Home

TheSinner.net

Forum Renaming

Welcome to the WARSoc message board, designated for the discussion of WARSoc events, inflating the President's ego, and anything even vaguely related to RPGs, Wargaming or anything else. Members, prospective members or those just in out of the cold are all welcome.

Forum Renaming

Postby Fawksie on Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:53 pm

As I believe you've reverted the common name of the society to WarSoc, I've renamed this forum accordingly. If (as is entirely possible) I'm wrong and you'd like it changed again, let me know :)
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Re: Forum Renaming

Postby Dave on Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:44 pm

It's WARSoc, not WarSoc. It's anal, but better not to be thought of as the "War Society"...
Dave

Postby Fawksie on Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:30 am

Fixed. I took the spelling from the Union site, so you might want to get them to fix it there too.
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Postby JonoNotLoggedIn on Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:23 pm

We are indeed WARsoc once again, and hopefully forevermore. Getting the forum name changed was up there right along side doing my laundry, and finishing my dissertation.

Being known as the War society could be interesting. I find the idea of our meetings being picketed by all the anti-war societies rather cathartic.
JonoNotLoggedIn

Postby Craicman on Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:20 pm

I love how the society's name was changed back for exactly the same reason that it was changed to gamesoc in the first place. Change it back, it's giving a bad impression of the society, as a group of social skill-less nerds, and even though by in large that is what we are, the fact stands that 2 years down the line someone is going to come up with the "revolutionary" bright idea of changing the society name so as to make it more approachable for first years, and revert to gamesoc ad infinitum
Craicman

Postby Jono on Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:12 am

I might as well put the reasons down here for posterity, if for no other reason than I can finally stop repeating myself!

I’ve never been big on the name Gamesoc. It’s limp, wishy-washy, hardly marketable, and causes confusion (re: the number of people who think we’re a video-gaming club). The only reason I didn’t suggest changing it before now was because I thought the name had been forced upon us by the Union. On discovering that this rumour was a complete load, and considering the appreciable turnout we had last year, I felt a re-branding was in order.

The change was proposed and seconded, and passed unanimously at a quorate AGM of the society. If people had objections, they had plenty of time to air them. When the start time is published at 8.00pm I don’t see anything wrong with starting business at 8.00pm. That people wander in quarter of an hour, or half an hour late is no fault of mine!

I’d have hoped that by now the vacuous prophetic objections would have stopped. Its the end of semester one, and as far as I’m aware, we have had precisely zero protesters picketing our events; zero objections from the new members. Far from being crippled, the society has had the largest turnout since I joined three years ago!

I accept that the name isn’t an enormously important aspect of the society in terms of running things. Nevertheless, I feel WARsoc is far more marketable and noticeable precisely because its more provocative than Gamesoc. If there is popular will for the name to be changed back (and I don't think there is), then they can make a proposition to that effect at the next AGM. Until then, I think we'll cope somehow!
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Return to WARSoc