Home

TheSinner.net

Games/Comics Shop opening in Kirkcaldy

Welcome to the WARSoc message board, designated for the discussion of WARSoc events, inflating the President's ego, and anything even vaguely related to RPGs, Wargaming or anything else. Members, prospective members or those just in out of the cold are all welcome.

Games/Comics Shop opening in Kirkcaldy

Postby KingdomOfAdventure on Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:49 pm

Hey there,

Just thought I'd let you all know that I'm currently working towards opening a Games and Comics shop in Kirkcaldy.

The shop should be open by the end of March next year (yes I know it's almost 6 months away but these things take planning!).
Game wise we'll stock everything from board games, card games, CCGs, CMGs, RPGs and Wargames (including Warhammer, AT-43 and Warmachine).
Comic wise we plan on offering a great range of trade paperbacks as well as the monthly titles.

The shop will have a dedicated event space for all sorts of gaming and comic events (Signings and the like).

So yeah, just thought I'd let you all know and if you have any questions feel free to let me know either here or via email.

Cheers,

Dave
KingdomOfAdventure

Re: Games/Comics Shop opening in Kirkcaldy

Postby Diesel on Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:23 pm

Same sort of thing that the hope chest does? I've not been in for a while, to buy 'megic cerds' but when we talked to her I wasn't aware of much of a MGT community in Kdy. There is also the gaming thing at the abbotshall church every Sunday which is pretty much full of people playing warhammer (but your probably already aware of that).
Diesel

Postby KingdomOfAdventure on Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:18 pm

Diesel wrote:Same sort of thing that the hope chest does? I've not been in for a while, to buy 'megic cerds' but when we talked to her I wasn't aware of much of a MGT community in Kdy.

Well in the sense that I'll sell Warhammer and Magic amongst a whole host of other games then yes I'll be similar to the Hope Chest.
I'd like to think that this is where the similarity will end.
The shop will be significantly bigger in range than the Hope Chest and will have dedicated in-shop gaming space.

I've already been speaking to clubs throughout Fife who are all keen for me to open the shop. Your comment about the lack of a Magic community in Kirkcaldy is interesting as whilst that might be the case there is a strong Yu-Gi-Oh and WoW community in Kirkcaldy.
Diesel wrote:There is also the gaming thing at the abbotshall church every Sunday which is pretty much full of people playing warhammer (but your probably already aware of that).

I am aware of the club at Abbotshall Church although I've yet to pop in to see what games are played and the rough size of the group.

Let me know if you have any other queries or even some suggestions of what you'd like to see.

Cheers,

Dave
KingdomOfAdventure

Postby KingdomOfAdventure on Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:26 pm

Something crossed my mind earlier today.

Are the people from WARSoc more likely to go into Dundee than go to Kirkcaldy for their gaming/comic stuff?

Anyone got any questions or a series of "wants"?
KingdomOfAdventure

Postby Dave on Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:25 pm

I suspect people are most likely to go wherever they can get what they want for the cheapest and least inconvenience. Personally I've either shopped in Dundee, or in Edinburgh when Dundee has failed to have what I wanted. But then I have a car, making such trips relatively easy. I have no idea what public transport to Kirkcaldy is like compared to Dundee.

As far as I am aware, there's only Highlander and GW in Dundee - both catering to distinctly different types of "gamer" (although obviously not mutually exclusive). That said, and I presume you're already aware of this, it's quite likely you'll have equal, if not greater competition from online stores. I personally prefer to buy from a local shop - even if it is more expensive (certainly for MtG) - I've seen two game shops close in St Andrews after only a couple of years each - and I think it's important, certainly from the pov of gaming communities, to support local retailers. From the fact that you're going to have gaming space, it appears that you're aware of the community aspect. So then it's a matter of gathering information from others about what would attract them as users of the shop space - and as customers. Which is obviously what you're trying to do here.
Dave

Postby KingdomOfAdventure on Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:09 pm

Thanks for the feedback Dave.
Dave wrote:I suspect people are most likely to go wherever they can get what they want for the cheapest and least inconvenience. Personally I've either shopped in Dundee, or in Edinburgh when Dundee has failed to have what I wanted. But then I have a car, making such trips relatively easy. I have no idea what public transport to Kirkcaldy is like compared to Dundee.

Public transport to Kirkcaldy from St Andrews is either bus or train from Leuchars. I'd imagine the train is the more likely though for speed but you never know.
Dave wrote:As far as I am aware, there's only Highlander and GW in Dundee - both catering to distinctly different types of "gamer" (although obviously not mutually exclusive). That said, and I presume you're already aware of this, it's quite likely you'll have equal, if not greater competition from online stores. I personally prefer to buy from a local shop - even if it is more expensive (certainly for MtG) - I've seen two game shops close in St Andrews after only a couple of years each - and I think it's important, certainly from the pov of gaming communities, to support local retailers.

Highlander and GW is right for Dundee with Edinburgh having Black Lion and GW. There's also the odd RPG book in Waterstones or Borders and the St Andrews Waterstones does tend to have D&D 4th Edition stuff (at least they had the core books recently).
The online store angle is something I'm not ignoring but to be honest I'm not really going to be able to compete on price which is why most of the online stores get their business.
I wasn't aware that there were game shops in St Andrews in the past. I had originally considered St Andrews as a location but ultimately Kirkcaldy has a larger catchment population and has better transport links. It's also much more central for almost all of the clubs that are in Fife giving me (hopefully) a better chance of getting people in the door. Plus there's economical reasons to go with Kirkcaldy as shop rents are very expensive in St Andrews.
Dave wrote:From the fact that you're going to have gaming space, it appears that you're aware of the community aspect. So then it's a matter of gathering information from others about what would attract them as users of the shop space - and as customers. Which is obviously what you're trying to do here.

The gaming space is a must have for me. I've been involved in the running of gaming groups in the past and know how difficult it can be to get a venue for a group of people, especially if some of them are under18. Plus I like the idea of gaming in the shop, it gives me an instant method of demonstrating what the games actually are and removes some of the issues about finding others to play a game if we establish regular game nights for the various types of games.

Thanks again for the feedback, let me know if you've got any more.

Oh and I'm going to be at the Leuchars gaming club tomorrow (Sunday) if anyone from here is planning to go. Their website is http://www.thegamingkingdom.org.uk/ I'm really just going along to introduce myself and get a view of how many people turn up and the sorts of games played.

Cheers,

Dave
KingdomOfAdventure

Postby Jono on Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:09 pm

There's a Wargaming club running out of Leuchars? I should have probably known about that! Oh well...

In terms of WARsoc, the main issues are value for money and support. Community surrounding a gaming shop is of course valuable. However, the society already provides a social hub for gamers to some extent. I'm interested in doing whats best for the society, which means we need good value for money on the products purchased (Affiliation to the Students' Association actually requires that I find the cheapest means of doing things before spending the society's money). In terms of support, we'd be interested in whatever you could offer. I'm not talking about sponsorship (Although that would certainly be welcome). We have events, including our annual convention, which could really benefit from having a hobby shop to hand. Also, Interest in games tends to wax and wane (Warhammer is currently non-existent after a short spring two years ago. Popularity for MTG exploded last year, and is still strong). Support from a local retailer (for example, with taster sessions, competitions, and other goodies), would be a brilliant way of bucking, if not softening that trend. If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

Also, If you fancy coming along to a meeting of WARsoc, we meet on Wednesdays at 20.00 in the Students Association. The society email is wargames@st-andrews.ac.uk . If you're interested, could email me in advance to let me know you're coming so we can show you in and sort out a guest pass.
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Postby KingdomOfAdventure on Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:40 pm

Jono wrote:There's a Wargaming club running out of Leuchars? I should have probably known about that! Oh well...

To be fair I only became aware of them myself in the last month or so. It's not affiliated with the RAF (although there is another club inside RAF Leuchars itself) and they play 40K and Flames Of War and other games too.
Jono wrote:In terms of WARsoc, the main issues are value for money and support. Community surrounding a gaming shop is of course valuable. However, the society already provides a social hub for gamers to some extent. I'm interested in doing whats best for the society, which means we need good value for money on the products purchased (Affiliation to the Students' Association actually requires that I find the cheapest means of doing things before spending the society's money). In terms of support, we'd be interested in whatever you could offer. I'm not talking about sponsorship (Although that would certainly be welcome). We have events, including our annual convention, which could really benefit from having a hobby shop to hand.

The value for money thing is a tough one if all you're talking about is product price. Comparing my likely prices to online shops and well the online shop is likely going to win. The rest of the stuff that makes up value for money I believe will come from the other stuff the shop will offer including a community of it's own (driven by the dedicated gaming space) and a way of linking up the various communities across Fife and potentially beyond.
The convention you mention I had never heard of and I've been living in Fife for the past 4 years and gamed in Edinburgh every fortnight for the past 4 years also. If the advertising was only within St Andrews and perhaps in Dundee then that would explain it. <Please note this isn't a criticism> There are a LOT of gaming clubs in Fife and I didn't see any mention of the convention on their websites/forums. There are more actual clubs in Fife than in Edinburgh albeit the memberships might be overall smaller and more disparate. I want the shop to play a part in linking all of them together to advertise events such as this and hopefully expand the player base through direct promotion to the "general public".
When you next have your convention I'd love to be able to attend either as a stall or even just in some sort of promotional activity e.g. sponsoring an event or whatever.
Jono wrote:Also, Interest in games tends to wax and wane (Warhammer is currently non-existent after a short spring two years ago. Popularity for MTG exploded last year, and is still strong). Support from a local retailer (for example, with taster sessions, competitions, and other goodies), would be a brilliant way of bucking, if not softening that trend. If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

The shop will host taster sessions, likely during the day at weekends but I'm still getting my thinking straight on that one. If you're meaning someone from the shop comes along to promote a game in the sense of an onsite demo team or something then ... maybe in time that can happen but unlikely to be in the first 6 months to a year as my focus will be on getting the business up and running and becoming financially stable. If I'm then able to do or at least coordinate demo teams then yes I'd love to do that. I'd welcome ideas on how best to do that sort of thing.
Jono wrote:Also, If you fancy coming along to a meeting of WARsoc, we meet on Wednesdays at 20.00 in the Students Association. The society email is wargames@st-andrews.ac.uk . If you're interested, could email me in advance to let me know you're coming so we can show you in and sort out a guest pass.

Would this Wednesday be too short notice? I'm not sure I can actually attend this Wednesday anyway but if I can then I think it might be worthwhile my coming along. Failing that I could come along next week. I'm trying to visit as many clubs as possible over the next month or so (Leuchars last night, Dunfermline either this Friday or next, Kirkcaldy this Sunday with Rosyth and another Dunfermline club to visit in due course and there's also the Yu-Gi-Oh tournaments in Kirkcaldy and these are just the ones I know of...).

I really appreciate the feedback, it all helps me to define how the shop interacts with everyone and also helps me to plan products to some extent.

Cheers,

Dave
KingdomOfAdventure

Postby Jono on Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:00 am

Fair point about the convention. St Andrews Big Roleplaying Event (SABRE) doesn't get as wide a publicity as I'd like. We've traditionally stuck to Uni clubs in advertising, owing to the logistical problems of admitting reams of people we've never met to the Students Association (i.e. A private members club). On top of that the convention has never been particularly well run (excluding days of yore when the release of MTG gave us a monstrous turnout). Last year, we knuckled down to it, actually put in some effort, and managed to achieve something we can build and improve upon this time around. If you could furnish me with some contact details for the local clubs I'd appreciate it.

As for Wednesday, You're welcome to come either time. Just let me know before hand so that I can stay downstairs and sign you into the Union.

Jon.
Jono

Postby KingdomOfAdventure on Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:08 pm

Jono wrote:As for Wednesday, You're welcome to come either time. Just let me know before hand so that I can stay downstairs and sign you into the Union.

Jon.

I'll come along this Wednesday (tomorrow) for 8 and we can have a chat properly and I can have a looksee at what you play.

Cheers,

Dave
KingdomOfAdventure

Postby Frank on Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:21 am

Note there's also the Dunfermline/Glenrothes populations to keep an eye on too. IIRC Dunfermline's only gaming resource is Abbey Models, which stock a limited variety of GW materials and a much larger supply of generic model stuff.

I know Mrs B from the Hope Chests (Kinross, Kirkcaldy) has been a approached a fair few times with regards to Warmachine's folks and some other 'less popular' (i.e. non-GW) wargames manufacturers but has maintained that there's simply not enough demand. (In fairness, I wonder just how representative the Abbotshall[Lang Toun Hive] is of local wargamers, there's a fairly big club in Dunfermline, at least.)

Anyhow, I'd be inclined to say "I want muffins and coffee" in an almost Black Books style. Which is to say: I'd be quite keen on frequenting a venue that is:
- 'Open late'. Both for myself (a student), the schoolkids and the workers in general, access to a well stocked gaming environment (big tables with decent chairs for RPGs, 6'*4' tables with scenery for Wargames ideally) after hours is of no small interest. It'd be difficult to regulate the crowd (i.e. to prevent it being an afterschool club or youth group), but something nice, wholesome and catering to a variety would be excellent.
- Access to or permission to 'bring in' food/drinks (non-alcoholic, presumably). Being near a coffeeshop would be decent too, or simply maintaining an urn and some mugs etc.

Well, that's just idle wishing. Stuff to think about, hmm?
Frank

Postby KingdomOfAdventure on Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:24 pm

First up - Thanks to Jon for the visit on Wednesday. Certainly gave me a feel for the games played and our chat helped me understand how the society is currently structured.
Frank wrote:Note there's also the Dunfermline/Glenrothes populations to keep an eye on too. IIRC Dunfermline's only gaming resource is Abbey Models, which stock a limited variety of GW materials and a much larger supply of generic model stuff.

Yep Abbey Models, Hopes Chest and The Nappy Pin/Toymaster in Cupar are all GW stockists according to the GW website.
I know there are a few gamers in Glenrothes but not aware of any clubs/shops but if you happen to know of any I'd appreciate it. The more I know about the gaming population the more likely I am able to stock the right stuff and provide appropriate services.
Frank wrote:I know Mrs B from the Hope Chests (Kinross, Kirkcaldy) has been a approached a fair few times with regards to Warmachine's folks and some other 'less popular' (i.e. non-GW) wargames manufacturers but has maintained that there's simply not enough demand. (In fairness, I wonder just how representative the Abbotshall[Lang Toun Hive] is of local wargamers, there's a fairly big club in Dunfermline, at least.)

There is enough demand or at least in so far as my analysis is telling me. Does the Hope Chest in Kinross also sell GW? If so I wasn't aware of that.
I'm visiting the Kirkcaldy Gaming Club this Sunday to chat with them but if they're like DWARF (one of the Dunfermline Clubs) or Gaming Kingdom (Non-RAF Leuchars club) then they are mainly a wargaming club with Warhammer being the main game.
I've managed to find 8 gaming groups of some form or another in Fife (including your society and the RAF Leuchars club) and I plan to visit all clubs as much as possible over the next couple of months as I finalise my plans.
Frank wrote:Anyhow, I'd be inclined to say "I want muffins and coffee" in an almost Black Books style. Which is to say: I'd be quite keen on frequenting a venue that is:
- 'Open late'. Both for myself (a student), the schoolkids and the workers in general, access to a well stocked gaming environment (big tables with decent chairs for RPGs, 6'*4' tables with scenery for Wargames ideally) after hours is of no small interest. It'd be difficult to regulate the crowd (i.e. to prevent it being an afterschool club or youth group), but something nice, wholesome and catering to a variety would be excellent.
- Access to or permission to 'bring in' food/drinks (non-alcoholic, presumably). Being near a coffeeshop would be decent too, or simply maintaining an urn and some mugs etc.

Ah Black Books, genius.
Open Late - Yep. When and for how long? Up for debate at the moment. Likely open late Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights with 10 or 11pm being the likely closing time. The gaming area will have at least 4 tables suitable for all game types. What do you mean by having the chairs suitable for RPGs? I'm primarily an RPG player so I suppose you're saying comfy? The seats I have in mind are quite comfy so that should be fine. Let me know if you're meaning something else. Key thing for the chairs though is I don't want them to break every week, month or whatever...
Regulating the crowd is a tricky one and whilst I do want the shop to be a hub for the gaming community, I don't want the gaming space to turn into a place where people just come along to hang out in as that would be to the detriment of the other people who want to use it. How to police that? Not 100% sure, I have ideas but nothing solid yet.
Access to Food/Drink - There will be a drink/food (well crisps and chocolate type) machine onsite also. I think it's safe to say that food can be brought onsite however that will need to be with the caveat of the place must be kept tidy. One of the venues I've been looking at currently has a kitchen onsite but I'm not sure if I will retain all of that.
Frank wrote:Well, that's just idle wishing. Stuff to think about, hmm?

Yep, for sure. Keep that sort of thinking coming too as I know I've got stuff to bottom out and this sort of feedback is helpful.

I plan to pop back at some point nearer to opening the shop and maybe in the interim too and would be happy to chat about my plans in a group or whatever.
I was wondering when you were planning to have the convention next year? Would I be right in thinking that it'll be the start of March again?

Once again thanks for the feedback.

Cheers,

Dave
KingdomOfAdventure

Postby Jono on Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:29 pm

No problem. SABRE will be at the beginning of March. Basically so its two or three weeks into semester two.
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Postby KingdomOfAdventure on Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:03 pm

Jono wrote:SABRE will be at the beginning of March. Basically so its two or three weeks into semester two.

Are you aware that Glasgow Uni have a convention (Conflagration) on the 21st/22nd of Feb and that Edinburgh Uni have one (Conpulsion) on the 21st/22nd March?
Would certainly be worth contacting each of them to help spread the word.
If you check out the blog for the shop you'll see a Game Clubs list on the right hand side. That'd be a good way to promote the event, especially if you're looking for some wargaming to take place as there's a lot of wargamers in Fife.
Whether admitting non-students could be a problem or not I dunno but if you're looking for advice on that I can put you in touch with the organisers of the Glasgow and Edinburgh conventions to see how they do it.

Anything I can do to help let me know.

Cheers,

Dave
http://www.kingdomofadventure.co.uk/
david@kingdomofadventure.co.uk
KingdomOfAdventure

Postby KingdomOfAdventure on Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:58 pm

Oh and if you're interested in having a retail stall of some sort at SABRE let me know as I'd be happy to do that for you. By then I'll have all my distributor accounts up and running and will be able to get all sorts of gaming stuff and comics too if there's interest.

Let me know your thoughts and if anyone else has any ideas/suggestions for the shop I'd appreciate it.

Cheers,

1C7ER4Dave
KingdomOfAdventure

Postby Jono on Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:57 pm

Sounds like a possibility, although I'd have to check with the Director of Services. We entertained the idea last year, only to be told that anyone trading on the premesis has to pay a commercial fee. I'll let you know.

Jonathan.
Jono

Postby KingdomOfAdventure on Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:36 pm

Jonathan,

I'm looking at doing something similar at Conpulsion - http://www.conpulsion.org/ - in Edinburgh and was wondering if you had any kind of timescales or update on what'd be involved for me to run a stall at the convention.

Cheers,

Dave
KingdomOfAdventure

Postby KingdomOfAdventure on Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:51 pm

Also. Depending the dates I might be able to organise a World Of Warcraft CCG event to take place at SABRE (likely the Sunday).

Jonathan - Can you email me off forum to discuss in general?

Cheers,

Dave
KingdomOfAdventure

Postby KingdomOfAdventure on Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:53 pm

Sorry to post again but if the WoW event is to happen I need to register it with Upper Deck before the 31st of December.

If it's not possible to give an answer then that's fine but I'd rather have a response than nothing at all.

Cheers,

Dave
KingdomOfAdventure

Return to WARSoc