Home

TheSinner.net

Unofficial Game Commentary Round 3

The Official Board for St Andrews Assassins 2006. Check rules, gloat over victories or moan about your early death. Please note you must be a registered user to post on this board

Re:

Postby Frank on Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:11 am

I leave this message for you as I have I've already passed beyond your realm.

This very morning. Proabably...oh...0037ish?

Mr Bullet_Magnet was quite transparent, but the only way to go is through the fire. And walking through fire get's folks burned.

And it got me. :)

A pleasure doing business with you all. But, I have become more powerful than you can ever imagine!

And some parting words, if you simply replace station with guild, and the happy sentiment with death and killing:

I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in the station, when it is quiet, and just listen. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone .. our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains. But I will admit .. that the part of me that is going .. will very much miss the part of you that is staying.
-G'Kar

That's all folks!

[hr]

"There is only ever one truth. Things are always black or white, there's no such thing as a shade of grey. If you think that something is a shade of grey it simply means that you don't fully understand the situation. The truth is narrow and the path of the pursuit of truth is similarly narrow."
Frank

Re:

Postby October on Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:51 am

Quoting Frank from 01:11, 6th Mar 2007
I leave this message for you as I have I've already passed beyond your realm.

This very morning. Proabably...oh...0037ish?

Mr Bullet_Magnet was quite transparent, but the only way to go is through the fire. And walking through fire get's folks burned.

And it got me. :)

A pleasure doing business with you all. But, I have become more powerful than you can ever imagine!

And some parting words, if you simply replace station with guild, and the happy sentiment with death and killing:

I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in the station, when it is quiet, and just listen. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone .. our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains. But I will admit .. that the part of me that is going .. will very much miss the part of you that is staying.
-G'Kar

That's all folks!

Wait, does that mean your dead?
Or that you think your god?

[hr]

I never thought I be so grateful that my best friend from college went on to become the director of the CIA.
Does no-one feel that giving geeks a justification such as Article 31 a bad move? - Frank
October

Re:

Postby JM on Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:57 am

Alas, Frank has indeed died...and may also think he's god, not sure :P

I feel a combined, huge, sigh of relief among many ;)

good luck everyone

James

[hr]

"Life can be full of many problems"; this can be translated into "tormenting you is how the big man gets his jollies"
"Life can be full of many problems"; this can be translated into "tormenting you is how the big man gets his jollies"
JM

Re:

Postby Frank on Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:11 am

No, don't worry, no God mode on this machine. Unfortunately...

Come join me in the afterlife though...it's fun...and peaceful :)

[hr]

"There is only ever one truth. Things are always black or white, there's no such thing as a shade of grey. If you think that something is a shade of grey it simply means that you don't fully understand the situation. The truth is narrow and the path of the pursuit of truth is similarly narrow."
Frank

Re:

Postby October on Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:37 am

Quoting Frank from 02:11, 6th Mar 2007
Come join me in the afterlife though...it's fun...and peaceful :)

If it's all the same to you, I rather like living, so I think I'm going to keep trying my best to stay that way.

[hr]

I never thought I be so grateful that my best friend from college went on to become the director of the CIA.
Does no-one feel that giving geeks a justification such as Article 31 a bad move? - Frank
October

Re:

Postby Craicman on Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:48 pm

ok so it turns out that the only person playing who could actually shoot straight is now dead ¬_¬

[hr]

Like the inquisition, you'll never see us coming
Craicman

Re:

Postby October on Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:42 pm

Quoting Craicman from 13:48, 6th Mar 2007
ok so it turns out that the only person playing who could actually shoot straight is now dead ¬_¬

I can shoot straight.
And I'm still alive.
Hell I even shoot the person I killed.
You've never saw me shoot anyone, cause I don't want to give reason for you to shoot me.

[hr]

October

Re:

Postby David on Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:20 pm

i hope the hit squad enjoyed their wait in silence while I studied, and especially enjoyed being deprived of the kill at the end of it all

thanks for the motivation to study too!
David

Re:

Postby Fedoraccoon on Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:31 am

Anything to help someone writing a dissertation. I've come to the conclusion that the organized attempts of the hit squad will never be fully successful. Although they seem to have a portentious quality. Perhaps after the organized attempt fails or gives up the intended victim is lulled into a false sense of security, as each time the main force fails the target is immediately killed by a different random squaddie shortly thereafter who happens to be passing by.

I will point out, however, that you would have been killed by our re-grouped and re-organized attack outside.

[hr]

This world...is made of... LOVE AND PEACE!..LOVE AND PEACE!..LOVE AND PEACE!!
Fedoraccoon

Re:

Postby October on Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:51 am

frell!
What happened?
All I know is yesterday I went to bed, and there was 5 players remaining,
then i wake up to the final 3.

I did i miss something?

[hr]

October

Re:

Postby David on Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:13 am

you wouldnt have got me outside, i know more about the bute than most and would have sneaked out a side entrance and picked up my car the next day, i wonder how much longer you would have waited too
David

Re:

Postby Fedoraccoon on Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:54 am

Right, and the moment you got in your car and turned the ignition and drove off...BOOM!!! Although I concede it might have occured to you to check for land mines under the tires, in which case you're right, you'd live.

[hr]

Fedoraccoon

Re:

Postby David on Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:49 am

yeah, i had a feeling you might have done soemthing to my car so i'd have given it a good look over

also, how does the hitsquad stand on killing innocents? surely they shouldnt be allowed and had you left the mine you would have also taken 4 innocent lives

was the janitor mean to you? i had a friend send him up to clear you out :-p
David

Re:

Postby Fedoraccoon on Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:03 pm

You make an absolutely right point. The unfortunate fact is that we probably wouldn't have been there to say "Wait! Don't get in the car!" So if you didn't find the mine, everyone in the car, including the innocents, would have died. Which brings us neatly to the point about how to punish the hit squad.

I've done some thinking and have come up with the answer. As we know, hit squad people can't really be wanted the same way assassins can be. Even if there was a hit-squad wanted list (there is no incompetence list as squaddies don't have to keep up a steady stream of kills within a time limit of each other), it would probably be low priority for the other squaddies, there is a conflict of interest. Also, kicking them out of the game seems to be a bit extreme. So how about this, assassins can be "suspended."

Should a squaddie do something that would make an assassin wanted, they get brought before a virtual disciplinary board (more a plot device than anything else) and have their squaddie activities suspended for a week. During this week, living assassins can make attempts on the squaddie! Furthermore, killing the suspended squaddie during the disciplinary period counts towards an assassin's kill count (both for general scoring purposes and for getting oneself off incompetence and wanted lists). If they are killed, the timer for the disciplinary period starts over.

If squaddies were "suspended" in this way, the incentives would be perfectly structured for everyone. Assassins would go after them to get kills, and if they fail to survive for a whole week their timer starts over. This forces the assassin to hide away completely for the whole week. Potentially, they might be killed often enough such that they never get to re-join play. This gives squaddies a powerful incentive to take care when making attempts.

However, any assassins killed along with the innocents are still dead. It may be an illegal kill, but not an invalid one.
Fedoraccoon

Re:

Postby Fedoraccoon on Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:05 pm

You make an absolutely right point. The unfortunate fact is that we probably wouldn't have been there to say "Wait! Don't get in the car!" So if you didn't find the mine, everyone in the car, including the innocents, would have died. Which brings us neatly to the point about how to punish the hit squad.

I've done some thinking and have come up with the answer. As we know, hit squad people can't really be wanted the same way assassins can be. Even if there was a hit-squad wanted list (there is no incompetence list as squaddies don't have to keep up a steady stream of kills within a time limit of each other), it would probably be low priority for the other squaddies, there is a conflict of interest. Also, kicking them out of the game seems to be a bit extreme. So how about this, assassins can be "suspended."

Should a squaddie do something that would make an assassin wanted, they get brought before a virtual disciplinary board (more a plot device than anything else) and have their squaddie activities suspended for a week. During this week, living assassins can make attempts on the squaddie! Furthermore, killing the suspended squaddie during the disciplinary period counts towards an assassin's kill count (both for general scoring purposes and for getting oneself off incompetence and wanted lists). If they are killed, the timer for the disciplinary period starts over.

If squaddies were "suspended" in this way, the incentives would be perfectly structured for everyone. Assassins would go after them to get kills, and if they fail to survive for a whole week their timer starts over. This forces the assassin to hide away completely for the whole week. Potentially, they might be killed often enough such that they never get to re-join play. This gives squaddies a powerful incentive to take care when making attempts.

However, any assassins killed along with the innocents are still dead. It may be an illegal kill, but not an invalid one.

[hr]

Fedoraccoon

Re:

Postby Fedoraccoon on Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:06 pm

The janitor actually was quite friendly. I didn't speak to him but I understand that he didn't give us any trouble. Kate was the one who actually spoke to him, I don't know anything beyond that he didn't kick us out.

[hr]

Fedoraccoon

Re:

Postby October on Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:29 pm

I think that's a great idea.

Quoting Fedoraccoon from 12:05, 7th Mar 2007

[hr]

[hr]

October

Re:

Postby JAK on Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:44 pm

Quoting Fedoraccoon from 12:05, 7th Mar 2007

[hr]

The rules state the hit squad get resurrected at the umpire's discretion. So wouldn't it just be easier that if Hit Squad do something which kill innocents they won't be allowed to be resurrected again?

I mean, I suppose you could make a similiar case about Frank's death - starting a fire fight amongst the midst of a group of innocents isn't the best of plans.

[hr]

I got my BBC
I got my BBC
JAK

Re:

Postby Seti on Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:49 pm

Yeah I talked to the janitor, he was very nice, said that we didn't have to leave at any specific time - just to make sure the doors shut and locked properly on our way out!
Anyway can you leave your car in the bute carpark overnight? We were under the impression that you wouldn't be able to...

[hr]

It's not paranoia if people really are out to get you.
It's not paranoia if people really are out to get you.
Seti

Re:

Postby Fedoraccoon on Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:56 pm

Quoting JAK from 12:44, 7th Mar 2007

The rules state the hit squad get resurrected at the umpire's discretion. So wouldn't it just be easier that if Hit Squad do something which kill innocents they won't be allowed to be resurrected again?

I mean, I suppose you could make a similiar case about Frank's death - starting a fire fight amongst the midst of a group of innocents isn't the best of plans.

[hr]

I got my BBC

I don't understand this strange obsession everyone seems to have about completely disqualifying people from play. Not resurrecting squaddies is tantamount to them being completely removed from the game. Even wanted assassins have opportunities to get off the wanted list, and even if they are killed before that point they can still join the hit squad. Why should squaddies be completely discharged for making a mistake that doesn't even remove a regular person from being alive, let alone the game. A sufficiently dire punishment (which can possibly remove them from the game) such as the one I suggested should be plenty to make sure squaddies take care without assigning some unnecassarily debilitating punishment for when things go wrong.

[hr]

Fedoraccoon

PreviousNext

Return to Assassins06