Home

TheSinner.net

Spirited Away

Konnichi-wa! For use by members and non-members to discuss things to do with anime, manga or anything else that comes to mind. No references to hentai please - have fun!

Spirited Away

Postby Dee on Sat Sep 13, 2003 4:59 pm

Going to see it tonight. Jonathan Ross says it's gweat and that's good enough for me.

I'll probably have to fight through hordes of small children in the process, but never mind. The world has too many small children anyway - no-one will notice if I step on a few.

Anyone else going to see it?

[hr]"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you."
- Jean-Paul Sartre
I probably don't like you, but don't take it personally. Nobody likes you.
Dee

Re:

Postby Dee on Sun Sep 14, 2003 10:36 am

Well, almost no small children, unless you count the ones on the screen.

And this was very good. Not just anime good either. I actually enjoyed watching this as much as I enjoy watching an ordinary film. (I'm sure I'll be made to pay for that remark). The animation was superb, the plot kept you hanging on, and Chihiro didn't irritate the hell out of me like most anime protagonists do. Sweet, not saccahrine, with some nice visual humour thrown in. It was very much a chldren's film, but unlike certain other children stories *cough*Harry Potter*cough* it doesn't use this as an excuse for its shortcomings.

It leaves every other anime I've ever seen in the dust.

(Well I try to be positive, and spend more time slamming other stuff I don't like. It is really good though. Go see it.)

[hr]"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you."
- Jean-Paul Sartre
Dee

Re:

Postby General Porkov on Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:51 am

I saw Spirited Away several months ago, when the society Neo-Tokyo showed it in the Salad Bowl one Sunday. It looked good

Doom Lord General Porko Porkov
Deliverance of Peace Through Superior Firepower and Knowledge
Grand Dumby of Doom!
General Porkov

Re:

Postby samus on Wed Sep 17, 2003 12:32 am

Spirited Away wasn't my favourite Miyazaki, but it was certainly good. I haven't yet watched a Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli film that I haven't enjoyed on some level. They are all varying levels of good, in my opinion.

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind is still my favourite, followed closely by Laputa: Castle in the Sky.

[hr]samus
--
"If people who do not understand each other understand that they do not understand each other, then they understand each other better than, not understanding each other, they do not understand that they do understand each other."
- Gustav Ichheiser
samus

Re:

Postby Rezo on Wed Sep 24, 2003 8:36 am

I was very much impressed with Spirited Away when I saw it at the NeoTokyo showing - much more than when I saw Princess Mononoke. Spirited Away and Laputa : Castle in the Sky remain my two joint favourite Miyazaki movies, followed by Porco Rosso.
The future's bright, the future's Lord Jurika and Lady Romio - Secret Guy 5, NationStates AnimeOnDVD
Rezo

Re:

Postby Thomas on Sat Oct 18, 2003 2:04 pm

My dad saw Spirited Away in London and said it was one of the best animated films he had ever seen. I wish I could see it as I am still under Miyazaki's spell from watching Laputa several years ago
Thomas

Re:

Postby Dee on Sun Oct 19, 2003 10:23 am

Does anyone here know if Project Anime has ever showed Laputa?

[hr][hr] "phr33d0m 15 wh@ j00 d0 w17h wh@'5 833n d0n3 70 j00."

- j34n-p4ul 54r7r3
Dee

Re:

Postby General Porkov on Sun Oct 19, 2003 12:09 pm

I think we showed Laputa in the 2000/2001 session, when I was just a society member (The year before I became Da Prez!)

Deliverance of Peace Through Superior Firepower and Knowledge
Grand Dumby of Doom!
General Porkov

Re:

Postby Shandy on Sun Oct 19, 2003 3:22 pm

Did you go to the NeoTokyo showing of Laputa, Dee?

I was there, I loved it : ) Although not as much as Spirited Away.

And Thomas... Spirited Away is apparently coming to the Picture House in November so you'll get a chance to see it then : )
Shandy

Laputa

Postby Rezo on Sun Oct 19, 2003 6:01 pm

Of course we showed it. Who do you think provided the tape? :)
The future's bright, the future's Lord Jurika and Lady Romio - Secret Guy 5, NationStates AnimeOnDVD
Rezo

Re:

Postby Dee on Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:00 pm

After all that I forgot about the NeoTokyo meeting.My flatmate even mentioned it on the Thursday night. Slightly annoying as I'd have like to have seen Laputa.

Oh, a big sorry to Project Anime's evil overlord wannabe for entertaining the notion he wouldn't have got the Society to show Laputa. I asked in case the Society had its own copy that I could borrow.

[hr][hr] "phr33d0m 15 wh@ j00 d0 w17h wh@'5 833n d0n3 70 j00."

- j34n-p4ul 54r7r3
Dee

Re:

Postby Nick Mitchell on Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:07 am

In case you folks didn't know, they've just released Castle In The Sky and Kiki's Delivery Service on Region 2. And I just rented Castle in the Sky from my local video shop, and lo, indeed, it was mighty.

Even better news is that they intend to release all the Studio Ghibli films in the next year!
Nick Mitchell

Re:

Postby Dee on Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:22 pm

[s]Nick Mitchell wrote on 00:07, 15th Nov 2003:
In case you folks didn't know, they've just released Castle In The Sky and Kiki's Delivery Service on Region 2. And I just rented Castle in the Sky from my local video shop, and lo, indeed, it was mighty.

Even better news is that they intend to release all the Studio Ghibli films in the next year!

Ching! Ching! I'll be picking that up some time in the near future.

But I've just picked up Princess Mononoke. Everyone seems to think very highly of Miyazaki and I have no reason to disagree after "Spirited Away". Watching it tomorrow as I've just finished viewing "Big Trouble in Little China". Such a silly film, but really fun.
Dee

Re:

Postby Dee on Fri Nov 28, 2003 3:41 pm

So has anyone been to see Spirited Away at NPH?

[hr]For centuries, theologians have been explaining the unknowable in terms of the-not-worth-knowing.

- H. L. Mencken
Dee

Return to Project Anime