Home

TheSinner.net

Drawing Anime/Manga Style

Konnichi-wa! For use by members and non-members to discuss things to do with anime, manga or anything else that comes to mind. No references to hentai please - have fun!

Drawing Anime/Manga Style

Postby Thalia on Mon Dec 08, 2003 12:45 am

Is there anyone else out there who likes to draw anime/manga style?
That's the main reason me and my best friend back home got into anime in the first place and i was wondering if i was the only one around St A's who spends time filling up a sketch pad with manga style characters ^_^
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Re:

Postby Dee on Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:36 pm

[s]Thalia wrote on 00:45, 8th Dec 2003:
Is there anyone else out there who likes to draw anime/manga style?
That's the main reason me and my best friend back home got into anime in the first place and i was wondering if i was the only one around St A's who spends time filling up a sketch pad with manga style characters ^_^

I wish. I wanted to, but am too busy. I even picked up a book on drawing anime characters, but I've not got around to reading it yet. I might dig it out again to help me sketch a character I'm creating (and terrorise Leo). If you're okay with others seeing your sketch pad I'd enjoy seeing some of your drawings.

I wish I could think of someone else who's still at the university but all the would-be manga artists I knew of left.

[hr]
For centuries, theologians have been explaining the unknowable in terms of the-not-worth-knowing.

- H. L. Mencken
I probably don't like you, but don't take it personally. Nobody likes you.
Dee

Re:

Postby Thalia on Mon Dec 08, 2003 6:15 pm

I don't mind people seeing my sketch pad, no, although the whole process of people sitting there flicking through it while i twiddle my fingers is always kinda embarassing - it's even worse when the person looks up and goes 'hey, they look a lot like pokemon characters' and i suddenly feel the need to strangle them...

*cue glimpse into thalia's disturbed psyche via a quick ten minute chibi-style sketch*

IMAGE:dewin.oldbattery.com/venura/image.php?id=18646&mtime=1070907296
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Re:

Postby Dee on Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:20 am

lol

I would have asked you to bring it along tonight if I'd checked the board. If you bring it along next week I promise the P-word won't cross my lips.
Dee

Re:

Postby samus on Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:59 pm

*sigh* If only I had the time. I used to draw a lot, but ever since the middle of my university years, I've not drawn as much as before. In high school, I did art to an advanced level. Now, it's very rare that I pick up a pen and draw. My skillz are probably very poor by now. I think had I applied myself more, I'd have a better grasp of anatomy, and other basics.

[hr]samus
--
[s]"If people who do not understand each other understand that they do not understand each other, then they understand each other better than, not understanding each other, they do not understand that they do understand each other."
- Gustav Ichheiser[/s]
samus

Re:

Postby Thalia on Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:22 pm

I never liked Art in school - i don't know how u kept up with it for so long - i did a week of Higher Art and then thought, 'bugger this', and took physics instead ^^;;

Of course i was so good at cramming that i never worked in physics and ended up actually bringing a sketch pad to class with me...but hey... ^_-

I have noticed that i don't have as much time for drawing as i used to...or more...i don't have classes to fill up with sketching...but i'm working on it ^_^

[hr][s]A Question
A voice said, Look me in the stars
And tell me truly, men of earth,
If all the soul-and-body scars
Were not too much to pay for birth.
---Robert Frost[/s]
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Re:

Postby Dee on Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:47 pm

I remember Higher Art, more's the pity. I spent most of my time drawing table cloths, vases, and bits of fruit.

I thought the one interesting part of higher art was the project. I got to draw lots of Eldar from Warhammer 40000 (Space Elves for those not in the know). They're so pretty.
Dee

Re:

Postby Kriedmar on Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:53 pm

[s]Dee wrote on 14:47, 10th Dec 2003:
I thought the one interesting part of higher art was the project. I got to draw lots of Eldar from Warhammer 40000 (Space Elves for those not in the know). They're so pretty.

Ahh, but the Chaos Space Marines reign supreme over the universe, spreading death and fear among all those in their path!!!! MWWWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
(and also spreading overuse of the common exclamation mark)

[hr]
The reason I'm holding on to the floor of the pub is that if I let go, I shall slide off of the world.
The reason I'm holding on to the floor of the pub is that if I let go, I shall slide off of the world.
Kriedmar

Re:

Postby Dee on Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:29 pm

[s]Kriedmar wrote on 14:53, 10th Dec 2003:
Ahh, but the Chaos Space Marines reign supreme over the universe, spreading death and fear among all those in their path!!!! MWWWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
(and also spreading overuse of the common exclamation mark)

Why is there never an inquisitor about when you need one?
Dee

Re:

Postby samus on Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:23 pm

[s]Thalia wrote on 20:22, 9th Dec 2003:
I never liked Art in school - i don't know how u kept up with it for so long - i did a week of Higher Art and then thought, 'bugger this', and took physics instead ^^;;
[/s]

It was mainly because, ever since I was a child, art was the thing I was 'good' at. My brother (we're a year apart, so we were treated as more or less equal) was more popular, more well-liked, had more friends, etc. And I was the quiet one who was good at art. It was my "thing".

We had a weekly assignment for our sketchbooks, and I always tried to relate them to my hobbies. Sometimes she'd give us a theme to work with, sometimes we could draw whatever we wanted.

Also, I'm a sort of person that needs more outside structure, and pressure to complete work, particularly time pressure. Comic book artists typicaly must complete 22 pages in one month (though that number has dwindled as the new generation have been getting lazier). At the time comic book graphic art was something that inspired me at the time (I wasn't much into anime then), in terms of its storytelling style.

[hr]
samus
--
[s]"If people who do not understand each other understand that they do not understand each other, then they understand each other better than, not understanding each other, they do not understand that they do understand each other."
- Gustav Ichheiser[/s]
samus

Re:

Postby Dee on Tue Dec 16, 2003 2:18 pm

[s]Thalia wrote on 20:22, 9th Dec 2003:
I have noticed that i don't have as much time for drawing as i used to...or more...i don't have classes to fill up with sketching...but i'm working on it ^_^

You must have been judging by your sketchpad.

Kriedmar said it was your birthday (I think...memory goes with old age ;-) ). Happy Birthday if it is.
Dee

Re:

Postby Thalia on Tue Dec 16, 2003 5:18 pm

Yay! Thanks a lot! I'm now legally allowed to drink alcohol ^_^
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Return to Project Anime