Home

TheSinner.net

New discoveries...

Welcome to the RockSoc board, it gets worse here every day... talk about RockSoc, rock music, plain rocks or other silly irrelevant drivel. All are welcome: members & non-members, of the past, present & future.

New discoveries...

Postby Fugaziboy on Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:27 am

Mine would go to the fantastic Helmet. My god these guys are HEAVY. They kinda sound like Fugazi crossed over with Black Sabbath. Great stuff. Great slab of post-hardcore and metal, that both hardcore and metal fans will love. Rock soc must play their stuff.

So that's my 'new' discovery, has anyone else made any?
Fugaziboy

Re:

Postby Mark on Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:54 am

I've played Helmet at Rocksoc, I have. Just goes to show what you miss if you don't turn up early.

:)

Good call, though. 'Betty' is a wicked album.
Mark

Re:

Postby Fugaziboy on Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:29 pm

[s]Mark wrote on 11:54, 5th Apr 2004:
I've played Helmet at Rocksoc, I have. Just goes to show what you miss if you don't turn up early.

:)

Good call, though. 'Betty' is a wicked album.

Definately mate. You have good taste! Betty is amazing especially 'Wilma's Rainbow'
Fugaziboy

Re:

Postby benedict on Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:03 am

not really a new discovery, but certainly one that nobody else here will probably care about so maybe it warrants a mention.

i once noticed on a late night ITV show, hosted by Marc Almond, a trance act probably from Italy or somewhere called Ratty. the name itself, which'll probably only have relevancy to me, & the probably dodgy video was enough to grab my attention.
benedict

Re:

Postby Cloud on Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:13 am

I have come to the conclusion that the 80s US underground music scene was the greatest music scene of all time. Black Flag, Descendents, Minutemen, Mission Of Burma, Husker Du, The Replacements, Meat Puppets etc.

And the whole "art-punk" scene in the late 70s/early 80s was genius as well: Talking Heads, Pere Ubu, The Fall, The Mekons, Gang Of Four, Wire etc.

Some good shit.

[hr][s]I want your skulls[/s]
[s]I want your skulls[/s]
Cloud

Re:

Postby otsegolectric on Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:12 pm

Definitely not new stuff by any measure, but I'm finding that I like a good few songs by Sisters Of Mercy and The Mission...
otsegolectric

Re:

Postby Fugaziboy on Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:27 pm

[s]Cloud wrote on 12:13, 12th Apr 2004:
I have come to the conclusion that the 80s US underground music scene was the greatest music scene of all time. Black Flag, Descendents, Minutemen, Mission Of Burma, Husker Du, The Replacements, Meat Puppets etc.

And the whole "art-punk" scene in the late 70s/early 80s was genius as well: Talking Heads, Pere Ubu, The Fall, The Mekons, Gang Of Four, Wire etc.

Some good shit.

You have good taste! Wicked stuff.
Fugaziboy

Re:

Postby Cloud on Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:29 am

Cheers.

Cloud

Re:

Postby Fugaziboy on Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:21 am

Quicksand are another great band that both metallers and punks can get into. Slip and Manic Compression are the two best albums of the 90's. Anyone else know them? Shame they spilt up whilst crap like Limp Bizkit or Marilyn Manson are still around.
Fugaziboy

Re:

Postby Cloud on Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:55 pm

Quicksand are a great band. The lead singer/guitarist formed the massively underrated Rival Schools a few years ago. Talented guy, old Walter.

Cloud

Re:

Postby Fugaziboy on Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:21 pm

[s]Cloud wrote on 14:55, 14th Apr 2004:
Quicksand are a great band. The lead singer/guitarist formed the massively underrated Rival Schools a few years ago. Talented guy, old Walter.

Rival Schools are great. Time for a new album me thinks
Fugaziboy

Re:

Postby otsegolectric on Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:37 am

A band I heard recently called Norther seem quite interesting...kinda Megadeth riffs crossed with a Children Of Bodom kinda vibe. I'm also gonna mention 3 Inches Of Blood because they've had an album out for a bit now and in my opinion are criminally ignored.
otsegolectric

Re:

Postby Cloud on Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:52 pm

I've suddenly realised how good both Primus and Ween are. I used to find them laughable but now I just can't get enough.

"Push th' little daisies and make 'em come up"

Cloud

Re:

Postby Fugaziboy on Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:31 am

[s]Cloud wrote on 18:52, 15th Apr 2004:
I've suddenly realised how good both Primus and Ween are. I used to find them laughable but now I just can't get enough.

"Push th' little daisies and make 'em come up"

Nothing laughable about Primus, their a good band. Not too keen on Ween though... Then again I like The Lemonheads, so what do I know?
Fugaziboy

Re:

Postby Haunted on Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:04 am

Danko Jones. Saw him tear up the carling tent at the leeds festival, this guy fucking rocks!
A bit like Henry Rollins.
Off to buy his album
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Re:

Postby otsegolectric on Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:22 pm

Bought an album second-hand by a band called Exhumed recently, entitled "Anatomy is Destiny". Some juicy gore-metal, definitely Carcass worshippers, playing music akin to their "Symphonies of Sickness" and "Necroticism" days, although not quite as good.

Most definitely a rip off band, but when its done this well its hard to care.
otsegolectric

Re:

Postby otsegolectric on Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:23 pm

Also, forgot about Lamb of God, just very good modern metal, off to buy their new album I think.
otsegolectric

Re:

Postby Cain on Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:58 pm

[s]Fugaziboy wrote on 11:31, 31st Aug 2004:
Nothing laughable about Primus, their a good band.

the only thing i know about primus is that their video for "winona's big brown beaver" was on M2's funniest videos etc.

does anybody else think that the bass player in that video looks like presidential candidate john kerry?

[hr]
I will diminish, and go into fourth year, and remain Cain
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Cloud on Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:46 am

All I listen to these days are the Butthole Surfers and Mr Bungle
Cloud

good taste...

Postby Fugaziboy on Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:40 am

[s]Cloud wrote on 12:46, 2nd Sep 2004: