Home

TheSinner.net

The Closeted (or not) Religious

Welcome to the RockSoc board, it gets worse here every day... talk about RockSoc, rock music, plain rocks or other silly irrelevant drivel. All are welcome: members & non-members, of the past, present & future.

Re:

Postby chales08 on Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:29 pm

Quoting from 23:44, 20th Jan 2008
Im Christian and love black metal. Black metal is all about embracing nature, ancient ruins, respect of the pagan religions. Brilliant genre. Since when do personal beliefs affect enjoyment of art?

Black metal is specifically about the hate of religions, especially Christianity. Paganism and nature are much more the bedrock of viking/folk metal respectively.

You can like the genre and the style of the music but to be religious and like an anti-religious genre is sort of missing the point. It's like being an Afro-Caribbean member of the KKK.
chales08

Re:

Postby otsegolectric on Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:08 pm

Quoting chales08 from 22:44, 24th Jan 2008
Black metal is specifically about the hate of religions, especially Christianity. Paganism and nature are much more the bedrock of viking/folk metal respectively.

You can like the genre and the style of the music but to be religious and like an anti-religious genre is sort of missing the point. It's like being an Afro-Caribbean member of the KKK.

Wow. Just...wow.

[hr]

If you're gonna scream, scream with me
Moments like this never last...
otsegolectric

Re:

Postby Power Metal Dom on Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:16 pm

Im Christian and love black metal. Black metal is all about embracing nature, ancient ruins, respect of the pagan religions. Brilliant genre. Since when do personal beliefs affect enjoyment of art?

Um. Zed is our resident kvltologist, I'd let her answer that one.

[hr]

Like flames on fuel...upon metal I drool
Aren't you all entitled to your half-arsed musings...You've thought about eternity for 25 minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions...My kind have harvested the souls of a million peasants and I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your internet assembled philosophy
Power Metal Dom

Re:

Postby The Introvert on Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:55 pm

Black Metal Ist Krieg. That Is All.

[hr]

'Or I become what never fails, following the footsteps behind me'
'Or I become what never fails, following the footsteps behind me'
The Introvert

Re:

Postby Scurve Kano on Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:21 pm

Actually it's more like being Afro-Carribean and watching a film made by the KKK. You are "appreciating" (for want of a better word) their product but you have no role in its production. If you were Christian and in a black metal band, your analogy would make more sense. :D

Again, with Araya's odd claim to be Catholic...

"Take me to the Gardens of the Sinner,
Bury me and let me rest in peace
Now the time of truth has come for everyone
The fallen angel stands in victory"
-Gamma Ray
-Gamma Ray
Scurve Kano

Re:

Postby Skeve on Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:14 pm

Wow. As someone else said. Wrong. Just play wrong. Look at the black metal gods. Let's take Varg, aka Burzum. Let us look at the lyrics to one of his greatest compositions (in English of course):

When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
A chill rises
From the soil
And contaminates the air
Suddenly...
Life has new meaning

Now lets look at Dark Throne, lets take the title track of a random album, Transilvanian Hunger:

Transilvanian Hunger...cold..soul
Your hands are cruel...to haunt..to haunt

the mountains are cold...soul...soul...
careful..pale...forever at Night

Take me...can't you feel the Call
Embrace Me Eternally in your daylight slumber

To be Draped by the Shadow of your Morbid Palace
oh, Hate Living...The only heat is warm blood

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger

Varg Vikernes, the god of all things black, tells us in his biographies all about black metal and the meaning behind Burzum. Pagan respect is the number one message. What does he say in one instance?

Burzum was supposed to be such a symbol. Burzum was an attempt to create (or "recreate" if You like) an imaginary past, a world of fantasy - that in turn was based on our Pagan past. Burzum in itself was a spell. The songs were spells and the albums were arranged in a special way, to make the spells work. Burzum was not intended for live-shows, but instead it was supposed to be listened to in the evening, when the sunbeams couldn't vaporize the power of the magic, and when the listener was alone - preferably in his or her bed, going to sleep.

The message of Burzum is really all summed up in the lyrics of the first track ("Feeble Screams From Forests Unknown") on the first album.

My hope would be that Burzum could inspire people to wish for a new and better reality in the real world, and hopefully do something about it. Maybe revolt against the modern world, by refusing to participate in the rape of Mother Earth, by refusing to participate in the murder of our European race, by refusing to become a part of any of these artificial media-created "rock'n'roll" subcultures, and by building new and healthy communities, where the Pagan culture - and magic if You like - can be cultivated.

You are a FOOL if you believe that black metal is about as you put it, the "hate of religions". The look at paganism and the nationalism behind the music, specifically the Norwegian bands who want to keep their race pure of course brings along the hatred of Christianity and other intruders into this world. But that is not the meaning of this at all. Black metal has a very deep philosophical message.

If you want some hatred towards religion, get a death metal album by Deicide or somebody, bands with no clear aim except religion loathing. If you want a trip through icy cold mountains searching for the most perfect spot in the world that hasn't been touched by the bastards of humanity, a black metal will do you fine. As for viking/folk metal, a black or death band can be viking themed. That tends to focus solely on norse gods and viking battles and the likes. Completely different yet again.
Skeve

Re:

Postby Scurve Kano on Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:11 pm

Leave the tree-hugging black-metal hippies alone! :D

[hr]

-Gamma Ray
-Gamma Ray
Scurve Kano

Re:

Postby Xenu on Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:14 am

8 on each 'side' with 1 undecided.

Any scientologists care to tilt the table?
Xenu

Previous

Return to Rocksoc