Home

TheSinner.net

Can some1 help?

Konnichi-wa! For use by members and non-members to discuss things to do with anime, manga or anything else that comes to mind. No references to hentai please - have fun!

Can some1 help?

Postby Aer on Sat Sep 13, 2003 11:45 pm

My friend does Japanese at SOAS in london. he's off to Japan nowish.

anyhoo, he likes his anime.

can some1 explain neo genesis Evangelion? basic plot would do.. :)

ty

[hr]Always remember, no matter how drunk you are, that tomorrow you will be sober. and probably will have one biiiig hangover.
I can't believe your head exploded. You'll never be a doctor if your head explodes.
Aer

Re:

Postby Dee on Sun Sep 14, 2003 10:29 am

[s]Aer wrote on 00:45, 14th Sep 2003:
can some1 explain neo genesis Evangelion? basic plot would do.. :)

Basic plot? *Winces*

Neon Genesis Evangelion has a huge convoluted plot that does not lend itself well to a quick summary.

(Plus I didn't understand it :-) )

You might like to look at

http://www.cjas.org/~echen/articles/spr ... 5_02a.html

as it has a go at summarising the plot.

Of course I'm sure someone here did understand it and will be happy to give a plot summary anyway, or clarify the above.
I probably don't like you, but don't take it personally. Nobody likes you.
Dee

Re:

Postby samus on Wed Sep 17, 2003 12:36 am

Aliens (or possibly not) attack Tokyo. These are called Angels. For some reason only 15 year old kids can pilot the giant robots that have a chance of beating the angels. Explosions. Death. Destruction. Whiny boy baka-Shinji. Conspiracies. Cloning. Etc. Stuff gets muddled towards the end. I don't think anyone is totally sure what happened.

Many people point to this as this series as being very influential in the anime industry. It certainly inspired or is said to have inspired some of the more recent anime shows that have giant robots... RaXephon being one. Evangelion is also a series that many fans name as one of their favourites. I certainly liked it. It has action, interesting characters, an interesting (though sometimes frustrating) plot, and it has mecha. =)

[hr]samus
--
"If people who do not understand each other understand that they do not understand each other, then they understand each other better than, not understanding each other, they do not understand that they do understand each other."
- Gustav Ichheiser
samus

This is probably not the answer you are looking for

Postby Leo Comerford on Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:38 pm

Neon Genesis Evangelion is a masterpiece of angst, weirdness and giant robots.

In the year 2000, a meteorite strike destroys Antarctica and causes a worldwide environmental and humanitarian catastrophe - this is dubbed "Second Impact". Fifteen years later, the earth is threatened by a series of mysterious alien beings, the Angels, whose aim is to bring about Third Impact. Nerv, a special body under the control of the UN, is created to defeat the Angels and prevent Third Impact. To do so it develops the Evas, giant robots with the ability to penetrate the forcefield which makes the Angels nigh-invulnerable. The Evas can only be piloted by children born exactly nine months after Second Impact.

That's the premise of Evangelion. As the plot of Evangelion progresses, you discover that every sentence in the paragraph above is a lie. Getting there takes a while: around the middle, the series settles into a cozy monster-of-the-week pattern, before everything starts to go horribly wrong. But then that's at least partly deliberate: Evangelion adopts just about every cliche of the old giant-robots-defend-the-Earth genre of anime, and then twists them.

If you want more information, you'll find plenty of Evangelion websites out there. If you intend to watch the series, however, I strongly advise you to keep away from spoilers. (Such as the plot summary linked above.) I would also advise you to watch the two Evangelion films after you've completed the series, especially End of Evangelion, which retells the events of the last two episodes more explicitly. Among other things, seeing End of Eva will help you understand What It's All About.

Q: What is It All About, then?

A: Neon Genesis Evangelion is all about director ANNO Hideaki's depression and problems with women.

So be prepared for a certain amount (no, lots) of psychodrama about the leading characters' inner torment, especially that of Our (Anti-?)Hero IKARI Shinji, all through the series. I don't want to explain or discuss too much more here about the series' ending and the truth behind all those lies, mainly because I don't want to spoil things before we show Evangelion in the coming year (plug, plug).
Leo Comerford

Return to Project Anime