Home

TheSinner.net

Router + Azureus/Emule

This board is for WiredSoc members and non-members to discuss all things computer & IT related. Got a problem with your computer? Maybe someone here can help. This is also the place to post interesting techy news and other relevant stuff.

Router + Azureus/Emule

Postby [WSD]-Deus on Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:11 pm

Hey,

has anyone experienced or heard of using a wireless modem router and being disconnected from it if you run azureus (haven't tried other bittorrent clients yet, but will do and update) or emule. is there any obvious reason why it does it? i tried playing around a bit within azureus to get it to only use a certain number of connections n stuff (as winxp sp2 only allows 10 outgoing i think).

any help would be much appreciated

p.s. on a separate topic, with wolf, can resnet people connect onto an outside server using a friendly port? (i.e. connecting to a server that's not based in resnet, but is using one of the open ports)

thanks

[hr]

<<[WSD] UK PAL Uber Elite>>
<<[WSD] Council>>

IMAGE:www.ibgone.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10023/deus%20-%20best.jpg

"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine! - The dead only know one thing, it is better to be alive." - Full Metal Jacket
<<[WSD] Council>>

IMAGE:www.ibgone.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10023/deus%20-%20best.jpg

"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine! - The dead only know one thing, it is better to be alive." - Full Metal Jacket
[WSD]-Deus

Re:

Postby Brother Munro on Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:16 pm

Bit torrent does not work through resnet (well, most of the time, it depends what ports people share accross) with any client, I got a few to work in week 1*, but since then nowt.

*Actual legal ones!

Edit: Nor do torrents work through the wireless net

[hr]

Hail Ilpalazzo!
Courage and Honour!
http://www.everyclick.com/uk/ Search the internet Charitably
http://www.coronarythrombosistrust.org.uk Save a Heart
Courage and Honour!
http://www.everyclick.com/uk/ Search the internet Charitably
http://www.coronarythrombosistrust.org.uk Save a Heart
http://web.mac.com/brothermunro My Page of Random
Brother Munro

Re:

Postby orudge on Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:01 pm

Nothing is impossible...

... but some things are pretty difficult. Others require a bit of clever trickery. :)

[hr]

http://www.owenrudge.net/
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37103734
orudge
Administrator

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:38 pm

Your PS

Yes, but the way in which you do it makes the lag too great so it's not really worth it. When I get a craving I take my computer down to comp sci and play there (Shhh don't tell them :P)

Your first. This might be something to do with the router specific software, particularly your routers firewall software (or hardware). Try turning of the firewall for a short period of time and seeing if azureus still gets you punted off.

By the sound of it you aren't in ResNet so i won't go into what to do there for p2p software but if you are post back and i'll give you hints on what to do.

P.S. Any hints I gave you would obviouly have to be used solely to download legal data.

[hr]

I'd like to change the world but they won't give me the source code.
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby [WSD]-Deus on Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:31 pm

Hey,

no, i'm not on resnet, was for 2 years and had azureus working pretty well (terrabytes of information being passed through)...

but yea, i don't care about resnet anymore, as i'm just in a flat with a normal adsl connection. it's just weird how the connection will be fine for most things, bar p2p and games (tried hpc and bf42, both fuck up within 1 minute of playing on any server). since i have a legal option, i might try contacting my ISP yet again and explain how i can't play my legal games.

i'll see about the firewall, hopefully i can find some solution, maybe some port to open (though if i did need a port open, then wouldn't it simply not connect to the server itself, or rather, wouldn't even come up with a server list).

neways, thanks for your help

[hr]

<<[WSD] Council>>

<<[WSD] Council>>

[WSD]-Deus

Re:

Postby greenman's the name on Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:26 pm

i am however a resnet user and have just become a member and was wondering if thoes hints were still available especally for bit torrent any help in stting it up would be most welcome.
greenman's the name

Re:

Postby Roulette on Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:28 pm

We can't actually any info regarding whether you can or can't bittorrent on resnet here - we might get into trouble for doing so.

I think it is actually against the terms of your contract with the Uni and you can get booted off ResNet for torrenting.

[hr]

If you're the "1337 M4574!!!111", then I'm the Weirdo in the corner playing air guitar to her iPod.
Lame, but cooler than you.
If you're the "1337 M4574!!!111", then I'm the Weirdo in the corner playing air guitar to her iPod.
Lame, but cooler than you.
Roulette

Re:

Postby Mohawk on Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:31 pm

same applied for having a wireless network running of resnet, but i had one for two years whilst on resnet.
Mohawk

Re:

Postby madmanjock on Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:54 am

if anyone want's to email a poor useless first year cs student some of these hints, I'd be most gracious

madmanjockuk@yahoo.co.uk
madmanjock

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:52 am

¬_¬ no ¬_¬

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Tryptophan on Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:02 am

[WSD]-Deus --

Depending on what router/firmware your using it may just not be able to deal with tracking the number of connections that bt generates. even if you set it to a maximum number of established con's it'll stiil keep blasting syns until it gets up to the maximum conneciton limit. Some routers can't track this many connections statefully or statelessly ( need to track the tuples for NAT). I had this at home with the STB dsl box thing that comes with our dsl. I use mine in pppoe/ethernet packet bridge mode and it just forwards layer-2 data connectionlessly. This leaves the *nix (iptables/tc) / pf box to track and control all the flows and connections. Your isp might also be affecting this...some not exactly being fans of high levels of traffic or minimum delay packet streams.

/me thinks 'foo would feel right at home on a *nix #help chan......

The firewall has to let some stuff through, else you wouldn't be able to view this, eh madmanjock?
Tryptophan

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:05 am

Take a look at the date tryptophan.

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Tryptophan on Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:23 pm

date = 1163164643 seconds since 00:00:00 1970-01-01 UTC?

Heh, while the answer may not be strictly temporally relevant to the original poster, who by now has no-doubt found an answer of his own the answer is still useful...bittorrent does not play nicely in default config (even tying it down only helps a little), especially not when paired with COTS plug-n-pray black boxes.

Then there is the whole EventID 4226 thing, and if you open the max-tcp-syn limit then thats a whole bunch more problems for the router to contend with.
Tryptophan

Return to WiredSoc