Home

TheSinner.net

Pub Conversations

Here for members and non-members alike to discuss things related to the society, its events or to pubs in general and the beer within. Come here for up-to-the-minute details of our exciting forthcoming events!

Pub Conversations

Postby chrisj0406 on Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:16 pm

Just thought we could have a thread to continue those fantastic discussions we have in pubs!!!

Incidentally, Berwick is in England, and is at war with Russia still!!!
chrisj0406

Re:

Postby Koala Boy on Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:15 am

I thought they declared peace against Russia in the 80s at some point, when the discrepancy was revealed.

I seem to remember that this particular pub conversation arose from the fact that Berwick was still at war with some other country.

Thus the plan was to build a weapons factory in Berwick, insure it for millions, take out bets in Ladbrokes that country x will launch a ballistic attack on Berwick, then launch something at aforementioned country (with a Greetings from Berwick postcard attached).

Then, flee and hope said country restricts its wrath to your weapons factory, and that your insurance company will pay out.

[hr]I am Murray, the invincible daemonic skull!
IMAGE:images.google.co.uk/images?q=tbn:kD6MwnrIVS0J:www.lovecorner.it/peluches/koala.jpg

[admin edit: he spelt "daemonic" wrong, the fool]
Koala Boy

Yes, it has declared peace...

Postby nick on Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:33 am

But, I think we may be able to "stir it up a little"

Someone found lots of artillary shells on a beach near Drigg recently. We can get those and that would be our weapons situation sorted out.

Next we will need som way of launching them. Maybe the hot air we habe been spouting recently can help.

Oh hum...
nick

Re:

Postby hopie on Fri Apr 16, 2004 2:26 pm

Berwick is in England and I am looking forward to our impending war with some foreign power

Heres some discussions for you?

Cake or Death?
Postbox or Cheese ?http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~pennck/pboc/#

[hr]Im not jesus christ, Ive come to accept that now....
Im not jesus christ, Ive come to accept that now....
hopie

Re:

Postby Koala Boy on Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:51 pm

Rice or potatoes?

Veg or salad?

Coffee or sex?

Ah the new hall "either/or" dinnerlady. Life is simple when there are only two choices for everything.

[hr]I am Murray, the invincible daemonic skull!
IMAGE:images.google.co.uk/images?q=tbn:kD6MwnrIVS0J:www.lovecorner.it/peluches/koala.jpg
Koala Boy

Re:

Postby Guest on Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:52 pm

wouldn't the weapons factory blow up the whole town when it gets hit? Not necessarily a bad thing but may wish to get insurance from a non-berwick firm.

Re:

Postby Koala Boy on Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:56 pm

[s]Unregisted User wrote on 16:37, 17th Apr 2004:
wouldn't the weapons factory blow up the whole town when it gets hit? Not necessarily a bad thing but may wish to get insurance from a non-berwick firm.

Well we'd definitely use some huge London-based insurer - after all they need to be able to afford to pay for the damages.

Another problem is that I think most insurance policies would class missile attack as a force majeure

[hr]
I am Murray, the invincible daemonic skull!
Koala Boy

Re:

Postby flossy on Mon May 02, 2005 6:03 am

You were offered sex by the New Hall dinnerlady?!?! I hope you chose coffee!

[hr]

Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the substrate.
flossy

Re:

Postby dundeerulez on Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:39 pm

Being a smart arse never has a time limit...

Berwick is not actually part of England, laws that say they apply to England apply to Berwick under the Wales and Berwick Act. As the name suggests, this Act used to apply to Wales too.

It would be better considered a possession of England rather than a part of England. Obviously it's part of the UK since all possessions were included under the Act of Union.

Parliament for Berwick!

Oh, and btw, there's nothing quite like a good pint of ale. Best of luck to you fellows.
dundeerulez

Re:

Postby Guest on Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:39 pm

more likely to be under an "act of war" or "terrorist act" general exception to the policy than "force majeure", which is more act of God

Return to Real Ale Society