Home

TheSinner.net

You shook me all night long...

Welcome to the RockSoc board, it gets worse here every day... talk about RockSoc, rock music, plain rocks or other silly irrelevant drivel. All are welcome: members & non-members, of the past, present & future.

You shook me all night long...

Postby Fugaziboy on Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:44 pm

I can't stop listening to Back in Black. How good is this album. For those about to rock is pretty good to. It's up there with Master of Reality and Led Zeppelin 4.
Fugaziboy

Re:

Postby Cloud on Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:37 pm

I demand that you listen to the Arab Strap version of You Shook Me All Night Long!
[s]I want your skulls[/s]
Cloud

Re:

Postby The_Farwall on Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:41 am

[s]Cloud wrote on 00:37, 8th Sep 2004:
I demand that you listen to the Arab Strap version of You Shook Me All Night Long!

I demand that you tell me where I could find such a thing. I'm probably a couple of albums behind on Arab Strap these days, Red Thread was the last I got.
[s]Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.[/s]
The_Farwall

Re:

Postby Cloud on Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:19 pm

The Shy Retirer EP. They also did a version of Van Halen's Why Cant This Be Love

[hr][s]I want your skulls[/s]
Cloud

Re:

Postby Fugaziboy on Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:37 pm

[s]Cloud wrote on 15:19, 9th Sep 2004:
The Shy Retirer EP. They also did a version of Van Halen's Why Cant This Be Love

Van Halen, Ugh
Fugaziboy

Re:

Postby Slash wannabe on Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:05 pm

Dude Van halen rock! Fucking Eddie himself created tapping on guitar (or made it popular at least)!

[hr]IMAGE:www.pushposters.co.uk/new/thumbs/a/S_a06015.jpg
IMAGE:www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~es54/images/slashlogo.gif
[i:3tscad2j]One step from lashing out at you again[/i:3tscad2j]
Slash wannabe

Re:

Postby benedict on Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:53 pm

'Van halen rock!'

seconded
benedict

Re:

Postby Cloud on Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:48 pm

No, I'm with you on this one Fugaziboy. I fucking hate Van Halen. One of my all-time least favourite excuses for music.

Them and Pink Floyd.... and Aerosmith.... and Evanescense

Cloud

Re:

Postby Fugaziboy on Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:39 pm

[s]Cloud wrote on 22:48, 9th Sep 2004:
No, I'm with you on this one Fugaziboy. I fucking hate Van Halen. One of my all-time least favourite excuses for music.

Them and Pink Floyd.... and Aerosmith.... and Evanescense

Cloud we have similar taste in music, but I'd hae to disagree with you on Pink Floyd I'm afraid...
Fugaziboy

Re:

Postby benedict on Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:37 pm

Aerosmith & Evanescence rock.

Aerosmith are plain great because they just are in so many ways.

whilst Evanescence has Amy Lee & her voice which has a habit of conveying the emotions well regardless of whether the lyrics are any good or not.
benedict

Re:

Postby Fugaziboy on Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:49 pm

I hate to sound like an asshole, but Aerosmith were a horrible band. Love in an elevator, dude looks like a lady, but worst of all the steaming turd that is I don't want to miss a thing? How many horrible ballads is this band gonna churn out? Ugh.

Van Halen inspired and were a part of that disguisting hair metal scene of the 80's.

Less said about Amy Lee's band the better.

Back in Black is superb though, every song is perfect. As is those about to rock. I actually prefer the Brian Johnston era to Bon Scott. TNT is a superb song though...
Fugaziboy

Re:

Postby Decadence on Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:57 am

[s]Fugaziboy wrote on 21:49, 14th Sep 2004:
Van Halen inspired and were a part of that disgusting hair metal scene of the 80's.

Actually, I think you mean to say that Dave Lee Roth did the above... Van Halen just happened to be the band he was in...

Van Halen were, and still are mighty... The number of guitaring techniques perfected by EVH alone would be enough, but then there's also the fact that they were an inspiration to most of the following metal bands, such as: Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera, Machine Head, Slayer, and so on... Plus, have you ever stood in front of a full stack Peavey EVH 5150 and turned it up to 10? *shivers* >;}

I do agree though, that they could have NOT followed DLR's 'hairstyling' tips, but you can't have everything...

D.

[hr]
"Yes, I am an agent of Satan,
But my duties are largely ceremonial."

... Thus spake the Cardinal of Decadence
Decadence

Re:

Postby Mark on Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:17 pm

Back In Black is good...but not great. It's also the last decent AC/DC album. My love for AC/DC burns with the white-hot intensity of a thousand suns, but let's be entirely honest...the post-Bob Scott stuff is generally pretty dull. Powerage, Let There Be Rock, If You Want Blood..., Highway To Hell, High Voltage, and as many Bon-era bootlegs as you can lay your hands on (I've got shitloads, and not a bad one among them)...that's the essential AC/DC. Back In Black works magnificently as a full-stop to that era of their career...it's also where I get off the train. Everything afterwards is a post-script, and not a particularly interesting one, sadly.

Still love to see 'em live, though...

EDIT: Bob, Bon...whatever. You know who I mean.
Mark

Re:

Postby Fugaziboy on Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:02 pm

[s]Mark wrote on 14:17, 15th Sep 2004:
Back In Black is good...but not great. It's also the last decent AC/DC album. My love for AC/DC burns with the white-hot intensity of a thousand suns, but let's be entirely honest...the post-Bon Scott stuff is generally pretty dull. Powerage, Let There Be Rock, If You Want Blood..., Highway To Hell, High Voltage, and as many Bon-era bootlegs as you can lay your hands on (I've got shitloads, and not a bad one among them)...that's the essential AC/DC. Back In Black works magnificently as a full-stop to that era of their career...it's also where I get off the train. Everything afterwards is a post-script, and not a particularly interesting one, sadly.

Still love to see 'em live, though...

EDIT: Bob, Bon...whatever. You know who I mean.

Apparently Brian johnson began to lose his voice around the mid-80's, Fly-on-the Wall era. Which might go to explain the decline in quality prehaps of their recorded output. I still quite like For those about to rock though. The stuff with Brian seemed to be more metallic.
Fugaziboy

Re:

Postby Mark on Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:34 am

[s]Fugaziboy wrote on 18:02, 21st Sep 2004:
Apparently Brian johnson began to lose his voice around the mid-80's, Fly-on-the Wall era. Which might go to explain the decline in quality prehaps of their recorded output. I still quite like For those about to rock though. The stuff with Brian seemed to be more metallic.

That's part of it, but generally I just massively prefer the earlier material. Not a big fan of 'For Those About To Rock', either...it's a bit plodding and flat to my ears. I agree that their later stuff is a bit more 'metal', but that's not really a good thing. AC/DC were a frankly magnificent hard rock'n'roll band, and a pretty average 80s metal band. I know which I'd rather listen to...
Mark

Re:

Postby Fugaziboy on Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:53 pm

I was quite surprised with how slow for those about to rock was. It definateky takes a while to get into. Maybe because the last couple of albums were fairly heavy and rocking.
Fugaziboy

Re:

Postby mottthehoople on Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:07 pm

Aerosmith fucking rock, fair enough thier new stuff is pretty shit but you cant have an opinion on such a band without listening to thier earlier classic Albums such as pump and Rocks, every song on those albums fucking rocks. No self respecting rock fan could hate Aerosmith. I agree on the Evenescence though - Nu Metal Pish.
mottthehoople

Re:

Postby Guest on Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:45 am

Aerosmith have something like 5 good songs. They're massively over-rated because they were the only American band in the early 70's to come close to the Stones and Zep. Early Van Halen- see Van Halen (debut album) is some of the most fun hard rock ever created. Giggle from start to finish. AC/DC are a fantastic hard blues-rock band that never (and rightly so) took themselves too seriously.

Return to Rocksoc