Home

TheSinner.net

A few rules of Wolf Etiquette

This board is for WiredSoc members and non-members to discuss all things computer & IT related. Got a problem with your computer? Maybe someone here can help. This is also the place to post interesting techy news and other relevant stuff.

A few rules of Wolf Etiquette

Postby munchingfoo on Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:22 am

Okay,

since a lot of the players are new I thought I should point out a few things so I don't become a screaming shouting n00b hater.

1) Under no circumstances deliberately kill a member of your own team "to get back at them". It's a team game, killing someone on your own team is just about the most stupid thing to do. People get team killed by accident all the time, it's just part of the game. There is no sense in "getting your own back".

2) Following point 1. Mines. They have big flags on them, firstly, don't stand near them, if you explode them the enemy has an easier job. Secondly, if you are totally blind enough to set one of your own teams mines off IT IS NOT THE FAULT OF THE PERSON WHO LAID IT. It's your fault for being a stupid cunt.

3) Some MG's in the game are devastating to the enemy. (in my particular case the one in the bottle necked tunnel just inside the seawall battery) This means if an experienced player is on that MG and sees two or three enemy players running into this bottle neck and you happen to be prancing about in there, you are going to get mown down too. Simple as that. There are a number of things that you can do here. Firstly, you can stay to the side of the MG, this will solve most problems. Secondly, you are more than welcome to stand in the MG's line of fire - this can sometimes be a useful tactic, putting off the enemy just running round the corner to be encountered by someone who totally shouldn't be there. If however you choose to follow the second method and the MG gunner kills you, again, it is NOT his fault. It's part of the game, live with it.

4) Complaining, just as deliberate team killing is out of order, complaining (the press f1 or f2 thing that comes up after you get tk'd) in most cases, is just as wrong. If you are team killed for one of the above reasons, and you complain, you are a total cock - end of. If you are team killed in a big fire fight (even 2v2 sometimes) where everyone is running about and getting caught in cross fires it is likely that only one stray team bullet happened to catch you when you were on 5 HP or less. Anyone can see this is no fault of the team mate who shot you. If we all stood still when being attacked, then yes, a team mate shouldn't really ever shoot you. (if you stand still I can gaurantee you will not get far in this game :P) If however you move about, particularly strafe into a team mates firing line (which happens ALL the time) then it's not your team mates fault. (it's not your fault either, it's just part of the game) Complaining in this instance makes you a cock also. As does breaking rule 1. (but breaking rule 1 always makes you a cock) Sometimes complaining is okay. If for example your team mate sets off support fire ( artilary or bombing ) on your spawn or in a bottle neck where there is mostly your players A FEW TIMES (not just once) then you can start pressing the lovely complain button ( or just shout abuse like everyone else :P)

These rules are there to stop me becoming an evil bastard, follow them :P

[hr]

I'd like to change the world but they won't give me the source code.
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Senethro on Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:17 am

Note: If more people play as medics then team kills are irrelevent.

These days, I've just turned off the complain text in the options menu.
Senethro

Re:

Postby iab2 on Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:54 am

Quoting munchingfoo from 08:22, 6th Dec 2005

This means if an experienced player is on that MG and sees two or three enemy players running into this bottle neck and you happen to be prancing about in there, you are going to get mown down too. Simple as that.

Of course, the experienced player could wait for that person to move, but I suppose that the xp are just so tempting.

As for rules (1) and (2), our most experienced player last night stood on my mine outside the fuel dump. He called for help and when I arrived I did not realise what he wanted. So he shot me dead and died stepping off the mine. Thanks Elron.

[hr]

IMAGE:x12.putfile.com/11/32506261375.jpg
iab2

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:49 am

It has nothing to do with XP you tool. If that MG doesn't shoot an enemy soldier as soon as he appears you can guarantee a rifle grenade will be heading into the MG window in less than a second. Waiting for n00bs to "get out of the way" is not an option. It has fuck all to do with XP, if that MG is manned by an eng and a medic they can pretty much hold the front on their own.

As for Elron, we all know about him ... :P

[hr]

I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby iab2 on Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:16 pm

IMAGE:x11.putfile.com/12/33906143830.jpg
[hr]

iab2

Re:

Postby Senethro on Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:49 pm

Ian: Its my habit that its best to try and move 45-90 degrees to an ongoing firefight as this both lessens the chance of you picking up a stray bullet, being caught in splash damage or inflicting a team kill. However, some weapons are non-mobile and some regions of the map are made to be spammed with grenades.

From the point of view of foo on the MG you're already dead as you have engaged 2 people at once at close range with little room for manoevure. From this point of view, you don't have many options but you could have gone prone and shot them in the foot, thus giving foo a clear line of fire if he aims at the upper torso.

Also, if you think the game is about XP I would be more than happy to play a stopwatch cycle of maps where XP resets every round.
Senethro

Re:

Postby iab2 on Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:08 pm

Wow. Everyones so touchy, just a little joke.

I totally understand, just thought I would make light of the silliness of it all. (Though I can see how my first post can sound aggrieved. I wasn't, it just came accross like that). The rules did not appear to be about tactics but at first glance appeared more about reckless people and do not do anything stupid.

As for your tactics, I employ the first often and the mg torso I have tried occasionaly too.

We should play with xp, as I enjoy collecting it and I am sure others do as well.

What would be great for tactics is voice comms. Don't know if thats possible though.

[hr]

iab2

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:04 pm

I agree with everything but the don't run in front of part, yes it's annoying but it's a little impracticle to keep looking at the radar to see if "duncan" is behind you moving faster than you at every occasion. What we need is the push. pro pro pro

[hr]

munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Malcolm on Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:33 pm

My teamkills were genuine accidents, all of them. Hell, if I'm blasting away at a distant enemy with an MP40, and somebody decides to jump in front of the fire at a split second's notice, he sure is going to get royally hosed.

But I will admit to walking on mines last night, it was entirely my fault, I've never played Wolf:ET before last night, so I didn't know what to look out for.

Damn good game, though, we should do that again some time.
Malcolm

Re:

Postby niall on Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:02 pm

Quoting Malcolm from 17:33, 6th Dec 2005

Damn good game, though, we should do that again some time.

well, for those not going to boozeday tuesday, we could play some tonight. I'll prolly connect around 9/9:30 if anyone is about.

[hr]

do you have a tastyspoon?

http://www.tastyspoon.com/forum
niall

Re:

Postby Nickel on Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:40 pm

5) If you step on a mine and decide not to wait for an engi to come and defuse it but to just step off it and die, please wait until there are not teammates standing next to you.

6) If you have almost no health and a medic on your team kills you and revives you, they are doing it for your good, not their own. Reviving will give you more health than the medic packs and do so faster. Also, the medic does not get any XP for reviving a team killed player.

7) If you are a medic, please do not team kill and revive team mates who have more than 70% health elron, especially when you do not have full revive and not enough bar for medipacks.

--
nickel
Nickel

Re:

Postby Renegadeandy on Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:36 am

Yea I have played both evenings, the only anoyance is when a medic thrashes u only to revive you, would be more sensible to just hand me a medkit or leave one for me to run into whilst im reloading in a firefight.

However i certainly think the xp should be kept i do enjoy that aspect of the game and it also creates healthy competition.

I do feel however we need to work more as a team, communication is a strongpoint on this and there shouldnt be a problem installing a teamspeak server on the wired soc server should there? Could Elron or Annakana perhaps check this out and we shall see because that would be nice and useful.

Good call tho - the rules make sense and it is most anoying when people are turds.

Thanks guys - Renegadeandy
Renegadeandy

Return to WiredSoc