Home

TheSinner.net

The Unofficial Game Commentary Thread

The Official Board for St Andrews Assassins 2006. Check rules, gloat over victories or moan about your early death. Please note you must be a registered user to post on this board

Re:

Postby Frank on Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:31 am

Well, as I noticed myself this time round: we haven't really formalised the umpiring process to an extreme degree.

That is:
- The information that is given out and retained isn't strictly and absolutely defined
- I was quite liberal in my deployment of 'armistaces' where I simply disallowed kills in certain zones due to, say, inconvienience for a party (as in "Woohoo! A party!") and to avoid annoying people with too much assassins talk.
- In this manner, the next Umpire (and the next, and the next and the nex) should likely decide on the strategy they use to both pick and assign targets based upon what information they have.

This last point is made immensely easier if the Umpire lays down, to begin with, that you are simply not allowed to kill people who are in the same zone as you in that zone. This would require aligning everyone's 'zones' correctly, but largely once you get a target it's a 'one thought' thing: "Ah, they're in my house, I can't kill them in our house, the Umpire says so"

Perhaps it would be quite finicky (ie trick) to work with properly, but in the end I suspect it is easier than, say, picking out individual targets by hand (or even engineering and monitoring an automated system).

The thinking is largely on the basis of the aforementioned armistace between Pegasus, Glugger and Orson being largely unenforceable. When in a Hall of Residence or similar styled building it is perhaps not possible to come to an agreement with everyone playing in the hall...because you might not know them!

An amusing alternative is to simply invoke a full TRUST NO ONE feel, and encourage people not to even shower without a weapon...

[hr]

"There is only ever one truth. Things are always black or white, there's no such thing as a shade of grey. If you think that something is a shade of grey it simply means that you don't fully understand the situation. The truth is narrow and the path of the pursuit of truth is similarly narrow."
Frank

Re:

Postby Bullet_MaGnEt on Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:29 am

I was showering with a weapon thats why im so gutted she managed to get me. I guess the weeks just took their toll on my paranoia. Still I am pleased with being able to go from sleeping to killing hitsquad faster than you can release a killer attack monkey.
Bullet_MaGnEt

Re:

Postby Amorphous on Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:07 pm

I think the problem with the Assassins Rules, to badly fudge a quote from a certain piratey movie, is that they're not rules so much as guidelines. In relation the Umpire, anyway. It's simply not possible to make an exhaustive list of what absolutely should or should not happen in every given situation because so many of them are hard to predict, so the Umpire is left with the job of interpreting both to the situation and the rules to the best of their ability. In the next version of the rules I'm going to try and put a note at the top to this effect which will hopefully help ease confusion.

Something to think about, anyway. Assassins, 'tis continually evolving!
If Jack Bauer was put in a room with Joseph Stalin, Adolf Hitler and Nina Myers and handed a gun with two bullets, he'd shoot Nina twice.
Amorphous

Re:

Postby JM on Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:14 pm

Quoting Amorphous from 14:07, 13th Dec 2006
Assassins, 'tis continually evolving!

;) yay, bring on the next round :)

[hr]

"Life can be full of many problems"; this can be translated into "tormenting you is how the big man gets his jollies"
"Life can be full of many problems"; this can be translated into "tormenting you is how the big man gets his jollies"
JM

Re:

Postby October on Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:12 pm

Quoting JM from 14:14, 13th Dec 2006
Quoting Amorphous from 14:07, 13th Dec 2006
Assassins, 'tis continually evolving!

;) yay, bring on the next round :)

[hr]

Yes, lets.
I plan on lasting longer, and killing more nexst time.

[hr]

I'm Telling you.
It was the Ninja Robot Monkeys that did it.
Does no-one feel that giving geeks a justification such as Article 31 a bad move? - Frank
October

Re:

Postby David on Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:35 pm

i plan on killing wee jimmy for the third time
David

Re:

Postby JM on Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:06 pm

Quoting David from 15:35, 13th Dec 2006
i plan on killing wee jimmy for the third time

hehehe,

he would go ballistic.

you would die in a bloody, rage fuelled death :S

[hr]

JM

Re:

Postby David on Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:53 pm

maybe, but it would still be worth it
David

Previous

Return to Assassins06