Home

TheSinner.net

Thursday Night

Welcome to the RockSoc board, it gets worse here every day... talk about RockSoc, rock music, plain rocks or other silly irrelevant drivel. All are welcome: members & non-members, of the past, present & future.

Re:

Postby Scurve Kano on Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:31 pm

Quoting Eggnchips from 22:46, 30th Nov 2007
Quoting Grant from 14:34, 30th Nov 2007
Patrick,(Dom?)Marek and Gavin - I was intending to give you guys a power metal set first one night and let you DJ it, but some of the other Djs (mike, jez) see this as an insult to them, and i cant guarentee this is still happening. Its stupid as you gusy would have been best for the job.

I'm just gonna quickly reiterate what I said in my e-mail - if people want to DJ, they should hand in a DJ CD like the rest of us did. We got elected by the commitee at the time, so why can't everyone else?

I agree, strangely enough (given that I am Patrick). I support the idea of a power metal night in principle (is anyone surprised?), but we aren't DJs, and I'd be a bit uncomfortable acting as such for fear of upsetting them, most of whom I think of as friends. Admittedly the DJs are not exactly perfect, or above criticism (y'ain't infallible, guys, get over yourselves!), but it does seem odd to reward us for whinging for most of last year. And yeah, the official DJs are bound to be upset.

Now, with, that said, I have applied (again) and would be happy to provide a Triumphant Night of Epic Steel if invited to do so. But there is a procedure that should be respected, if only to stop tredding on the existing DJs toes.

Kudos for the Penny Arcade shout-out, BTW: was thinking this was appropriate for the Sinner:

[hr]

"Oh, and your poet Eliot had it all wrong:
THIS is the way the world ends."
-First Cortana Letter
"Take me to the Gardens of the Sinner,
Bury me and let me rest in peace
Now the time of truth has come for everyone
The fallen angel stands in victory"
-Gamma Ray
Scurve Kano

Re:

Postby otsegolectric on Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:18 am

GAY

[hr]

otsegolectric

Re:

Postby Rothiseph on Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:29 am

Quoting otsegolectric from 04:18, 1st Dec 2007
GAY

Did you even SEE the post above you?! :(

[hr]

6 5 D o e s n ' t U n d e r s t a n d Y o u . . .
6 5 D o e s n ' t U n d e r s t a n d Y o u . . .
Rothiseph

Re:

Postby Grant on Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:15 am

Its incredible that the previous posts have actually lowered my opinions of everyone further.

a)Read my damn phrasing. It was not a power metal NIGHT. It was ONE HOUR 15 MINS.

b)The DJs were elected by LAST YEARS COMMITTE, and whilst there are some good ones, we are also lumped with some people who cannot or will not read a crowd, hence desolance when they play a set.

Theres no point pretending there hasnt been any, because i used to record how well a particular set went down and when.

c)Where has this arrogance come from? This whole crap of "we put in CDs, and its such an arduous process" is rubbish.

The power metal set was to reward 3 members who come here week in week out and who happen to have a music genre less represented. Theres no point moaning that it does get played, because a huge chunk of the more extreme power stuff doesnt.

The bonus was, as stated at the meeting to the approval of mike etc, was that doing one themed set would allow for others, such as a prog set or thrash etc etc. We decided to let those guys do the set simply because they were the best qualified in terms of what THEY wanted to hear.

d)Getting non DJs to do a set was meant to introduce variety, and allow the DJs some time off. Just now its week on week off just about, and its dull. I only suggested myslef to do it as i have just about all the rare and bootleg stuff dime did, and could construct a fairly in depth set. It wasnt meant as a flex of power, it was common sense. I didnt think there would be such over-sensitive and up themselves attitude expressed by certain DJs about such a trivial thing.

Secondly, this point about honouring ALL dead rockers is stupidity. I've already stated that no-where else does this, just Dime - does that not signifiy something a bit different? Also, i never actually said there wouldnt be any other themed or tribute sets. Whats one hour of the first set once in a while?

The difference with dime in this case is that hes been in 3 bands, helped with Ozzy, Anthrax,King Diamond,David Allan Co etc etc. If you compare that to Kurt Cobain for example, he had basically Nirvana and one side project. So you'd have a best of CD on. Elvis might be do-able, but then again, there are probably just as many Dime fans.

Buddy Holly? well, its still rock, but the above still stands - how many more fans of Holly come to rocksoc than Dime, to make it worthwhile over a dime set?

Its petty to try to say one musician has more fans or influence than another.

Tbh, its beside the point. My issue was not the critism of the set, but the personal attack on me.
That, and the constant side-switching going on in the committee. Seriously, its a pretty harsh shock thinking you can at least partially trust people to give a straight answer, and then you see them swerve all over the place, and only chime in when someone else kicks off about it.

The final point is, its pathetic to see someone who is not on the committee manipulate his way to override committee descisions. I totally disagree with how some people have changed side over this, especially as they did not speak up at ANY of the meetings.

-Grant.
Grant

Re:

Postby Grant on Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:21 am

Incidently, tell me THIS isnt personal louise.

Email from Jez:

That is completely abusing your position Grant. That sort of shit should not fly. You can't just suddenly decide you're a dj. You're not. None of the actual DJs wanted to do a Dimebag set so you should just live with it.

Furthermore if we're suddenly tributing dead rockers with pointlessly extended sets full of obscure shite that no one cares about, how about sets for Kurt Cobain,
Buddy Holly, Jimmi Hendrix, Layne Staley and that dude from Quiet Riot who just
popped his clogs?

I'm really not impressed, and it's sending my opinion of
how you're conducting yourself this year further down the pan.

Jez

If i had the older one, then i'd post that two. Then again, you only need to see your opinion about increasing the DJ count to 12 to see that you rarely make a point that isnt personal.

The fact is, we're all (or were) volunteers. We do the best we can, and people like you just make it miserable - if it was even slightly constructive, it would have been fine. Basically that email just says " i disagree, your abusing your power. Im dissapointed in you even more now."

Perhaps Zak should also post the condescending email you sent last night regarding how my actions were dragging the society and HIM (?) down. Trying to stir up shit between us is low man, even for you.
Grant

Re:

Postby Starla on Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:32 pm

Fuck this I'm not stooping to your level. Grow up man*. Personal means attacking you as a person whereas the above email was referring to your job. You think any criticism is personal, which speaks volumes about your own insecurity.

Jez

*This is personal.

P.S. Next time, instead of going off half-cocked and spurting rage over the face of the internet, why not email me privately and ask if I was really meaning to be so harsh? Perhaps saying that it'd upset you, maybe ask for an apology? Because, as I said to Zak in my email, I wasn't trying to upset you. If you'd taken the time we could have sorted this amicably. The ball was in your court and you failed to return it.
"We all live in our Fantasy and only endure our Reality..." - R.A.Wilson
Starla

Re:

Postby Haunted on Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:35 pm

You call this a shitstorm?
This is nothing compared to that time in 2003/2004 when we weren't selling enough ball tickets and tried to politely inform the membership that there may be a cancellation.
Oh my FSM.

[hr]

Now with 100% more corn
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Re:

Postby Grant on Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:50 pm

Quoting Starla from 12:32, 1st Dec 2007
Fuck this I'm not stooping to your level. Grow up man*. Personal means attacking you as a person whereas the above email was referring to your job. You think any criticism is personal, which speaks volumes about your own insecurity.

Jez

*This is personal.

P.S. Next time, instead of going off half-cocked and spurting rage over the face of the internet, why not email me privately and ask if I was really meaning to be so harsh? Perhaps saying that it'd upset you, maybe ask for an apology? Because, as I said to Zak in my email, I wasn't trying to upset you. If you'd taken the time we could have sorted this amicably. The ball was in your court and you failed to return it.

You keep trying to make it sound like its not your fault. Fact is, you keep telling different people different versions of events. I'll be interested to see how rigid you stick to your arguement when im standing in front of you.
Grant

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:53 pm

There isn't much stuff on here that actually bothers me too much, its mostly just the normal internet table tennis argument. There are however a couple of very silly comments.

The power metal set was to reward 3 members who come here week in week out and who happen to have a music genre less represented.

I've been going to rocksoc for longer than most of the people who currently attend. My first one was in the summer of 2002, and besides a brief spell when I moved to Edinburgh, I have been attending frequently.

If indeed we were to use this as a reason to decide who plays what then surely all our music would be dictated by Grampa Graham?

Theres no point moaning that it does get played, because a huge chunk of the more extreme power stuff doesnt.

The nature of a night lasting around 60 songs is that a huge chunk of everything doesn't get played. I'm a Clapton fan, and I can't remember the last time he got played. (although, given how drunk I get I can't remember the last time anyone got played - :P)

We decided to let those guys do the set simply because they were the best qualified in terms of what THEY wanted to hear.

Surely any decision about what should be played should be in reference to what WE (rocksoc) want to hear?

[snip (e-mail from Jez) ]

That was not a personal attack.

Jez, fuck off, you're not on the committee (which has 3 of the DJs on), which gave a consensus decision on the Dimebag set

Dude I'm in Rocksoc. We're all smelly and have stupid long hair and beards. We listen to metal. None of that is cool in the slightest.

These are personal attacks.

In reference to this point I would ask the question, who do we want to control the music? The DJ's or the committee? It makes no difference to me but if there was a clear ruling then such things wouldn't happen.

It seems slightly more sensible to allow the DJs to decide on the music. They are after all elected by the committee, and hence they still would have a vein of control over what is played. To that end it might be more sensible to have had a DJ meeting to decide on a themed set.

I shouldn't have really got involved but it pisses me off that last year people decided that somehow all the problems Rocksoc had were because of Jez.

To be fair, his first purchase was a dildo on a stick.

I'm pretty sure that the spirit of rocksoc is being lost here. Its perhaps because of the name. I suggest we change it to "lets all get wasted and naked whilst listening to some random music"soc.

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby katticus metallicus on Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:54 pm

Aww Jez, I preferred the long rant before the second edit .

Speaking as somebody who resigned from being a DJ because of Grant, I am finding this all rather 'I told ya so'. I saw early on that he was abusing his position by asking for set submissions and then telling people to choose different songs. As I saw it he was sore that he didn't get chosen after submitting a DJ Cd and so ran for ENTs so he could intrude in what those chosen over him played. It looked like only a matter of time before he appropriated a set for himself.

Grant says: "Where has this arrogance come from? This whole crap of "we put in CDs, and its such an arduous process" is rubbish"
I don't think any of the DJs were saying that it was an "arduous process" I think it was more the fact that since Grant went through the process and FAILED he didn't really have the right to steal a set.(Though if that is not what you guys meant, I'm sorry-please feel free to correct me)

Grant keeps ranting about how personal Jez's comments about him were when i seem to recall that Grant accused me of being incapable of playing anything later than first set as i like to drink, did he not see accusing someone of being a drunk as being personal?

As to power metal being so underplayed, that is kind of what happens when you insult the DJ who played the most power metal thus forcing them to quit.
I see Grant's post where he says how Patrick etc are the best guys for the job of playing a power metal set (which is rather true) as being nothing more than a sycophantic statement designed to stop the power metallers from insulting him in this thread (as they are usually very vocal on this board...keep up the good work guys)

I had posted on the most recent CD submission thread but decided against it as I didn't want to start a shit-storm, but since there is already flying shit i thought id butt in. The problem I had with the CD admission procedure this time was that the CDs were to go straight into Grant's hands and I did not trust him to actually put any CD I gave him in for listening due to his previously mentioned slur on my character. I sought an alternative and asked Zak what to do, he said to put it in the pigeon hole, so I did. At least I know now that if I don't get my position back it is due to my CD not being good enough and not because of personal matters. (Though that being said, when I went to the committee meeting after I quit the hostility was so palpable from everyone but Zak and Ross that I lied and said that I was happy to stay quit, so it could still end up as being personal if I don't get back in.)

In the old days, as I understand it from talking to some old bastards, the person who controlled the DJs was called 'Head DJ' and it had nothing to do with ENTs at all. The DJ who had been there the longest would say who would be playing on what night, what order they would play in-and that was all. Head DJ was not allowed to interfere and tell people to change songs, they were there to give guidance based on experience. ENTs reps do not have experience as DJs (unless they are DJs) and so should not be allowed to interfere with sets. Would it not be a good idea to bring back the position of head DJ? Who is the longest serving DJ still DJing (I'm thinking it is Jez right?)

I think that is all.
katticus metallicus

Re:

Postby katticus metallicus on Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:55 pm

Speaking as somebody who resigned from being a DJ because of Grant, I am finding this all rather 'I told ya so'. I saw early on that he was abusing his position by asking for set submissions and then telling people to choose different songs. As I saw it he was sore that he didn't get chosen after submitting a DJ Cd and so ran for ENTs so he could intrude in what those chosen over him played. It looked like only a matter of time before he appropriated a set for himself.

Grant says: "Where has this arrogance come from? This whole crap of "we put in CDs, and its such an arduous process" is rubbish"
I don't think any of the DJs were saying that it was an "arduous process" I think it was more the fact that since Grant went through the process and FAILED he didn't really have the right to steal a set.(Though if that is not what you guys meant, I'm sorry-please feel free to correct me)

Grant keeps ranting about how personal Jez's comments about him were when i seem to recall that Grant accused me of being incapable of playing anything later than second set as i like to drink, did he not see accusing someone of being a drunk as being personal?

As to power metal being so underplayed, that is kind of what happens when you insult the DJ who played the most power metal thus forcing them to quit.
I see Grant's post where he says how Patrick etc are the best guys for the job of playing a power metal set (which is rather true) as being nothing more than a sycophantic statement designed to stop the power metallers from insulting him in this thread (as they are usually very vocal on this board...keep up the good work guys)

I had posted on the most recent CD submission thread but decided against it as I didn't want to start a shit-storm, but since there is already flying shit i thought id butt in. The problem I had with the CD admission procedure this time was that the CDs were to go straight into Grant's hands and I did not trust him to actually put any CD I gave him in for listening due to his previously mentioned slur on my character. I sought an alternative and asked Zak what to do, he said to put it in the pigeon hole, so I did. At least I know now that if I don't get my position back it is due to my CD not being good enough and not because of personal matters. (Though that being said, when I went to the committee meeting after I quit the hostility was so palpable from everyone but Zak and Ross that I lied and said that I was happy to stay quit, so it could still end up as being personal if I don't get back in.)

In the old days, as I understand it from talking to some old bastards, the person who controlled the DJs was called 'Head DJ' and it had nothing to do with ENTs at all. The DJ who had been there the longest would say who would be playing on what night, what order they would play in-and that was all. Head DJ was not allowed to interfere and tell people to change songs, they were there to give guidance based on experience. ENTs reps do not have experience as DJs (unless they are DJs) and so should not be allowed to interfere with sets. Would it not be a good idea to bring back the position of head DJ? Who is the longest serving DJ still DJing (I'm thinking it is Jez right?)

I think that is all.
katticus metallicus

Re:

Postby Grant on Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Quoting katticus metallicus from 13:54, 1st Dec 2007

Grant keeps ranting about how personal Jez's comments about him were when i seem to recall that Grant accused me of being incapable of playing anything later than first set as i like to drink, did he not see accusing someone of being a drunk as being personal?

I think that is all.

See, this is what happens when people incite rumours etc.

Your CD was handed in, and the committe knew of it. Thats pathetic to assume i wouldnt allow you to try again to DJ. Fact is, you had your chance to talk about this at the committee meeting, and you didnt. I guess its still bitter with you. The hostility? There wasnt any, thats in your head Kat. You had your chance to talk and you blew it.

And the comment about drinking wasnt me saying you cant drink - it was a reply to the fact you said you hated late sets because you cant get wasted beforehand. So why dont you tell it like it was intended rather than twisting it to make me look like a complete bastard. And i hardly forced you to quit - i said something you didnt like. The descision to quit was yours, same as mine with the ENTS.

The fact is, it was Jez that started on me, my comments are replies to that. How about you ask how he emails Zak differing versions of events? Its hilarious that hes managed to start on me, then convince everyone that it was my fault.
Grant

Re:

Postby Grant on Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:27 pm

I'll be chatting with you guys tonight.
Grant

Re:

Postby katticus metallicus on Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:36 pm

i never said i didn't like last sets because it meant I couldn't get wasted (if you can find that in writing post it up). The reason I dislike last sets is because you are expected to play a certain kind of 'floor filling' set and most of the music I have in my collection is not 'floor filling' so i would have to borrow extensively to create a whole set that would keep loads of people on the dance floor for every song, it could be done but I was always more comfortable with second set of the evening and it was second set that I was asking for when you mentioned my drinking and called my sets "hit and miss" and that if the next set i played was "crap" then i would DJ less etc etc. Of course I am still sore with it, DJing was something I was passionate about, though I valued it less than my pride when I was insulted and upset. You did not 'force' me to quit actively, the forcing came from the injury that your email caused me.

At the meeting I was given a chance to speak my piece in a 'Kat is there anything you would like to say on the matter' kind of way (with most of you pointedly not looking at me-which is where i got the notion of hostility from). I had been expecting a discussion of both sides of the story, yet you turned up late then remained quiet and I was put on the spot against a whole committee. When put on the spot everything got confused, the emails were not in front of me to refer to and so i backed down, which may make me a coward, but no more of a coward than you sitting silently behind your pals.
katticus metallicus

Re:

Postby Scurve Kano on Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:02 pm

Quoting katticus metallicus from 13:54, 1st Dec 2007
I think that is all.

Okay... I was gonna avoid posting anything since I have grown weary of getting flamed from all comers... but since Kat has invited me to do so, and I keep getting mentioned by name, I suppose I'd better add my shit to to the ring.

Grant: I've never actually spoken to you, but thanks for fighting our corner- I shall have to buy you a drink.

Kat: You were my absolutely favouritist DJ, and your loss is keenly felt by me and everyone I have spoken to.

Both of you: this is clearly a personal matter between the two of you and Jez. Please keep me and mine out of it, I refuse to be used as anyone's pawns! Not saying that was your intent, jsut saying this ain't our fight. For once.

Right, some points I shall endeavour to make as delicately as possible- the shits flying (not, mercifully, at me) so I doubt another voice'll make much difference.

1. The DJs are not infallible. That has long been my stance- they are not some sort of shamanic high priests with necromantic access to the Neverworld- they do not recieve their setlists from God (or Satan who is the Devil) himself. Consequently:

2. The DJs are not better than everyone else. They do not have some special organ that makes their taste in music any better than the rest of us. They aren't professionals, and they should not get on their high horses because they burnt a CD (before you ask- I have handed in a CD of my own. I rather suspect I am blowing my chances of success, incidentally). They should therefore realise that:

3. The DJs are not above criticism. They make mistakes. Sometimes the dancefloors are empty. Its sad, yes, but the best way to make yourself above the criticism of Grant, me or whoever is to fill the Gorram dancefloor with as many people as possible. Jez sticks on the backstreet boys, we can't all him out if everyone dances, no matter how much we want to. We should realise therefore that:

4. The DJs try their damndest to provide the bestest setlists they can. They need our encouragement, not our contempt. This is the most important lesson I feel I have leant:

5. if you have a problem, be civil about it. Befriend the DJs, make requests- its a lot easier and safer to tell Jez he sucks to his face! (note: I am not sayig Jez sucks!). That's also the reason I thought that requests sheets were a cool idea. Remember:

6. We are all friends here. What happens on the Sinner stays on the Sinner- ultimately we are all on the same side. That's somethign Zak and the new committee grasp, and up untill this latest outburst I think they were doing a fantastic job in their stewardship of the society. Seriously, even Marek's stopped whinging. So please do not assume that I am knocking RockSoc or any individuals involved in it- this is between you guys, so sort it out.

Come to think of it, why hasn't this been locked down yet?

[hr]

-First Cortana Letter
-Gamma Ray
Scurve Kano

Re:

Postby Spiryt on Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:10 pm

I fully agree with the above post- and am also rather surprised I've managed to keep my mouth shut this long... I guess I'm learning :-P

[hr]

When you call me a useless druggie, at least you got half of it right... But when you call me a hopeless alcoholic, I'm only hopeless after 9 at night.
I meant every word I said, But only said half the words I meant
There's a load more where they came from, I suppose will get left unsent
Spiryt

Re:

Postby Scurve Kano on Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:15 pm

Quoting Spiryt from 15:10, 1st Dec 2007
I fully agree with the above post- and am also rather surprised I've managed to keep my mouth shut this long :-P

[hr]

When you call me a useless druggie, at least you got half of it right... But when you call me a hopeless alcoholic, I'm only hopeless after 9 at night.

Woo hoo! Someone agrees with me! I win the Internet! *teabags everyone*

Can I have a Cliff Burton Tribute night, then? :P

[hr]

-First Cortana Letter
-Gamma Ray
Scurve Kano

Re:

Postby angel_kohaku on Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:20 pm

Ok a few points before I grab my morning coffee. (This is speaking with my DJ/member hat on, NOT my committee hat ... although that's very sparkly)

1) only some DJs were elected by last year's committee. Do your homework.

2) I will personally find enough Buddy Holly fans to make a Buddy hour viable. Because I personally believe that without his contribution to music, there would be no Kurt... heck, no Dime.

3) Just by the by, a Nirvana hour would not be just a greatest hits. I have all the rare bootlegs to do this.

Grant, please stop referring to us as arrogant people who think we have some sort of special power. None of us think that. But the fact remains is all the DJs we currently have were elected by a committee. And there are some people out there who weren't. That says something, I thnk.

[hr]

I may be a pretty sad case but I don't write jokes in base 13
I may be a pretty sad case but I don't write jokes in base 13
angel_kohaku

Re:

Postby Spiryt on Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:20 pm

Quoting Scurve Kano from 15:15, 1st Dec 2007

I don't think I count, seeing as we're conveniently lumped into the same 'camp' :-D

[hr]

I meant every word I said, But only said half the words I meant
There's a load more where they came from, I suppose will get left unsent
Spiryt

Re:

Postby Scurve Kano on Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:28 pm

Quoting Spiryt from 15:20, 1st Dec 2007
Quoting Scurve Kano from 15:15, 1st Dec 2007

I don't think I count, seeing as we're conveniently lumped into the same 'camp' :-D

Shut up, Marek, you're making me look worse! :P

[hr]

-First Cortana Letter
-Gamma Ray
Scurve Kano

PreviousNext