Home

TheSinner.net

RockVault

Welcome to the RockSoc board, it gets worse here every day... talk about RockSoc, rock music, plain rocks or other silly irrelevant drivel. All are welcome: members & non-members, of the past, present & future.

RockVault

Postby Power Metal Dom on Wed May 02, 2007 10:17 pm

I'm sure most have got the Facebook invite but as I have been asked to do so, here's a reminder of the loverly Rock related event going on in Venue 2 tomorrow:

RockVault
An evening of everyone's favourite rock/metal music combined with a great atmosphere! Please note this is NOT associated to RockSoc, but instead has been put on by the ents committee due the success of the last RockVault. Basically like a Rocksoc club night - hope to see you all there! Bar is open. DJs are myself, Patrick, Alick and Alex.

8pm - Close
Venue 2
Free entry.

[hr]

Like flames on fuel...upon metal I drool
Aren't you all entitled to your half-arsed musings...You've thought about eternity for 25 minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions...My kind have harvested the souls of a million peasants and I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your internet assembled philosophy
Power Metal Dom

Re:

Postby Jono on Thu May 03, 2007 9:05 am

Sounds like fun; but I can't help but wonder what the justification of this one is? Fair enough; last time there was a cock-up in the room bookings, but why now?

Also, is there a boycott of sorts going on? Seeing as there are a lot of familiar faces on the 'not attending' list.

[hr]

Exclusive to The Sinner, and all other fora.
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby Power Metal Dom on Thu May 03, 2007 9:41 am

I have to admit I'm not all too clued up on the why's and why not's I've just been approached by Gav to help out. As for the 'boycott' I think it'd be pretty immature not to mention pointless for people to miss something that is essentially the same, at the same time and the same place on the same day!

[hr]

Aren't you all entitled to your half-arsed musings...You've thought about eternity for 25 minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions...My kind have harvested the souls of a million peasants and I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your internet assembled philosophy
Power Metal Dom

Re:

Postby Jono on Thu May 03, 2007 1:09 pm

Ah, so there is one! Honestly, I can seejustification. Rocksoc, as a society, provides a service for the SSC that wouldn't otherwise be provided, in return for a small fee from members.

If Ents can come along and provide that same service for free, it's a slap in face! It's effectivly members of ents saying "Rocksoc is crap, lets make overly-judicious use of our positions and make our own!" I think this is highly disrespectful; especially in light of the new committee being elected not one week ago!

The only reason the last one ran, ostensibly, was due to there being a room, bar and equipment lying disused thanks to a booking error! Now that's fair enough. If bar staff have been put on shift, equipment moved in, etc. then the association might as well put something on to make up its losses. However that is clearly not the case here. Is there really any justification in running this; other than an extension of the "What the fuck happened to rocksoc?" facebook group.

If this is to become a regular event then it should really be run by, or at least coordinated with Rocksoc. Issues like noise complaints, damage and so on are going to be made worse by this, and Rocksoc will take the wrap for it. Unless of course you're arguing that the society is surplus to requirement.

That said; I might turn up.

[hr]

Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby flossy on Thu May 03, 2007 8:19 pm

Quoting Power_Metal_Dom from 23:17, 2nd May 2007
Please note this is NOT associated to RockSoc, but instead has been put on by the ents committee due the success of the last RockVault. Basically like a Rocksoc club night [hr]

Exactly the same but different?

I'm not there as I'm doing an essay (yuk) but generally I can only spare the time to go out on the hoy once a fortnight, si it's going to be official Rocksoc all the way for me, I'm afraid.

[hr]

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the substrate.
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the substrate.
flossy

Re:

Postby Jono on Fri May 04, 2007 12:09 am

Meh. I ended up smacking a guy in the face. This will mean I have to march my sorry backside to Wyvern tomorrow and resign whatever it is I have to resign; as an officer cadet.

If Edward Barker is reading this (A false hope) I was out of line with my judicious use of appendages. Meh!

also, that night was funzos. Yay fun!

[hr]

Jono

Re:

Postby Power Metal Dom on Fri May 04, 2007 12:34 am

I wanna say an ENORMOUS thank you to all the multitude of people who turned up and rocked the fuck out!!! WOW, I'm actually astonished at how epic the night was! More thanks to all the Rocksoccers who came and supported rock music in all its forms. And special thanks to all DJs and all the those who's encouraging comments make me even more determind to DJ again :)

See you next thursday and stay tuned for more RockVault!

[hr]

Power Metal Dom

Re:

Postby David on Fri May 04, 2007 12:46 am

was a good laugh, though strange with the yah invasion.... anyway i've found an interesting leaflet about rust 2 rome that has intruiged me...
David

Re:

Postby Starla on Fri May 04, 2007 1:54 am

Quoting jono from 14:09, 3rd May 2007
Ah, so there is one! Honestly, I can seejustification. Rocksoc, as a society, provides a service for the SSC that wouldn't otherwise be provided, in return for a small fee from members.

If Ents can come along and provide that same service for free, it's a slap in face! It's effectivly members of ents saying "Rocksoc is crap, lets make overly-judicious use of our positions and make our own!" I think this is highly disrespectful; especially in light of the new committee being elected not one week ago!

The only reason the last one ran, ostensibly, was due to there being a room, bar and equipment lying disused thanks to a booking error! Now that's fair enough. If bar staff have been put on shift, equipment moved in, etc. then the association might as well put something on to make up its losses. However that is clearly not the case here. Is there really any justification in running this; other than an extension of the "What the fuck happened to rocksoc?" facebook group.

If this is to become a regular event then it should really be run by, or at least coordinated with Rocksoc. Issues like noise complaints, damage and so on are going to be made worse by this, and Rocksoc will take the wrap for it. Unless of course you're arguing that the society is surplus to requirement.

That said; I might turn up.

[hr]

Thank you.

I find it incredibly insulting that this event was allowed to happen. When emosoc tried to form, they were told that rocksoc covered their area of interest. Now how exactly does rockvault differ? As Jono so clearly said, the first one was one thing, this is another.

I'm glad that there are passionate rockers out there, but surely not competing with rocksoc would be better? Especially as the newly elected committee are really keen to hear what people want and want to try and combat the apathy and disgruntlement that seems to be around at the moment.

I hate to say it, but I couldn't be gladder to not be on the committee any more. Having been on...5 committees since first year, rocksoc, without a doubt, is the hardest society to please. EVER.

EDIT: having just received the 'thank you' message on facebook: WTF? What do you mean "look out for the next Rockvault"?! (paraphrased) This is blatently unfair. One off my arse.

[hr]

"We all live in our Fantasy and only endure our Reality..." - R.A.Wilson
Starla

Re:

Postby Spiryt on Fri May 04, 2007 2:01 am

I attended, and I can't see how I'm competing with RockSOC. The fact that this one's free is really not an issue: I have the time to go to a night of rock once a week and, to be fair, if rocksoc ran every week I'd go...

[hr]

I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.
I meant every word I said, But only said half the words I meant
There's a load more where they came from, I suppose will get left unsent
Spiryt

Re:

Postby angel_kohaku on Fri May 04, 2007 2:29 am

Rock Soc used to run every week: not just the club nights. There were film nights and pubcrawls and stuff, so yes, it did end up being a weekly occurence.

It is competition with Rock Soc because you are offering the same service, but free. The first time, understandable due to the double booking of the room. However, we were all given to understand that this was a one off. Call me a stupid arts student but this is more than one off.

But yes, con-crit to the new committee plz! [s]that's constructive criticism, btw, lol :P[/s]

[hr]

I may be a pretty sad case but I don't write jokes in base 13
I may be a pretty sad case but I don't write jokes in base 13
angel_kohaku

Re:

Postby Spiryt on Fri May 04, 2007 2:41 am

But no such events are being organized, at least to my knowledge. Again, if Rocksoc were to organize a movie night, say, then I would also gladly come along. For the record, I've got nothing to do with the organization of the night...

[hr]

I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.
I meant every word I said, But only said half the words I meant
There's a load more where they came from, I suppose will get left unsent
Spiryt

Re:

Postby October on Fri May 04, 2007 9:03 am

Quoting angel_kohaku from 03:29, 4th May 2007
Rock Soc used to run every week: not just the club nights. There were film nights and pubcrawls and stuff, so yes, it did end up being a weekly occurence.

I too remember that rock soc had something everyweek (Mostly cos I remember being pissed off that I couldn't go due to work). Maybe this is something the New Committee can do something about,

It is competition with Rock Soc

And Don't we live in a world that has the veiw that "competition is a good thing"?
Doesn't competition make people try harder to succeed. And because of this "competition" we could end up having a better Rock Soc once the dust settles?

I'm not saying there should always be a "RockVault" event the week after a Rock Soc one. But I am all for anything that makes the committee work hard to make Rock Soc the Best night around.

[hr]

I never thought I be so grateful that my best friend from college went on to become the director of the CIA.
Does no-one feel that giving geeks a justification such as Article 31 a bad move? - Frank
October

Re:

Postby Starla on Fri May 04, 2007 10:09 am

But the union ACTIVELY avoids competing nights - that's why emosoc weren't allowed to form, because they were held to be too similar to rocksoc. It's just a tad too coincidental that the people who are allowed to run competing event just so happen to be on the Ents crew...

And the reason there stopped being rocksoc events every week was because people stopped coming, and it was felt that perhaps attendances at normal rocksocs might increase if people had to wait a while longer and would look forward to it more :)

[hr]

Starla

Re:

Postby October on Fri May 04, 2007 10:36 am

Quoting Starla from 11:09, 4th May 2007
And the reason there stopped being rocksoc events every week was because people stopped coming, and it was felt that perhaps attendances at normal rocksocs might increase if people had to wait a while longer and would look forward to it more :)

But that could also work against it.
Not having it every week can decrease the profile of the soc. May mean people find something other to do on thursday nights, and could make people plainly 'just not care' about Rock Soc anymore.
Double edged sword if you ask me.
I remember in my first year, it had something everyweek. And there was a ton of people at the club nights.
Compared to this year, when it's only on once every 2 weeks, and a lot of the time when I've gone along to drink as much as I can afford, the rooms half empty. But hay I might be wrong, and makeing people wait for it might bost attendance. I'm curious to find out, did it?

[hr]

I never thought I be so grateful that my best friend from college went on to become the director of the CIA.
Does no-one feel that giving geeks a justification such as Article 31 a bad move? - Frank
October

Curious..

Postby o_t4ng on Fri May 04, 2007 11:03 am

I couldn't attend last night, cos I was doing my CS practical, not that I support this at all. I do believe it is impinging on RockSoc, and as Starla has said, the Union actively stopped EmoSoc for being too similar to RockSoc and as far as I can see RockVault is identical to RockSoc!

However, before I properly start ranting, what kind of music was played last night?

[hr]

Tight jeans, an expensive haircut and a MySpace account does not make you emo! Go fix your eyeliner!!

Tight jeans, an expensive haircut and a MySpace account does not make you emo! Go fix your eyeliner!!

[img]http://imagegen.last.fm/basic10/tracks/o_t4ng.gif[/img]
o_t4ng

Re:

Postby Guest on Fri May 04, 2007 11:33 am

the main issue that i think rockvault raises is that they seem to be getting the room/bar/equipment use for free and so don't have to charge. where as rocksoc does have to pay so can't just let people in for free. If rockvault becomes regular rocksoc is likely to loose more people who will go to a free event than one they have to pay for.

Rockvault

Postby Gav on Fri May 04, 2007 11:34 am

Hello fellow sinners and rockers

My name is Gavin Service and i was the one who organised rockvault. My reasons for doing this was firstly to listen to rock music on a thursday night. As far as i can tell rocksoc is fortnightly was due to 'rocksoc burnout', mainly due to the afterparties. However this year there have been few, if any, afterparties. Therefore the draining effect of a rocksoc has been reduced.

I was not going in competition of rocksoc, come on guys this is the second time EVER this has happened and yet there is so much opposition to it, which frankly i find amusing.

The sad truth is that there is something wrong with rocksoc. Attendance is falling and as far as i can gather the level of enjoyment has decreaced as well. Where have the drinking games gone? Where have the pub crawls gone? Where have the movie nights gone? If it takes a so called 'rival' event to change the way rocksoc is then so be it. Rocksoc has been sitting in a comfort zone for too long now and needs change, i just hope the committee are up to the job! If rocksoc continues to go on its ways then i am sorry to say that i will be hosting more than 1 rockvault a semester

Gav
Gav

Re:

Postby Spike on Fri May 04, 2007 11:40 am

Hello fellow sinners a rockers

I am the one who organised rockvault. I am amused as to how much opposition has been raised aganist this, especially jez. Rockvault was intended to be somwhere for people to be with others who share a taste of music, and have a little fun. It is NOT designed to be in competition with rocksoc and the fact that people have percieved it as such is rather confusing.

Rockvault has been on twice now, compared to rocksocs numerous times. How it can be seen as competition is ludicrus. The fact rocksoc feels threatend by it shows that something needs to be done. If there was a rocksoc event on every week then this would not have happened, and by event i do not mean club night. Where have the movie nights gone? Where have the pub crawls gone? Where has the sense of community gone?

Rocksoc is fortnightly due to the 'rocksoc burout' effect, whereby people are too exhausted from the previous week's rocksoc to work or play. This is not the case today however. I believe the burout was not due to rocksoc itself, moreover due to the afterparties. Since there have not been many (if any at all) this year there has not been so much drain on the rocksoccers. Another cause of 'burnout' was the events run every other week: pub crawls, movie nights, open flats, beach parties etc. The lack of both of these gives the impression that rocksoc is apathetic towards its members. If it takes a small event run once a semester to wake rocksoc for its decidance and apparent lack of interest for its members then so be it. I hope that the newly elected committee are up to the challenge of implimenting the nessicary changes to improve the society.

Rockvault is NOT compeition, it is meerly a chance for people to go to a rock music event that is not rocksoc and does not have the stigma of 'Rocksoc'. This will not be the last rockvault.
From Rock to Opera
Spike

Re:

Postby Starla on Fri May 04, 2007 11:57 am

Quoting Gav from 12:29, 4th May 2007
Hello fellow sinners and rockers

My name is Gavin Service and i was the one who organised rockvault. My reasons for doing this was firstly to listen to rock music on a thursday night. As far as i can tell rocksoc is fortnightly was due to 'rocksoc burnout', mainly due to the afterparties. However this year there have been few, if any, afterparties. Therefore the draining effect of a rocksoc has been reduced.

I was not going in competition of rocksoc, come on guys this is the second time EVER this has happened and yet there is so much opposition to it, which frankly i find amusing.

The sad truth is that there is something wrong with rocksoc. Attendance is falling and as far as i can gather the level of enjoyment has decreaced as well. Where have the drinking games gone? Where have the pub crawls gone? Where have the movie nights gone? If it takes a so called 'rival' event to change the way rocksoc is then so be it. Rocksoc has been sitting in a comfort zone for too long now and needs change, i just hope the committee are up to the job! If rocksoc continues to go on its ways then i am sorry to say that i will be hosting more than 1 rockvault a semester

Gav

If you really thought this you would have run for the committee.

Secondly the pub crawls, drinking games and film nights stopped because no one came. I spent a lot of time organising them, making up relevant drinking games for films etc and only a handful of people would ever turn up. We'd lose money because of room rent and so it just wasn't worth it. We had a drinking games night, no one turned up. I reguarly start drinking games and get dirty looks, when the games get put out no one uses them. Also when did you last join in when we were playing Slaps etc? I don't actually see you EVER playing a drinking game. Cos there are plenty that don't need dice, old son.

After parties don't happen because no one volunteers their house except for me, and I'm too far out for most people who can't seem to be bothered to walk to Morrisons. So what do you suggest we do, strong arm our members in to having people round? Especially when you factor in the randoms and house destruction I think not. Here's a thought: if you care so much why don't you volunteer your house?

FInally it would really bloody help a lot if ents were reliable and set the room up on time, and properly.

Instead of taking stuff away from Rocksoc, try putting something in.

Really your post reeks of someone attempting to justify something that was done, essentially, to allow people who can't DJ at Rocksoc to do so, and as a means to masterbate your own ego.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Jez

[hr]

Starla

Next

Return to Rocksoc