Home

TheSinner.net

External Flashing of ones BIOS

This board is for WiredSoc members and non-members to discuss all things computer & IT related. Got a problem with your computer? Maybe someone here can help. This is also the place to post interesting techy news and other relevant stuff.

External Flashing of ones BIOS

Postby thebrookster on Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:34 am

Hi, a quick question. Last night I tried to reflash my BIOS, and in my wisdom managed to succesfully flash the wrong program onto the chip. Does anyone have the relevant hardware to do an external BIOS flash for me, as it is my only (working) PC, and I kinda need it. MOBO is a Gigabyte GA-6BXE if that helps. May at some point try doing a hotplug flash if necessary, or I can just send the chip to Holland to be reflashed, but that will cost me money! Aside from that, I am running Debian Sarge, and I also have the problem that it keep freezing. I think that this is a result of my Processor running to hot, and the fact that something is eating up my RAM (99.3% of 448Mb!!). If anyone has any advice on this as well I would be grateful.

Thanks,

Thebrookster
thebrookster

Re:

Postby orudge on Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:42 am

Not too sure about the BIOS flashing, but as for the RAM issue, then the Linux kernel caches memory, so it may seem as though RAM usage is nearly 100%, but in reality, most of this should actually be unallocated (I think).

[hr]

http://www.owenrudge.net/
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37103734
orudge
Administrator

Re:

Postby Roulette on Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:30 am

Quoting dunqn from 16:02, 3rd Dec 2005You might as well just bin it, for a 6 year old motherboard, it's not worth the effort of trying to fix.

I believe he just bought it, actually.
If you're the "1337 M4574!!!111", then I'm the Weirdo in the corner playing air guitar to her iPod.
Lame, but cooler than you.
Roulette

Re:

Postby Steveo on Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:20 pm

Pretty much stop being poor and buy a new mobo.

Problem?

Solved.

[hr]

Not my ethics.
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby thebrookster on Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:13 am

Have recently just nought this mobo form Ebay for pennies, I know that it is old, but it does use up the several P2/3 processors that i still have lying around my room that I have not got round to to getting rid of yet!! And anyway, it quite happily runs Debian Sarge when the processor is not overheating. (I know, crap heatsink, but then again, not particularly great processor either). When I have the money it is my intention to move onto a newer machine, I am quite liking the idea of running a dual Processor board, maybe with the new AMD64 X2 dual core model.
thebrookster

Return to WiredSoc