Home

TheSinner.net

Anime Project Showings

Konnichi-wa! For use by members and non-members to discuss things to do with anime, manga or anything else that comes to mind. No references to hentai please - have fun!

Anime Project Showings

Postby [WSD]-Deus on Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:35 pm

Even though i'm not on the committee (should've been, but oh well), i'd like to make some suggestions of what animeproject could show this year to make it uber popular and "jizzalicious":

MOVIES:

Kenshin OAV (the first 4 part, reminiscence i think it's called, well, the one that's not the shitty motion picture, and not the end Seisouhen) - perfect in every sense of the word, my all time favorite. it's got sword-fights, political turmoil / revolution, love, etc.

Miyazaki movies: stuff that most oth. ppl haven't seen, not the usual mononoke-hime or sen to chihiro.

The usual suspects: akira, ghost in the shell (and #2 as it just got released before uni started), the end of evangelion (perhaps with death and rebirth, so to recap series first, then show the movie)

SERIES:

GTO (Great Teacher Onizuka): one kick ass series about a student teacher who has to deal with a problematic class - constant laughing.

Rurouni Kenshin the series: it's 95 episodes long (i think, or 97, shit forgot), so very long, but very cool, it's about kenshin's struggle to keep the promise he made to Tomoe-chan.

cowboy bebop: great series from a great director/animator, a new series of his that is currently running in japan (i think) is Samurai Champloo - amazing animation, jokes, fun, directing (takes traditional samurai stories and puts them in this story).

others, that i can write about if ppl want to, or u can just check them up on the net:

initial d, full metal alchemist, gunslinger girl, last exile, naruto (ongoing, now 102 eps), rahxephon, trigun, and wolf's rain.

evangelion - played last year, so, as good/fun as it is, not this year please.

well, that's just me naming some of the anime that i've seen and liked (or thoroughly loved as is the case with most). it would be cool to see some of them again - and i'm sure that it would be most ppl's first time seeing them, which is even better.

thoughts?

[hr]<<[WSD] UK PAL Uber Elite>>
<<[WSD] Council>>

IMAGE:www.ibgone.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10023/deus%20-%20best.jpg

"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine! - The dead only know one thing, it is better to be alive." - Full Metal Jacket
<<[WSD] UK PAL Uber Elite>>
<<[WSD] Council>>

IMAGE:www.ibgone.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10023/deus%20-%20best.jpg

"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine! - The dead only know one thing, it is better to be alive." - Full Metal Jacket
[WSD]-Deus

Re:

Postby Dee on Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:54 am

"Jizzalicious?!"

I'm not sure I want the society to acquire that attribute. :-P

I'm allegedly a "powerful committee member" (the president told me so) so I'll suggest some of these at the next meeting, but I remember something being said about asking members for suggestions at one of the meetings before we decide what series to show this year. I only popped in briefly on Monday so I don't know if this was mentioned there.

The Miyazaki movies would be popular with myself - "Laputa" and "Kiki's Delivery Service" especially.

Rurouni Kenshin would be nice, but I believe we only own the first 4 episodes on VHS, and getting the rest would be pretty expensive (Complete series on DVD - 3 boxed sets at about £65 each I think - it'd take out a large chunk of our budget and the society did show a fair bit of "lone bad@ss takes on the world" last year). If you've seen the lot do you think showing only some of it would be an option?

Myself I'm dying to watch "Utena" and "Escaflowne". And other people will be dying for me to watch them if you get my drift. ;-)
I probably don't like you, but don't take it personally. Nobody likes you.
Dee

Re:

Postby Dee on Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:08 pm

I also wouldn't mind seeing the much maligned "Jin Roh" again.

[hr]Snu... Snuffleupagus is dead?
Dee

Re:

Postby Rezo on Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:29 pm

I think the last time the society was Jizzalicious was when it played the Cowboy Bebop movie (which I had to miss most of, sigh... -_- ). Of course, if you want real jizz, well there was that time Samus held an unofficial meeting to show Uro...nah, I'll save her embarrassment and tell no more.

On a brighter note, who got elected to the committee this year?

[hr]
I've always had my suspicions you were no mere mortal. But I never imagined you actually... A cat... Wait! What the hell am I saying?! Where is that idiot?!! - Nicholas D. Wolfwood, Trigun
The future's bright, the future's Lord Jurika and Lady Romio - Secret Guy 5, NationStates AnimeOnDVD
Rezo

Re:

Postby Dee on Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:57 pm

It has been suggested the no-Hentai restriction on the board is being loosely enforced under my administration. This is not helping.

On a brighter note, the current committee:

President: Sarah Adams
Vice president: Patrick Welsh
Treasurer: Duncan McGregor
Secretary: Caroline Smith
E-comm Officer: Leo Comerford

I don't remember if you ever met Patrick or Caroline, Rezo.

We still need a publicity officer actually. Anyone out there fancy the job?
Dee

Re:

Postby Rezo on Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:36 pm

I don't believe I have. Hello to both if you're reading this.

In regards to Jin Roh, Per was last sighted with the DVD in his hands (or was it Chris?), so you'll need to chase up either one of them if they're still at St Andrews. Speaking of which, have you seen them there? Or Thomas for that matter?

If I may make a few small suggestions of my own for your Spring 2005 playlist, Magical Project S is an enjoyable parody of most magical girl series. Try it. Princess Tutu should also be out by then - it is literally like no other magical girl series out there (Dee, don't run away at the mere sound of "magical girl". No really...Princess Tutu is something special to behold). Finally for those who enjoy a bit of guns-an'-action, Bakuretsu Tenshi should also be out on DVD by that time. Just remember to get the requests for grant money in early.

[hr]
The future's bright, the future's Juraihelm - Secret Guy 5, AnimeOnDVD NationStates story
The future's bright, the future's Lord Jurika and Lady Romio - Secret Guy 5, NationStates AnimeOnDVD
Rezo

Re:

Postby Dee on Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:34 pm

[s]Rezo wrote on 20:36, 30th Sep 2004:
In regards to Jin Roh, Per was last sighted with the DVD in his hands (or was it Chris?), so you'll need to chase up either one of them if they're still at St Andrews. Speaking of which, have you seen them there? Or Thomas for that matter?

Per is still around town. Thomas is living at home, but visits us regularly.

If I may make a few small suggestions of my own for your Spring 2005 playlist,

You can, but given your track record...

Magical Project S is an enjoyable parody of most magical girl series. Try it. Princess Tutu should also be out by then - it is literally like no other magical girl series out there(Dee, don't run away at the mere sound of "magical girl". No really...Princess Tutu is something special to behold).

Feh!

Well, in all honesty "Utena" is a "magical girl" anime, so I've little grounds for sanctimony.
Dee

Re:

Postby General Porkov on Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:19 am

Oink!

In terms of people getting to see Jin Roh, I don't think you'd need to go searching the world to find former President Per. Doesn't the society still have Jin Roh in its VHS collection (subtitled)? [That's how we showed it when I was Da Prez]

Hmm, Per's still around in St. Andrews - I thought he graduated this year (as did I).

I am still getting new anime and series that I've got some of are ROD-The TV, Kiddy Grade & Azumanga Daioh (licensed series but not complete yet). I've got all of RahXephon and almost all of Excel Saga (I also got Photon (Baka Baka Baka)). Other series that look nice are Full Metal Alchemist, Chrno Crusade (recently licensed or coming close to US release) and Keroro Gunzo (Hasn't finished showing in Japan on TV Tokyo yet [10am Saturdays])

Gloomy (Recruited to Doom Brigade by Doom Lord Warmaster Fuzzball Porkov)
Itazura daisuki, otona gumano!
Doom Lord General Porko Porkov
Grand Dumby of Doom!
General Porkov

Re:

Postby Dee on Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:38 am

[s]General Porkov wrote on 04:19, 1st Oct 2004:
Doesn't the society still have Jin Roh in its VHS collection (subtitled)?

It may well do. I haven't ever been shown our collection.

Hmm, Per's still around in St. Andrews - I thought he graduated this year (as did I).

So he did, but he is remaining here another year anyway.

Oh, congratulations btw. Only one more year til I can say the same...

I am still getting new anime and series that I've got some of are ROD-The TV, Kiddy Grade & Azumanga Daioh (licensed series but not complete yet). I've got all of RahXephon and almost all of Excel Saga

Excellent!

(I also got Photon (Baka Baka Baka)). Other series that look nice are Full Metal Alchemist, Chrno Crusade (recently licensed or coming close to US release) and Keroro Gunzo (Hasn't finished showing in Japan on TV Tokyo yet [10am Saturdays])

Cool. Blown most of my money on old sci-fi series lately so haven't bought that much anime. I've acquired the entirety of Nadesico though.
Dee

Re:

Postby Rezo on Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:31 am

Porkov, are you sure that Jin Roh is on a tape as well? I remember it being on a DVD that belonged to Mathew (which was loaned to me, and then passed to Per/Chris shortly before I left).

So, what is Per apparently studying this year for a postgraduate?

And thank you, Porkov, for reminding me of my most beloved series, Read Or Die TV. I'd recommend this before any of the previous three I mentioned. Chrono Crusade is a bit iffy, but it starts off good. Who was the person interested in .hack//Twilight or .hack//Sign after I showed the trailer during a break at the society? Ah, I think I can also add Full Metal Panic to my list of recommends.

Porkov, how are you finding Japan now? I'll hopefully be heading over there in March next year (Tokyo for two weeks).
Rezo

Re:

Postby Dee on Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:44 am

[s]Rezo wrote on 12:31, 1st Oct 2004:
So, what is Per apparently studying this year for a postgraduate?

I don't believe he is doing a postgrad - I think he's just staying in town.

And thank you, Porkov, for reminding me of my most beloved series, Read Or Die TV.

Curse you and all your works Porkov.

Who was the person interested in .hack//Twilight or .hack//Sign after I showed the trailer during a break at the society?

Actually that was probably me. I'd still like to see these series, but if I told people everything I wanted to see I'd never stop.

[hr]
Snu... Snuffleupagus is dead?
Dee

Re:

Postby [WSD]-Deus on Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:26 pm

Jin Roh would definitely be great!

with regards to the kenshin series. well, it doesn't pick up truly till the 20ish episodes with the whole Shishiho assassin, which lasts till episode 63ish. the dvd's can be bought off ebay.com, since they are from china or other countries in that region, shipping fees are all the same (US or not). i remember seeing the full kenshin series, on DVD, for 4 dollars per 1/3 (so 12 dollars for the whole series), plus, around 20 dollars for total shipping fee (all 3 together). similar prices for many major series: for example, berserk, hellsing, last exile, gto, evangelion...

with regards to fansubs, some series have not been liscenced in the western world, so it would be within the legal realm to show them. also, liscenced ones, well, could you show them? :) please :) - i've got lots :)

with regards to utena and escaflowne. i haven't seen utena, but when reading about it, it didn't seem to my taste (or majority of other people's). escaflowne, of which i have seen most of the series, is ok, but not as good as other anime.

<<[WSD] Council>>

<<[WSD] Council>>

[WSD]-Deus

Re:

Postby Rezo on Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:55 pm

[s]Dee wrote on 12:44, 1st Oct 2004:
I don't believe he is doing a postgrad - I think he's just staying in town.

Has he said for how long he'll be staying? Was he there during the summer months as well?

And what has Thomas been up to?

Curse you and all your works Porkov.

Hah! If it helps to rub salt into the wound, Read Or Die TV is also a magical girl series like no other. Paper magic!

Actually that was probably me.

I had a suspicion that it was you. Glad to know my memory hasn't completely failed me. Don't worry Dee, one day you will get to see dot Hack in its entirety. It is your destiny.

But meanwhile, could you tell us what genres of anime you do like, in order of preference? (I can tell where "magical girls" are going to end up - last!)

[hr]
"Yes, dirty thoughts are good. Even if we have to spank it into Mahoro, she'll learn that dirty thoughts are good." - da Original S Man, AnimeOnDVD.com
Rezo

Re:

Postby Dee on Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:16 pm

[s][WSD]-Deus wrote on 17:26, 1st Oct 2004:
Jin Roh would definitely be great!

Damnit, I forgot to ask Sarah if we have it. I'll ask her tomorrow I promise.

with regards to the kenshin series. well, it doesn't pick up truly till the 20ish episodes with the whole Shishiho assassin, which lasts till episode 63ish. the dvd's can be bought off ebay.com, since they are from china or other countries in that region, shipping fees are all the same (US or not). i remember seeing the full kenshin series, on DVD, for 4 dollars per 1/3 (so 12 dollars for the whole series), plus, around 20 dollars for total shipping fee (all 3 together). similar prices for many major series: for example, berserk, hellsing, last exile, gto, evangelion...

I'm wary about these. The subtitles tend to be very bad, to a point where they spoil the series for me.

with regards to fansubs, some series have not been liscenced in the western world, so it would be within the legal realm to show them. also, liscenced ones, well, could you show them? :) please :) - i've got lots :)

You really want to talk to Sarah at the next meeting - let her know what dvds you've got, possibly bring along a couple to let her see them play. I'll pass it on if you like though.

with regards to utena and escaflowne. i haven't seen utena, but when reading about it, it didn't seem to my taste (or majority of other people's). escaflowne, of which i have seen most of the series, is ok, but not as good as other anime.

That's a shame - I really like Utena. I guess it's not to everyone's taste though.

The plan is defintely to show Escaflowne this semester as one of our series (we already have the complete series and we need something we can start showing next week). Hope this isn't disappointing to you.

Edit: Oh, I almost forgot to mention, we've still to buy a new series this semester, and we've yet to decide what it'll be. I suggested Cowboy Bebop as I know myself it is good, but we've left the question open. Perhaps you could recommend some review sites for the series you suggested so I could get an idea what they're about.

[hr]
Dee

Re:

Postby Dee on Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:41 pm

[s]Rezo wrote on 17:55, 1st Oct 2004:
But meanwhile, could you tell us what genres of anime you do like, in order of preference? (I can tell where "magical girls" are going to end up - last!)

Feh! I like anime that parodies other anime or mocks anime in general.

For instance "Nadesico" and "Excel Saga"... but not "Project A-Ko" - God not "Project A-Ko!"

Obviously I'll place Shounen-Ai very highly, but I suspect we still won't show any. ;-)

Magical girls, including RoD, will indeed be at the bottom with hentai. Special exemption is to be made for Utena. A special private hell is to be made for Project A-Ko.

Lone bad ass vampires will be staked and burned, after we kill Integra and prevent the Cromwell Initiative (snicker!). We just have to wait for her to make a mistake - so stopwatches at the ready...

In truth, I don't go by genre all that much. I like "Cowboy Bebop" for instance, but don't get me started on "Crest of the Stars". I'm trying to keep my opinions on an individual case-by-case basis so I'm less likely to say something I later retract, although I'll rant and rave against all deep green anime if you like.

[hr]
Dee

Re:

Postby samus on Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:57 am

Oh wow, things are becoming more active here. I shall be checking the BBS more often.

BTW, "Anime Project"? Did the society change its name?
samus

Re:

Postby Dee on Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:39 am

[s]samus wrote on 04:57, 6th Oct 2004:
Oh wow, things are becoming more active here. I shall be checking the BBS more often.

^_^

Not unless I fell asleep during the last few meetings. Although distancing ourselves from Project A-Ko would not be unappealing.
Dee

Re:

Postby [WSD]-Deus on Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:23 pm

It's definitely becoming more active, which is great, as last year i remember that there was absolutely nobody around.

Concerning ebay dvd's: true, the subtitles can be downright aweful, i wish there was someway to know where the subs have come from. When my friend bought Hellsing, the subs were very good - everything looked proper as well (i.e. the case, the dvd's). The Miyazaki collection he bought was kind of strange. The subs for the most part were great, although at times they weren't timed quite perfectly. The other thing was that the dvd art of the last disc didn't display all the films that were on it. so, it could be a hit or miss situation (perhaps one try with kenshin? as it is very cheap for the amount of anime that you get).

concerning escaflowne: yea, i could watch that, i'm not against it, and since you guys have the whole series, why the hell not :)

concerning reviews: mmm, not really sure if there are major review sites for anime. one bad site i use just to look for series and basic information (the summaries are a complete farce :D) is http://www.animenfo.com. Then there are sites for specific series, such as Naruto: http://www.narutofan.com (anything and everything naruto, which means spoilers, but you can easily avoid that). Then if you go to fansubbing websites you can find summaries, such as: http://www.toriyamaworld.com, http://anbudom.net. to find other groups you can go to sites such as http://www.baka-updates.com or http://a.scarywater.net.

at the next animeproject meeting i'll talk to the committee people about this stuff, but thanks for the response :)

<<[WSD] Council>>

<<[WSD] Council>>

[WSD]-Deus

Re:

Postby samus on Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:31 pm

[s]Dee wrote on 12:39, 6th Oct 2004:
[s]samus wrote on 04:57, 6th Oct 2004:[i]

^_^

Not unless I fell asleep during the last few meetings. Although distancing ourselves from Project A-Ko would not be unappealing.
[/i]

The thing is, if I remember correctly, the reason it's "Project Anime" and not the other way 'round is because there is/was a company named "Anime Projects". It just sounds way too similar.

So, [WSD]-Deus, get the name right, please. O_o;;
samus

Re:

Postby [WSD]-Deus on Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:20 pm

i said 'animeproject' (not Anime Projects) ;). but yea, i'll call it Project Anime from now on, even though the whole of last year it was the other way around (spoken word wise)...

<<[WSD] Council>>

<<[WSD] Council>>

[WSD]-Deus

Next

Return to Project Anime