Home

TheSinner.net

Spirited Away :D

Konnichi-wa! For use by members and non-members to discuss things to do with anime, manga or anything else that comes to mind. No references to hentai please - have fun!

Re:

Postby Dee on Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:15 pm

It is indeed a fantastic film, and I'll have to pick it up next time I come into some loot. I much preferred it to the other Miyazaki films I've seen.

I think I was a little too generous when I raved about the film last time though. On a second viewing I'm of the opinion the film would benefit from a tighter storyline, and some light trimming of the character list. I put it down to the infamous "cultural differences" the first time I saw it, but there is too much detail that seems to come out of nowhere and return there afterwards.

Still, Chihiro was a cool protagonist, and I adored the world for all its randomness - the train scene was my favourite as it was quite focused compared to the rest plus I'm quite fond of this type of scene.

[hr]
"You can tell a lot about a man's character by the way he eats jelly beans."

-Ronald Reagan
I probably don't like you, but don't take it personally. Nobody likes you.
Dee

Re:

Postby samus on Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:28 pm

Spirited Away was good. It had a huge amount of stuff I didn't get because I don't understand Japanese. I have to say, that although it was good (as per usual with Miyazaki), it wasn't one of my favourites. I prefer other Miyazaki films over this one.

Speaking of Miyazaki, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Porco Rosso, and a new version of My Neighbour Totoro will be released this year! I can't wait!

Of course... I still haven't got the other DVDs that are already out. -_-; But will definitely get Nausicaa.
samus

Re:

Postby v01d on Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:30 pm

what are you guys talking about, that movie shouldnt even be consitered anime. Its like Grave Of the Fireflies. That wasnt anime either, just cause its animated by the japanese doesnt mean its anime
v01d

Re:

Postby samus on Sun Jul 04, 2004 8:39 pm

'Anime', by Western definition, is an animated film or television show that is Japanese in origin. Therefore, both Spirited Away and Grave of the Fireflies are anime.

If one is Japanese, 'anime' is anything that is animated, regardless of its origin. So anything by Disney or any Western studio would be considered anime. In Japan, 'anime' = 'animation'.
samus

Re:

Postby Dee on Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:36 pm

[s]Unregisted User v01d wrote on 03:01, 29th Jun 2004:
what are you guys talking about, that movie shouldnt even be consitered anime. Its like Grave Of the Fireflies. That wasnt anime either, just cause its animated by the japanese doesnt mean its anime

If this were correct it would be a shame, since most anime I've been exposed to is piss poor whereas "Grave of the Fireflies" is an incredibly moving piece well worth watching more than once.

However I agree with Samus, and I'd have no hesitation considering them both anime.
Dee

Sentou

Postby Ringo on Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:12 pm

You need to experience the pleasure of public bathing in the local sentou or onsen. Then you will understand a lot of the things in Spirited Away. It is a class film, right down to the obaasan (old woman) who runs the show. My local sentou had the place where you pay, right next to the entrance, that straddled the dressing rooms of the men and women. The obaasan who ran the place was forever straining her neck to check out the gaijin tackle... yes it is true about size, it is one hell of an ego boost to be too big for Japanese condoms.

Why go to the sentou? well my Tokyo apartment was too small for a bath, and in winter the air is so dry that a shower just isn't good enough. Besides it is a good precursor for a drinking game to see who can stay in the boiling water the longest... loser buys the ice cold beers from the vending machine afterwards.
Ringo

Re:

Postby [WSD]-Deus on Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:01 pm

Spirited away (or Sen to Chihiro) is a great film. Truly in the Miyazaki strange-vein, but i love it. The other movies that i like, also by Miyazaki, are (as already mentioned by others above): grave of the fireflies (very realistic, very sad, but amazing), nausicaa, castle in the sky, lupin the third, neighbour totoro, and the one with the beavers with really big ball-sacks (can't remember the name of the movie...)

Out of all the anime-movies i have seen (counting all OAVs, such as ends to series, or the beginnings), my favorite would have to be Rurouni Kenshin - the 4 part OAV.

[hr]<<[WSD] UK PAL Uber Elite>>
<<[WSD] Council>>

IMAGE:www.ibgone.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10023/deus%20-%20best.jpg

"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine! - The dead only know one thing, it is better to be alive." - Full Metal Jacket
<<[WSD] UK PAL Uber Elite>>
<<[WSD] Council>>

IMAGE:www.ibgone.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10023/deus%20-%20best.jpg

"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine! - The dead only know one thing, it is better to be alive." - Full Metal Jacket
[WSD]-Deus

Re:

Postby Guest on Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:06 am

grave of the fireflies (very realistic, very sad, but amazing),

I did not think this was a Miyazaki film. It is not even a Studio Ghibli film. It is very good though. It is released by WB and NTSC. We are talking about hataru no haka??? (firefly's grave).

Re:

Postby Guest on Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:06 am

Ok after a little research I can now say for certain that Firefly's grave is not Miyazaki but is Isao Takahata. He made the film before joining forces with Miyazaki to form Gibli studios. Hence my copy does not mention Gibli but it is now included in the Gibli collection.

Re:

Postby Dee on Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:03 am

Damn you Gibli and your revisionist ways!

Fireflies is such a fantastic film, and we must show it. Cheerfulness and fluffiness be damned! I want the society to cry!

Sorry.

I would quite like us to show Grave of the Fireflies. It would not have been a great choice on the opening night perhaps, but now that's out of the way, I'll start bringing it in until it gets shown.
Dee

Re:

Postby fainpathe on Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:33 am

i just bought spirited away on dvd the other day, as i missed it when it was out in the cinema. It was absolutely wonderful.
Sounds very pre-teen, but what/who was everyone's fave character? Gotta be no-face (when it's not all huge and eating people) or Baby and the bird when Yubaba's twin turns them into a fly and a mouse.
You can't dangle the carrot of reconciliation in front of me while you're riding some other donkey!
fainpathe

Return to Project Anime