Home

TheSinner.net

A startling new resolution

The Official Board for St Andrews Assassins 2006. Check rules, gloat over victories or moan about your early death. Please note you must be a registered user to post on this board

A startling new resolution

Postby Frank on Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:48 pm

After an extended look at the workings of one of the rules regarding 'Society Meetings' from the Rulebook, I have come to this resolution regarding the nature of when folks can and when folks cannot be targeted in relation to society meetings and events (and similar activities).

Hopefully this should clarify things for folks:

By the letter of the rules if you are 'just' outside a society event or meeting, then you are a valid target (other exeptions present).

The inside bounds of, or participating in a society meeting or event (or similar e.g. SRC commitee meeting, league or tournament football match etc) constitute Safe Zones, much like Lecture Theatres and to a degree dining halls (bearing in mind poisons).

On the way to a society, or about to enter, or just having left all constitute Valid Target Opportunities unless the target is carrying society equipment as it is highly probable that it is impractical and indeed costly to abscond or evade with.

My reasoning here on this last point is that whilst RockSoc itself, or a meeting concerning it are Safe Zones, a person simply moving to such an event is a valid target.

Now pertaining to the section

If, however, the target is, say, carrying some sort of instrument or bulky equipment to be used at the society, then it they are invalid targets. Equally, someone lugging a Tuba to MusSoc or five armies, a battlefleet and three wizards across seven bulky backpacks/cases to GameSoc are invalid.

(Directly from the rules:
"- society meetings, sports games and practices, study-groups, etc. are all out of bounds. Likewise players who may be transporting equipment to and from such events are out-of-bounds. This does not include impromptu 'kickabouts'." )

Conversely, however, discretion must be used.

If in doubt about this: contact the Umpire.

Remember: People who are invalid targets in the cases outlined above are not in a position to make kills.

New Resolution pertaining to breaks or forefeits of the above[/i]
If an invalid target does make an attempts, then they forefeit (for the immediate period) their invalid status and risk incompetence (based on the outcome of the attempt, survival and a possible penalty for potential abuses of the above situations).

I hope this is a reasonable resolution, though further consultation will (or at least should) be underway with respect to the next run of the game.

Once the next game is complete this will be reviewed and could well be incorporated into the rules for the next game. Consultation will commence.

Anyone with views or queries on this please discuss here, or again: ask the Umpire via email if you're worried about something very specific.

I do hope this clears up some unsavoury points.

Note: The being an idle attendee at the Bop does [b]not
constitute being in a safe zone. It is not safe in real life, it should not be in the game. Only DJs, Union Staff and Ent Crews would be exempt from this (unless I've missed anyone) when 'on duty' or working.

[hr]

"There is only ever one truth. Things are always black or white, there's no such thing as a shade of grey. If you think that something is a shade of grey it simply means that you don't fully understand the situation. The truth is narrow and the path of the pursuit of truth is similarly narrow."
Frank

Return to Assassins06