Home

TheSinner.net

Red vs. Green Bio

For scientific discussion and general science societies chat.

Red vs. Green Bio

Postby Science is Fun on Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:09 pm

So any way … I have heard a lot about Red and Green bio since I got here (and by a lot I mean twice lol.) I tried looking it up on Google but couldn’t find anything. What does it mean?
Science is Fun

Re:

Postby Fawksie on Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:59 pm

Red: biochemistry, neuroscience, physiology, zoology, pathology etc.
Green: ecology & conservation, evolutionary biology etc
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Re:

Postby Science is Fun on Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:26 pm

Last night I was asking some one and they said that things like zoology were green sciences.
Like if something had to do with the human body or things at the cellular level it was red biology but if it had to do with animals or the environment it was green biology. Is that right?
By the definition you gave were would things like herpetology and entomology fall?
Are there any other color categories?
Is it just a St. Andrews thing?
Science is Fun

Re:

Postby Fawksie on Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:34 pm

I have actually no idea, I was just making an educated guess :) I'm a physicist.
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Re:

Postby Science is Fun on Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:41 pm

Is it kosher for me to post this on the main message board because I get the impression that this one isn't used very often?
Science is Fun

Re:

Postby Pan on Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:07 pm

I would assume animal and human biology fall under the same category, seen as humans ARE animals...

[hr]

"Last time you gave me a pie, I cut into it, and birds flew out of it, hitting me in the face and chin. I was confused. It was a trick pie"
Pan

Re:

Postby Science is Fun on Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:09 pm

you would think that but I dont think its the case
lol
not about humans being animals ... that obviusly is the case
Science is Fun

Re:

Postby Science is Fun on Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:10 pm

I moved this thread to the main board (sorry I know its a dick thing to post something on two boards)
Science is Fun

Re:

Postby Guest on Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:12 pm

Is it kosher for me to post this on the main message board because I get the impression that this one isn't used very often?

Re:

Postby ksusha on Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:17 pm

my guess would have been animal vs plant biolgy including all related sub-categories.
but who cares about red vs green biology anyway? it's a st andrews thing as far as i can tell. i've never heard of the classification before (other than in high school maybe..) and have studied at four other unis in europe and north america before.
ksusha

Return to Science