Home

TheSinner.net

Have a Good Christmas

Welcome to the RockSoc board, it gets worse here every day... talk about RockSoc, rock music, plain rocks or other silly irrelevant drivel. All are welcome: members & non-members, of the past, present & future.

Have a Good Christmas

Postby H on Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:30 pm

I post this now, from my mates flat in Newcastle, just before I had out for some MAIDEN! Anyway, im gonna be home tomorrow, and I didn't get a chance to see a lot of you before I left so this is just to wish you all a really good christmas and new year, and I'll see you all back in sunny st andrews for the exams!

[hr]

"I'd like to say a big FUCK OFF to anyone who says metal is dead!" Zakk Wylde 2002
"Oh, you ironic pop-rock fuck!
Don't you fuck with metal!" Devin Townsend 2006
H

Re:

Postby Power Metal Dom on Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:04 pm

Maiden in Glasgow were fucking awesome. I think I saw the back of Jez's head as we left. Anyway...cheers Henry and anyone who reads this...have an epic Christmas and a Metal New Year

[l]lml (*o*) lml

[hr]

[b]Like flames on fuel...upon power metal I drool

[l]
Image[/l]
Aren't you all entitled to your half-arsed musings...You've thought about eternity for 25 minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions...My kind have harvested the souls of a million peasants and I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your internet assembled philosophy
Power Metal Dom

Re:

Postby angel_kohaku on Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:58 pm

Ina and I got Steve and Nicko's autographs and saw Adrian too :D YAY.

Remember kids, the final episode of Metalocalypse should be hitting the internet tomorrow!

Merry Christmas and Custard :)

[hr]

I have always depended on the kindness of strangers
I may be a pretty sad case but I don't write jokes in base 13
angel_kohaku

Re:

Postby katticus metallicus on Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:28 pm

Maiden fucking rocked, but lets not forget that Trivium were epic!!
i saw the whole of Jez after the concert with a mini Jez (wow that sounded really bad, it was Jez and his wee brother)!
As to other rocking gigs-Kaleb were awesome down in Langly Mill on the Saturday and Cradle were seriously close to making me come all over the place in Manchester on Sunday-their support band Death Stars are well worth looking into and Sabbat were good if you don't mind that every single song is religiously themed.
katticus metallicus

Re:

Postby Power Metal Dom on Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:38 pm

Trivium were nearly booed off stage! I thought it was a little harsh myself but choruses of "Learn how to fucking play!" and "Death to false metal" rang out accross the SECC!

I personally thought they were nothing special, a bit bland and static except when they played Anthem (We Are The Fire) which they did really well....cracking song.

[hr]

Like flames on fuel...upon power metal I drool
[l]
Image[/l]
Aren't you all entitled to your half-arsed musings...You've thought about eternity for 25 minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions...My kind have harvested the souls of a million peasants and I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your internet assembled philosophy
Power Metal Dom

Re:

Postby H on Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:19 am

Quoting Power_Metal_Dom from 17:38, 20th Dec 2006
Trivium were nearly booed off stage! I thought it was a little harsh myself but choruses of "Learn how to fucking play!" and "Death to false metal" rang out accross the SECC!

I personally thought they were nothing special, a bit bland and static except when they played Anthem (We Are The Fire) which they did really well....cracking song.

[hr]

[l]
Image[/l]

Well they obviously upped their game at Newcastle because they were bloody amazing, nonetheless Maiden ruled the evening with the best live performance I have ever seen - truly outstanding!

[hr]

"I'd like to say a big FUCK OFF to anyone who says metal is dead!" Zakk Wylde 2002
H

Re:

Postby David on Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:58 pm

yeah maiden were great! not as good as lori but still great!

trivium were meh, they played ok but i cant stand the screaming, had a laugh with my mate shouting BOAT!!!! RUDDER!!!!! STRANGE!!! MOUNTAIN!!!!! though
David

Re:

Postby katticus metallicus on Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:42 pm

[hr]

[l]
Image[/l]

I didn't hear death to false metal or booing but that was most likely due to me rocking out over in the seated area. Meh i thought they were awesome!
katticus metallicus

Re:

Postby Power Metal Dom on Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:05 pm

Better than Kaleb? ;)

Merry Christmas/Secularist Holiday!Image

[hr]

[l]
Image[/l]
Power Metal Dom

Re:

Postby Jono on Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:50 pm

Merry Exma's to everyone. See Y'all next semmester after I've (hopefully) rectified the pig's arse I made of this semmester's assessed work!

As for Trivium, looking at a couple of their live vids, it's almost as thought they forget the words to their own songs half way through!
[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37105376
Exclusive to The Sinnner, and all other forums.
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby angel_kohaku on Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:42 am

[hr]

angel_kohaku

Re:

Postby Brother Munro on Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:25 pm

I personally thought they were nothing special, a bit bland and static

Merry Christmas!

I would have thought it harsh had the lead singer of Trivium not come off as a prick. I have also decided that Trivium are not for me. Maiden on the other hand were freaking awesome.

[hr]

Courage and Honour!
http://www.everyclick.com/uk/ Search the internet Charitably
http://www.coronarythrombosistrust.org.uk Save a Heart
http://web.mac.com/brothermunro My Page of Random
Courage and Honour!
http://www.everyclick.com/uk/ Search the internet Charitably
http://www.coronarythrombosistrust.org.uk Save a Heart
http://web.mac.com/brothermunro My Page of Random
Brother Munro

Re:

Postby Kriedmar on Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:57 pm

Quoting Katticus Mettalicus - "but lets not forget that Trivium were epic!!"

And this is what rocksoc has come to? DJ's whose idea of good tuneage is trivium?

Quoting Power_Metal_Dom - "Trivium were nearly booed off stage!" - as they damn well should have been! No wonder rocksoc is now such a farce, and I mean no personal offence to anyone but seriously pull you damn heads out! Rocksoc was started with the ideals of classic rock tunes that everyone knows and loves, songs that just won't die and getting wasted with friends, having an amazing night once a fortnight, not listening to rubbish support bands who should never have been given a label. I swear I will do whatever I can to bring back what Greame and his former missus started because right now we should all be ashamed of the levels that OUR society has descended to! And on a much more cheerful note that returns to the origional point of the thread, Merry Christmas to you too Henry and to everyone else, Rock on, drink up and fuck off(as the saying goes...)

P.S. All respect and Kudos to Kaleb who actually deserve a label, Nice one lads.

Rik

[hr]

The reason I'm holding on to the floor of the pub is that if I let go, I shall slide off of the world.
The reason I'm holding on to the floor of the pub is that if I let go, I shall slide off of the world.
Kriedmar

Re:

Postby Captain_Spanky on Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:52 am

Quoting Kriedmar from 22:57, 24th Dec 2006
Quoting Katticus Mettalicus - "but lets not forget that Trivium were epic!!"

And this is what rocksoc has come to? DJ's whose idea of good tuneage is trivium?

Quoting Power_Metal_Dom - "Trivium were nearly booed off stage!" - as they damn well should have been! No wonder rocksoc is now such a farce, and I mean no personal offence to anyone but seriously pull you damn heads out! Rocksoc was started with the ideals of classic rock tunes that everyone knows and loves, songs that just won't die and getting wasted with friends, having an amazing night once a fortnight, not listening to rubbish support bands who should never have been given a label. I swear I will do whatever I can to bring back what Greame and his former missus started because right now we should all be ashamed of the levels that OUR society has descended to! And on a much more cheerful note that returns to the origional point of the thread, Merry Christmas to you too Henry and to everyone else, Rock on, drink up and fuck off(as the saying goes...)

P.S. All respect and Kudos to Kaleb who actually deserve a label, Nice one lads.

Rik

[hr]

To be honest it sounds like you're the one missing the "point of rocksoc". Seems like you should be the one "pulling their head out". Rock changes. Bands people like change. Trivium are a popular metal band for a reason. Merry Christmas. But seriously. No. That is an incredibly unfair thing to say, and I think most people would argue against it, whether they like Trivium are not. Grehame started this society 16 years ago, and in that time music changed a lot. Grunge, Nu-Metal and Pop Punk for example all became staples of the rock genre. In fact, although Classic Rock will always have a place at rocksoc, calling it the primary focus of the society is just wrong. You might WISH it was the focus which is fine (and I why I eagerly await your forthcoming cd) but frankly Rock will always contain controversial bands, whether it's because of their popularity, attitude or style. Hell I know how much you like Dragonforce, and I also know how many people call them a travesty to rock, and "flase metal". So there you go.

[hr]

Beatrice - Darling. Dearest. Dead.
Captain_Spanky

Re:

Postby H on Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:59 am

God, I have to admit, I cant understand why people cant enjoy themselves. Screw the music. The curse of ROCKsoc is that it has to be diverse. Hell, ive sat there for a whole evening and hated every single fucking song played. But, I still try and enjoy myself. The idea is to have a night out, a few drinks with your mates, and to you have a good time. If good music gets played the fucking ace, but I dont know why everyone in rocksoc has suddenly become so opinionated! I'm sorry but im all for the chill-out, have a good time and just love life in general attitude...anywho, I say once again...Merry Christmas to you all, and a Happy and Prosperous new year!

[hr]

H

Re:

Postby Kriedmar on Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:57 pm

Quoting Captain_Spanky from 00:52, 25th Dec 2006

To be honest it sounds like you're the one missing the "point of rocksoc". Seems like you should be the one "pulling their head out". Rock changes. Bands people like change. Trivium are a popular metal band for a reason. Merry Christmas. But seriously. No. That is an incredibly unfair thing to say, and I think most people would argue against it, whether they like Trivium are not. Grehame started this society 16 years ago, and in that time music changed a lot. Grunge, Nu-Metal and Pop Punk for example all became staples of the rock genre. In fact, although Classic Rock will always have a place at rocksoc, calling it the primary focus of the society is just wrong. You might WISH it was the focus which is fine (and I why I eagerly await your forthcoming cd) but frankly Rock will always contain controversial bands, whether it's because of their popularity, attitude or style. Hell I know how much you like Dragonforce, and I also know how many people call them a travesty to rock, and "flase metal". So there you go.

[hr]

I should apologise, my post was primarily drunken ranting and I think I missed my own point which Henry has articulated far better than I did. I know rock changes, as it should and divesification in rocksoc is the current goal, but (i think...) my origional point/train of thought was that diversification can be taken too far and as Herny also pointed out alot of people are just sitting sulking and not actually enjoying rocksoc. When was the last time the dance floor was full all night instead of just on the last set? When was the last time rocksoc was packed out the door? By bringing back what Greame started I think I meant (not really sure, I was wasted and can't remember posting) bringing back the enjoyment factor of going to rocksoc, It should be something to look forward to and to be talked about afterward, not something that we attend and then whinge about afterward. So, slightly more sober, I apologise for sounding small minded and being offensive.

Rik

p.s. I still think trivium all utter bollocks ;D

[hr]

Kriedmar

Re:

Postby Starla on Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:09 pm

People are very quick to complain, but there would be just as many complaints if we played the same kind of stuff week in week out. We have no way of knowing what the majority of Rocksoc actually want to hear, but the most vocal group this year has been the lot who like metal - which I think was fairly accurately reflected in Top of the Rocks.

Also, I've been DJing since 2003 and there are very few first sets which get people dancing. Does anyone want to suggest a fantastical plan to make Rocksoc suddenly packed and full of happy people? Playing 'classic rock' every week can't be the answer. For starters, did it ever occur to you that maybe, just maybe, there are people (like me) out there who think that Iron Maiden get a bit boring? Who think AC/DC are actually not that great? Etc etc

On a final, slightly more pedantic note, who the hell was actually in St Andrews 16 frikkin' years ago? I for one was 6, and so I doubt many of you can actually remember 'the good old days' >:(

Oh, and merry christmas/yule/*insert festivity of choice* <$:)

[hr]

"We all live in our Fantasy and only endure our Reality..." - R.A.Wilson
"We all live in our Fantasy and only endure our Reality..." - R.A.Wilson
Starla

Re:

Postby angel_kohaku on Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:13 am

Dear Satan,
This year at Rock Soc I would like to see wall-to-wall drinking, drunken stupid dancing and lots of same sex kissing (Either male or female *wink*). Oh and more tittehs!

[hr]

angel_kohaku

Re:

Postby H on Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:09 pm

Would glady comply, but then the union door staff would probably try and kick us out....

[hr]

H

Re:

Postby Jono on Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:25 pm

Would this by any chance be the same Graham whose lately been using his life membership like a brothel reciept? Turning up so he can pour drinks down the throats of, drag off, and fuck people half his age (as was the case last rocksoc)? What a fucking role model!

(but then I'm biased. He's been trying it on with my missus behind my back for the last two months. Waster!)

As for the rest. Same old, same old! I agree with what H said about bad songs. Jez's set at top of the rocks had a couple of song's I quite liked (Including Trivium's new one Ironically). I didn't bother going up coz i wasn't in the mood! Likewise, Kat's set had some complete dross (I'm allowed to say so about an individual set for once, because I know she didn't choose it herself ;P) and yet I spent plenty of time up dancing to it purely coz I was lashed by then!

But seeing as we're on the subject of criticisms of rocksoc, Can I make two constructive, non musical ones?

Tables: While having six or seven large things of tables is fine, splitting them up into lots of smaller blocks ones makes the whole room look a lot more full, which i think kind of adds to the atmosphere.

Posters: Not a major thing, but I reckon they add to the effect somewhat. There's bound to be a poster sale before the start of term. If the committie spent like fifty quid buying up a load of rocky/weird/filthy posters to stick up on the walls, it'd look a lot cooler!

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37105376
Exclusive to The Sinnner, and all other forums.
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Next

Return to Rocksoc