Home

TheSinner.net

Ball?

Welcome to the RockSoc board, it gets worse here every day... talk about RockSoc, rock music, plain rocks or other silly irrelevant drivel. All are welcome: members & non-members, of the past, present & future.

Ball?

Postby Jono on Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:43 pm

I take it we're not having one this year then?

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37105376
Exclusive to The Sinnner, and all other forums.
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby Thalia on Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:12 pm

I've yet to go to a rocksoc ball, would be sad if there isn't one this year :-(

[hr]

You've been nothing but an angel every day of your life and now you wonder what it's like to be damned...
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Re:

Postby Captain_Spanky on Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:41 pm

At present no, there's a distinct lack of funds this year. I can't promise anything but IF attendance picks up there MIGHT be something or other. There may not, but we will still try and do something epic in any case. Bummer eh?

[hr]

Beatrice - Darling. Dearest. Dead.
Captain_Spanky

Re:

Postby angel_kohaku on Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:54 pm

Quoting Captain_Spanky from 21:41, 4th Mar 2007
At present no, there's a distinct lack of funds this year. I can't promise anything but IF attendance picks up there MIGHT be something or other. There may not, but we will still try and do something epic in any case. Bummer eh?

[hr]

Can it involve custard? You KNOW it's a good idea!

[hr]

I may be a pretty sad case but I don't write jokes in base 13
angel_kohaku

Re:

Postby otsegolectric on Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:15 am

I don't like custard...

[hr]

otsegolectric

Re:

Postby flossy on Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:49 am

Can we have something epic involving both fire and meat?

(And custard, definitely custard)

[hr]

Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands, literally thousands of songs about heartbreak, rejection, pain, misery and loss. Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the substrate.
flossy

Re:

Postby Captain_Spanky on Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:33 am

Quoting flossy from 08:49, 5th Mar 2007
Can we have something epic involving both fire and meat?

(And custard, definitely custard)

[hr]

Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands, literally thousands of songs about heartbreak, rejection, pain, misery and loss. Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?

That's the plan. Possibly fireworks and a frisbee too.

[hr]

Captain_Spanky

Re:

Postby Power Metal Dom on Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:51 pm

So why specifically are the funds low this year? Have the bigwigs given Rocksoc less money or have you spent it all up? It can't be the latter surely

[hr]

Like flames on fuel...upon metal I drool
Aren't you all entitled to your half-arsed musings...You've thought about eternity for 25 minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions...My kind have harvested the souls of a million peasants and I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your internet assembled philosophy
Power Metal Dom

Re:

Postby Zak on Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:48 pm

Less people signing up at freshers fayre, much lower attendance at events and generally less money coming in this year than last.

[hr]

Im not getting jiggy, its Parkinsons!
Im not getting jiggy, its Parkinsons!
Zak

Re:

Postby lh30 on Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:10 pm

Hmm, much lower attendance eh? Could that be anything to do with the music selection? I know that's why I don't go anymore...
lh30

Re:

Postby o_t4ng on Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:34 pm

Quoting lh30 from 19:10, 5th Mar 2007
Hmm, much lower attendance eh? Could that be anything to do with the music selection? I know that's why I don't go anymore...

*sigh* Here we go...

I thought we hadn't had a good music debate in quite a while.

*awaits flame war*

[hr]

Tight jeans, an expensive haircut and a MySpace account does not make you emo! Go fix your eyeliner!!

Tight jeans, an expensive haircut and a MySpace account does not make you emo! Go fix your eyeliner!!

[img]http://imagegen.last.fm/basic10/tracks/o_t4ng.gif[/img]
o_t4ng

Re:

Postby Captain_Spanky on Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:55 pm

Quoting lh30 from 19:10, 5th Mar 2007

It's pretty much identical to last year, so no. In any case: Nothing constructive to say, mouth closed/fingers off keyboard. It's easy to be a cock when hiding behind the internet.
However I also happen to know that some people don't come to Rocksoc for a varitiy of reasons, including an over developed sense of moral supiriority, which frankly has no place here. Ditto people who leave a ball after one song with "angry shouty vocals" is played. People like that can keep their selfish, self centered world views at home frankly.

[hr]

Captain_Spanky

Re:

Postby Captain_Spanky on Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:09 pm

But to actually be on topic Rocksoc's low attendance (low enough to not have a ball) is for several reasons. Bearing in mind that the ball has only happened for the past 4 years or so, so it's only been in recent years we've been popular enough to begin with.

Every year people leave the society and last year a good chunk of our membership left/their friends left so they don't come any more. We've also had the epic emo-breakaway of 2006/2007, as well as the fact that some years we get reduced intake based on how many first years feel comfortable enough to come along etc (this can be seen by the reduced compatition for first year rep) or even actually like rock.

A lot of old basterd don't come anymore either, bar Kev, Grahame and a few others, but again partly because their friends leave and partly because they don't like modern rock stuff that we play. But this IS a society for the students of the university, not just for alumni, and also when the hell HASN'T rock been about pissing off the older generation and making them tell you to turn the damn music down?

Rocksoc has always ebbed and flowed financially, it's not like we're in the poorhouse (we're doing well fairly) it's just balls cost a fuck of a lot pre-ball capital (Deposits, rent, security dudes, entertainment etc) to actually get moving.

[hr]

Captain_Spanky

Re:

Postby lh30 on Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:37 pm

I'm not hiding behind the internet, hello it's Lissa *waves* I'm sure you've heard my views on Rock Soc and some Rock Socers from other sources, I'll keep that out of here.
I'm still a student, only been at St. Andrews 3 years, so it's not an old bastard issue either. I enjoyed Rock Soc a lot when I first joined, but I don't anymore so I've moved on. I just think it's a shame that society intake and retention is lower than it could be.
lh30

Re:

Postby Captain_Spanky on Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:43 pm

Quoting lh30 from 22:37, 5th Mar 2007
I'm not hiding behind the internet, hello it's Lissa *waves* I'm sure you've heard my views on Rock Soc and some Rock Socers from other sources, I'll keep that out of here.
I'm still a student, only been at St. Andrews 3 years, so it's not an old bastard issue either. I enjoyed Rock Soc a lot when I first joined, but I don't anymore so I've moved on. I just think it's a shame that society intake and retention is lower than it could be.

But it's not lower than it could be. It is what it is, and that varies year to year.

I'm happy to leave it here to, but seeing as you don't come there's not much point you getting involved. If you had been in the last year, or had actually voiced such concerns before then maybe, but this is just stirring.

[hr]

Captain_Spanky

Re:

Postby angel_kohaku on Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:50 pm

Yes.
We should be stirring the custard instead.

BWHAHAHAHAHAH!

[hr]

angel_kohaku

Re:

Postby Jono on Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:05 am

Every society I'd imagine has fluctuating popularity through no fault of anyone. It's pretty easy to point to low attendance and assert that, therefore, the committie must be worse than it was last year or whatever. They only society that doesn't see fluctuations in its membership year on year is the debating society, and that's only because they claim everyone in the union as members.

That said; There have been a couple of events this year that drew a pretty enormous crowd. The big hair and spandex night for example. The ents rock night last week was also busier than normal. I dunno; maybe they'd be worth discussing at the next committie meeting; assuming that they haven't been already.

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37105376
Exclusive to The Sinnner, and all other forums.
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby o_t4ng on Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:46 pm

Not to be contentious, but there was no 'emo-breakaway'... a few rocksoccers 'joined' eXs, but the majority of the 'society' never went to Rocksoc in the first place and that was the reason for them forming their own group. And there was a couple of nights where a large number of 'emos' came along to Rocksoc... thus boosting numbers.
But the point is pretty much moot since the bastards at the Union wouldn't grant us the go ahead.

Anyway, from a DJ's point of view it is a bit disappointing playing to half a room... but I also know that these things happen.

I totally agree with Jez about the lack of Freshers this year. We (my friends from hall) brought a large group of freshers from hall... but there doesn't seem to be that many others- at least not that come along regularly.

[hr]

[img]http://imagegen.last.fm/basic10/tracks/o_t4ng.gif[/img]
o_t4ng

Re:

Postby H on Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:22 pm

There are a few more than you think, that I know of anyway, they just seem to be hiding away in the back...

[hr]

"I'd like to say a big FUCK OFF to anyone who says metal is dead!" Zakk Wylde 2002
"Oh, you ironic pop-rock fuck!
Don't you fuck with metal!" Devin Townsend 2006
H

Re:

Postby flossy on Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:39 am

I know that in my aged state, I will go to Rocksoc but only for a couple of hours at most, not the entire night.

(Completely unrelated point: please never have strobe lights again. The give me hideous headaches but for some they can do a lot worse.)

With a society related to music or some other aspect of popular culture, the fluctuations are not just due to committee decisions but also popularity in the audience. Rocksoc also had a shit table location at the Freshers fair but that's by the by.

Roll on the BBQ! We can wear formal attire, I presume?

[hr]

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the substrate.
flossy

Next

Return to Rocksoc