Home

TheSinner.net

Foreign Beers

Here for members and non-members alike to discuss things related to the society, its events or to pubs in general and the beer within. Come here for up-to-the-minute details of our exciting forthcoming events!

Foreign Beers

Postby Tom Plant on Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:28 am

Thank the gods you chaps and chapesses have started this message board. Living in Japan, I have not had a decent pint of draft British ale for a year, and have been reduced to drinking highly expensive bottled stuff, leading me to start this thread.

Describe a couple of your most admired non-British ales and get my mouth watering. I'll be back next week to replace the 18kg I've lost since being in Japan through copious ale-drinking.

My Foreign Recommendations for now are -

1. Echt Schlaenfehrler Rauchbier, a German 'Smoke Beer,' which does just what it says on the bottle. Tastes like smoked venison, or as some of my less gastronomically inclined friends pointed out, smoky bacon crisps. It used to be available in the Cellar, and maybe it still is.

2. Thought I'd better stick a Japanese beer in here, too. They are mostly what we would consider lagers, but are well-suited to this climate. Okinawan Orion beer is excellent on draught, mediocre in cans, and pretty good in bottles, so if you ever see it, try it - light amber, crisp, great for a summer's evening drinking.
Tom Plant

Re:

Postby The Cellar Bar on Sun Dec 14, 2003 7:26 am

Tam, my man, how the hell are you!!
Good to hear you are still alive and........well?
No fears, my son, the Auchtermuchty Smoky Bacon is with us right now so that's that covered.
And as for the rest, when are you due back, do you need your regular seat and should we inform the Cottage Hospital to cover all eventualities.
Speak to you soon,
Malcolm
The Cellar Bar

I rather like

Postby Ben Spiers on Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:47 pm

the concept (not the actual taste) of the new Sapporo "energy" bottles.

It actually says "For your active lifestyle" on the side of the bottle!

All it needs now is one of those pull-tops like athletes' water-bottles....
Ben Spiers

Return to Real Ale Society