Home

TheSinner.net

If you were going to buy a poker book...

This board is the forum for the University of St Andrews Poker Society. Everyone is invited to post here regarding all matters poker! Also check here for latest society news and events - Poker Society website

Re:

Postby womble chris on Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:38 pm

cheers, ill implement that as well

ive cashed out my account at pokerroom.com and going to try william hill tonight, cant play for a few days due to beveridging so will try hard tonight!

im going for will hill as they should cashout money quickly according to my old mate who wins loads at it, althought checking the site the graphics look a bit cack.

i can feel the heat from the will hill players rubbing their hands expecting to take my money

ps. do you play internet poker at uni? not sure if im going to continue it or wait till next summer, although going into 2nd year i should have some time on my hands other than golf and bevvies...
womble chris

Chris

Postby flanks on Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:04 pm

I dont understand why you moved from 1/2 NL to 2/4 NL. If you are doing well at a level, just stay there, that is how you make money if you want to make money.

Secondly, im not surprised he called you with A10 on a 2/4 table when you only had $49 in front of u :P i would too!
flanks

Re:

Postby womble chris on Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:11 pm

i should record how much i win at the different limits and whether it is NL or L, as i reckon i am best at 1-2NL, it's just that when im playing well i think there is no reason why i shouldnt move up a limit, especially as there doesnt seem a gulf in ability of players. Sometimes i even think i am more suited to high limit poker as the players are more willing to bet, and the element of my game i think i am good at is maximising very good hands by feigning weak bets to induce a big raise etc
(weakness is not being aggressive enough at times and not folding enough)

anyways, two hours of trying will hill awaits....go credit card go!
womble chris

Re:

Postby womble chris on Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:54 pm

im probably am saying this just because ive been playing way too much today, but i feel like giving it up!
in my account was up at best today to $550 and now on $330, arse!

Good thing im not playing for next few days, beer will help....since that peak on 550 ive just been dealt rags and general crap and people getting their draws! cant play in this frame of mind as literally cant hit a thing, not a thing (well, crap pair maybe).

I know you guys are more experienced and better players, but do you find that you can go up lots for like a 5-6 hour period and then head straight back down, and you wonder how is this the same poker player who went up lots, and is now going down lots!?!

all a learning curve, thats what i keep telling myself, and im sure im not the only poker player ever to be in disbelief! If only i won that darn KK vs A10 hand, that was the first blow in the Harvey KO for today...although i live to fight another poker game
womble chris

Re:

Postby flanks on Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:56 am

Chris, I have played for 8-12hr stints quite often, and of course you have ups and downs. That is why a 2/4 table is basically a stupid NL table. The pot sizes arent significantly higher than 1/2, you simply give more to the pot over 9hands when being dealt rags than you would give at 1/2. The preflop bluffing is also higher at a 2/4.

But basically dont worry about having a down period. When your up you loosen slightly, hit everything, and more than a little gamble will enter your game. As long as you realise this, and notice when it is happening then you should be able to haul in some of your stupider tilts and therefore save yourself money :P Its not only losers that go on tilt!
flanks

Re:

Postby christian_harris on Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:00 am

Jon is on permanent tilt against me, for example!!!! :P
christian_harris

i will become good at poker

Postby womble chris on Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:40 am

going to take a break for a few days on the poker front!
anyways, cheers for advice, see what you mean about the 2-4NL, plus for someone like me who is best at aggressiveness, its easier as i dont have to bet so much to be aggressive.

edited to add the r to poker....
womble chris

Previous

Return to Poker Society