Home

TheSinner.net

Britpoptastic

Welcome to the RockSoc board, it gets worse here every day... talk about RockSoc, rock music, plain rocks or other silly irrelevant drivel. All are welcome: members & non-members, of the past, present & future.

Re:

Postby The_Farwall on Tue Apr 22, 2003 12:33 pm

[s]Blessed Benediction wrote on 11:34, 22nd Apr 2003:
is Britpop still regarded as the very summit of cool Britania?

As far as I can remember Cool Britania was a phrase coined by some American magazine regarding our abundance of transatlantically-high profile fashion designers and film makers in the mid-ish 90's. Then Cool Britania became a pathetic PR stunt by new Labour just after their election in '97(right year?) but that's not the point.
Britpop, as popular as it was over here , made very little impact abroad, especially in the US. I don't think Britpop was ever much of a part of Cool Britania really, except the N.L. version when Noel Gallagher got invited to Downing Street for tea.
I mean, Oasis have been repeatedly hyped and ignored over the pond. Blur are apparently know as "the woo-hoooo guys" (thanks to Song 2) over there. Not really the pinacle (or summit) of anything.
[hr][s]"A bell is a cup... Until it is struck"
wire[/s]
[s]Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.[/s]
The_Farwall

Re:

Postby Endemoniada on Tue Apr 22, 2003 2:34 pm

I have nothing against Britpop, it put guitar based bands in the charts and was responsible for directing most people my age towards guitar music. The thing is that the music or the bands have not lasted the test of time, the music is very dated. "Parklife" sounds too pop, "Definitely Maybe" sounds like a Beatles cover album and so on. I think the only 'Britpop' album that still sounds innovative is Mansuns "Attack Of The Grey Lantern" but that never really fitted in in the first place!

[hr]And Trogdor smote the Kerreck and all was laid to burnination!
Endemoniada

Re:

Postby The_Farwall on Tue Apr 22, 2003 2:58 pm

[s]Endemoniada wrote on 15:34, 22nd Apr 2003:
Mansuns "Attack Of The Grey Lantern" but that never really fitted in in the first place!

Mansun had so many great songs, 'Closed for Business', 'Being a girl', 'Wide Open Space', 'Stipper Vicar' ;7D
They've been perpetually one of those bands slightly too low on my 'must buy' list to ever get round to actually buying stuff by.
[hr][s]"A bell is a cup... Until it is struck"
wire[/s]
[s]Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.[/s]
The_Farwall

Re:

Postby Endemoniada on Tue Apr 22, 2003 6:16 pm

Well, AOTGL is awesome cos it's like nothing else, it has some fantastic songs - wide open space, mansun's only love song, who do you hate, the chad who loved me - but Six is very weird, it's quite hard to listen to. And Little Kix is no good at all

[hr]And Trogdor smote the Kerreck and all was laid to burnination!
Endemoniada

Re:

Postby LeopardSkinQueen on Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:20 pm

Little Kix has some decent stuff- I Can Only Disappoint you is good. Six is excellent too. I'm a fan- anyone seen em live? Or got any bootlegs/vids of them live?

[hr]“Master Took, I hear you do a very good, or at least passable, Freddie Mercury, and since Galadriel is indisposed, would you oblige us with Bohemian Rhapsody?”
http://bagenders.stormpages.com
[i:1wp3kko0]Now at midnight all the agents and the superhuman crew
Come out and round up everyone that knows more than they do
[/i:1wp3kko0]
LeopardSkinQueen

Re:

Postby LeopardSkinQueen on Mon May 05, 2003 4:54 pm

Well, Mansun are now no more...

http://www.nme.com/news/104941.htm

[hr]“Master Took, I hear you do a very good, or at least passable, Freddie Mercury, and since Galadriel is indisposed, would you oblige us with Bohemian Rhapsody?”
http://bagenders.stormpages.com
[i:1wp3kko0]Now at midnight all the agents and the superhuman crew
Come out and round up everyone that knows more than they do
[/i:1wp3kko0]
LeopardSkinQueen

Re:

Postby Mark on Thu May 08, 2003 12:42 pm

Why should Guitar Pop be deemed 'Our' music? For feck's sake, the overwhelming majority of pop/rock music EVEN NOW, in this age of electro-pop and dance music (some of which I rather like, incidentally...no snooty arrogance intended) is produced using guitars. So liking Britpop just because it has some nominal connection to the mythical beast that is 'proper rock' seems a little silly. To say the least.
Anyway, some of my favourite records of all time (by both 'rock' and 'non-rock' artists, because, shock horror, some of us actually listen to music that isn't 'rock' at all, sometimes) have little to no guitar contributions at all. I call to your attention Bowie's 'Low' and 'Heroes', Miles Davis' 'Kind Of Blue', Aphex Twin's 'Selected Ambient Classics' and 'Richard D. James album', Autechre's 'LP5', and New Order's 'Technique', along with many, many others.
Mark

I LIKE BRITPOP

Postby Doctor Mott on Tue May 13, 2003 7:08 pm

that's all I have to say.
Doctor Mott

Re:

Postby Mark on Wed May 14, 2003 2:24 pm

'Course you do, Murray.

I don't really have strong feelings one way or the other. Some of it was good, some of it was shit. Much like everything else.
Mark

come and hepl me on my new forum?

Postby Eldritch on Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:36 am

Hello! All how are you?

I’ve started a new Forum, that I thought that you might be interested in. the forum is very comprehensive, every thing from “Anne Rice” to the occult, Music, art, there’s a general section for all of you to get to know one another, and all so there’s a section for the net it self, to cover toughs free files and free software that we can’t do with out.

So if you are interested in joining a new community on the net, feel free to join in at your convenience. We will welcome you all with open arms, and hope you have a happy stay…

The forum has only just opened, so you will have to wait for the members to build up…. And also I am looking for some mediators to cover some of the subjects that I am not too familiar with. So if you want to help me out, just drop me a line, and I will get back to you…

Look forward to seeing you all some…James…

This is the link for the forum……

http://eldritch.suddenlaunch.com/
Eldritch

Previous

Return to Rocksoc