to make me feel better, cheers, chris
womble chris

Re:

Postby christian_harris on Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:10 pm

Bloody hell Chris, $2/$4 games, you must be rolling in it!!!!!

I had 1010 v 99 and I was all in pre-flop only for him to hit quad 9's.

Also my pocket aces always seem to get beaten on Vitor Chandler.... not a happy man :S

Do you play on any other sites? If you email me, I have a list of on-line poker room bonuses - so you can get the most out of all of the poker rooms :)

Christian
christian_harris

Re:

Postby womble chris on Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:00 pm

no more empire poker for me!!!

just went back to play after neighbour. They seem to have weird blind system when NL of rather than say 2-4 its just 2, and so i dropped down to play 1-2 (or '1'), didnt really see any action for a while until picked up the bullets, on BB, two out of 5 callers, so raised a modest 4 dollars, both called,

flop came 37Q, i bet 3, one guy folded, other guy raised me to 6 (this guy had been a loose player so was thinking here he goes again with a overly aggressive play thinking i was weak betting, which i was effectively trying to show to get raised by someone with Qs),

i then raise him to 12 of which he then puts himself all in up to 19 and i have to call, he has Q7 two pair, and just to really rub it in a Q turned.

when he raised himself all in i thought hed hit the 2 pair but had to call.

down 150 in the last hour or so of play...great.....

on a plus a week ago i went all in with 104 dollars, guy calls, i had KK, he had AA, river card K....ouch for him....

i usually play 1-2, as below i find players a bit too tight in general and higher dont find many bad players. i am playing way above my bankroll but feel i am good enough to win so long as the cards arent like they have been so far today.

would be much appreciated Christian if you could send me those bonuses to chrisharveyv@hotmail.com, thanks a lot.

i've only been playing pokerroom.com and just now empirepoker, i tried ukbetting but didnt like there onscreen graphics.

good luck, chris

in a general sense, how to do you think it is the best way to make money?
i have a mate whos won 18000 dollars since september and he plays quite aggressive, but many regulars play tight. I find its best to try to play against muppet players, although the are hard to locate.

[s]christian_harris wrote on 14:10, 21st Jul 2004:
Bloody hell Chris, $2/$4 games, you must be rolling in it!!!!!

I had 1010 v 99 and I was all in pre-flop only for him to hit quad 9's.

Also my pocket aces always seem to get beaten on Vitor Chandler.... not a happy man :S

Do you play on any other sites? If you email me, I have a list of on-line poker room bonuses - so you can get the most out of all of the poker rooms :)

Christian
womble chris

Re:

Postby christian_harris on Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:07 pm

Will email now.

Hmm, well I am a fairly successful player - I keep tabs on my winnings and losses on-line, which definitely helps, as if you make notes on what types of game you're playing and notes on opponents you can pick & choose the best games at the best times.

Generally I like to play quite tight on-line (in stark contrast to my reputation among the poker society lol), but I will loosen up based on the game and my opponents.

I would say to play within your bankroll, as I always prefer buying in with plenty of money to enable me to bully short stacks around a bit, but being a short stack works really well too sometimes :)
christian_harris

Oh dear chris... you muppet

Postby flanks on Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:53 pm

Oh dear Chris, lets talk you through your horrible (apparently) loss.

>within ten minutes i lost 100 dollars >to QQ vs 62 suited.
>$2-$4 limits, different guy raised to >$8 and i then reraised to $16 preflop

Here is your first screw up, lets be honest. Initial raiser to $8 probably has either an A or a K, or even worse both, and yet you only raise him by the amount he already has in. Is he ever going to fold? No, you got greedy, and rather than pick up $14 for free (which a raise to $30 would have done) you decided to gamble.

> guy with 62 called $16

Now you seem to take issue with this... I can see your point, but also think your not paying attention. Bear in mind that you have made a very (and i mean very) stupid re raise with Qs. Not big enough. He knows he is getting a caller behind him, your in pot already, + blinds gives him slightly better than 2-1 odds. Not great... BUT. if you are both raising with A + face, he has far more to aim at than either of you, only a pair puts him in trouble.

> flop 369, first guy checked, i bet $20, guy with 62 called

This is an absolute monster screw up, which can only be described as greed. So far you have succeeded, you got callers, no A or K on flop and you should be picking up a $50pot... but you bet $20??? Do you want a caller? I suggest you dont, so why bet less than half the pot? He calls with 3.5-1 pot odds, hell i would having hit the 6 there, especially if i had you on A+Face. It also created anotehr crisis, which is that if the other guy had checked with AK, he would have called you for 4-1 odds!!! ARE YOU TRYING TO GIVE YOUR MONEY AWAY? As it was you are lucky he folds.

> turn card 2, i bet 60 (all in), and >obviously he called. jokes!!!
>okay maybe betting $60 was too much

You bet it too late. another thing to consider here, is that if turn had been an Ace, he could have bluffed you out with his 62 because of your misplay, and he knows it.

I hope that this is vaguely helpful, and I also hope you learn not to get greedy with Qs (I guess you play Js the same way, and it is a hand with the same problems). You got the pot where you wanted it, and then failed to pick it up on the flop. In a cash game, you arent searching for big pots, but to close out successive little ones without risking your money. In this hand you werent a poker player, but a gambler.
flanks

....finale

Postby flanks on Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:00 pm

and that was the flanks lesson for today...
flanks

An attempt to justify my muppetry poker

Postby womble chris on Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:32 pm

fair play, thank you for the lesson

in an attempt to explain my actions:

i raised up to 16 knowing he would call whatever he had, say AK, and by raising i expected the bb to fold with two players both showing strength in their cards, (and with 62 even pairing on the flop, the likelyhood of no high cards flopping or either of them having PP higher than 6s mean i personally wouldnt) - i wanted one on one with QQ. Fair i should of raised by more preflop, but his $8 bet indicates lower PP or at best AK, and by raising him a lot he may well of folded - i didnt want him to fold (greed indeed)

flop came:
first guy checked, i know i have him beat, i bet 20 as i thought this was enough to get one of the two of them out, and get it down to one on one, or get both of them out as they may put me on high PP with my reraise preflop.
The guy calls with a pair of sixes, a call i wouldnt have made, as he knows whatever the turn i will bet strong, say 20-30 again, if that card is a royal that puts his 6s in big doubt, plus i may still have a PP higher than 6s.
Instead, he got lucky, hit the two pair and won.

I do agree though my major problem is getting greedy in the pots, as then in my brain i either win big, or the guy catched me and i can blame it on bad luck rather than lack of skills.

anyways, my recover is back on for the day, (ive played way too much today, hungover as well...not good...), went back to pokerroom and won 70 on 1-2 5 player table. so at least im only down 80 for the day, of which had a 2 or 6 not of turned id be up 250 (rather than losing 100 on that hand winning 70 odd)

good luck, play better than me! chris
womble chris

about that $20....

Postby flanks on Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:53 am

now put your $20 into perspective....

first of all you state your aim was to get either 1 or 2 of them out... it should be to get both of them out.

secondly, put yourself as the person with 62 now, when the pot is $50 and the guy that raised preflop has only bet $20.... do you still put him on a pocket pair? If you do, then you probably put him on 8s, and it is more likely that you put him on over cards. The reason being? $20 is a very weak bet indeed....
flanks

Re:

Postby womble chris on Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:24 am

agreed

20 dollars was too little

i partly blame that on the fact that i was (and still am) getting used to empirepoker.com as they do have a slighty different betting ways than pokerroom.com

i can see it can be good to get both out on the flop, and many times before with Qs i raise big preflop and then if a K or A doesnt flop then i go all in.

I was being greedy, but at the same part of me was thinking a relatively small bet may show weakness and hence provoke a bluffing reraise as one of them make smell my feigned weakness and then i reraise them all in.

of my still learning internet poker play, i find feigning a weak bet when actually you have a top hand tends to induce a big reraise, especially from loose players which is what i had put the 62 guy down as in the few hands id seen him.

for example, this is probably common and basic stuff, but overbetting the flush draw on the flop, and then lowering the bet if the flush comes, as i said, this may be basic stuff, but tends to induce a reraise and then you put them all in....anyways, im not hungover this morning and am going to try my skills at empire again.....uh oh....

good luck and cheers for advice, chris
womble chris

Return to Poker Society