Home

TheSinner.net

Computing

This board is for WiredSoc members and non-members to discuss all things computer & IT related. Got a problem with your computer? Maybe someone here can help. This is also the place to post interesting techy news and other relevant stuff.

Computing

Postby Cola Cube on Wed Nov 13, 2002 12:49 am

I'm a fed up 2nd year astro student & I hate my course. I'm considering changing course, dunno what to yet. Never done computing before but it looks pretty interesting - I've seen the stuff my boyfriend does. But he's a comp geek so I need to know from someone who isn't how difficult the course is.

Guess it can't be that bad if it has no physics.
Cola Cube

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Wed Nov 13, 2002 2:51 am

Unless you hate life - don't do it.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Wed Nov 13, 2002 2:58 am

I'll give a more considered response later - but you should probably consider changing to Arts unless you have your heart set on Science because IMO things in the faculty of Science require a lot more devotion and interest.

I was in a similar situation - 2nd year economics was not so bad but the maths modules that I had to take with them and the knowledge that next year the theory would actively involve advanced calculus made me quite discouraged and I eventually decided that it would be best to do Medieval History - thanks to my desire for total European domination.

But yeah, that's all for now.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby The_Farwall on Wed Nov 13, 2002 4:23 am

Whilst I will glower and growl at Prophet for the annoyingly blunt way he said it, what he said is generally true. Computer Science is a subject to kinda have to dedicate yourself too in a couple of ways.
Firstly, if you just want to get through the course then you might manage by just going to lectures but to actually become good at it you have to become a little obsessed, as I'm sure you might have noticed with your geeky boyf. It's almost more important that it be you hobby than your subject because it comes a lot easier if you enjoy and am interested in it.
I guess most of what I'm saying is probably true for most subjects except that perhaps CompSci isn't really the kind of thing that you could get into if your not already interested by it.
This is mostly because you all probably know the basic content of computer science already. It's not like an arts subject where you might discover hoardes of hithero unknown and interesting facts, programming really is just typing special words in certain order (and without a single typo or the whole thing won't work), hardware really is just bits of chips and wires that most of us don't really understand how they work, just the correct ways to plug them into each other.
There are more subtle aspects, writing a complicated program is actually like a logic puzzle. And really satisfying when you come up with clever ways of making it do the things you want it too. But at heart its still sitting in front of a screen for hours on end writing semi-intelliable crap over and over until it works, if that appeals to you then do Comp Sci, if not, run away.

[hr]"Whatever your age the desire to make plastic dolls shag is almost impossible to resist."
[s]Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.[/s]
The_Farwall

Re:

Postby James Baster on Wed Nov 13, 2002 10:04 am

I too glower and growl for the flippant way prothet said that, but he is actually right. And so is Farwall. Mostly.

I would also add that Comp Sci isnt for everyone in more ways than one. To be a good comp sci you have to have a very logical and also literal mind. You also have to be creative, and yes, I'm sure many arts students will scoff at this but yes, creative. In Physics or Maths when they give you a question there is generally one way and one way only to do it. You use formula X. In comp sci, when you write a computer program there are many many different ways to do it. You need skills to logically weight up several approachs and decide what the best one is. This gets even worse when you start doing your year long practicals when you have 15 people all round a table, each of you with your own ideas for the best approach. And yes, when you get it working well it is satisfing. (Quick Litimous test: if you laughted at me and Farwall saying that, then dont even bother trying comp sci.) Programming is not just sitting there typing, it is a real art. If you enjoy it, it is truley satisfying.

So as well as really liking it, you have to have the right mind for it or you will struggle. And you do have to actually be intrested in it, or again, you will struggle. Dont just jump into it. Find someone to teach you some programming one night to see if its for you, and beware that not everyone is a good teacher. Thats especially true in comp sci, where most people are shy and not very good at explaining things.

[hr][s]Its nice to be able to blaspheme. It takes a very special and strong-minded kind of atheist to jump up and down with their hand clasped under their other armpit and shout 'Oh, random-flucuations-in-the-space-time-continuum!' or 'Aaargh, primitive-and-out-moded-concept on a crutch!' - Terry Pratchet, Men at arms[/s]
James Baster

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Wed Nov 13, 2002 5:08 pm

All the people I've talked to with any experience in computing have universally agreed that it's one of the worst taught courses in the Uni.

My advice to anyone would not even to be to take a CS module as a filler to make up credits unless they had some real programming experience under their belt because even people who have forbidden love for Computing like Farwall and James have to agree with my blunt but accurate points.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby Administrator on Wed Nov 13, 2002 6:19 pm

If you get someone to teach you some programming and you decide you like it, (I wasnt trying to put you off, honest. I was just trying to say "dont rush into it becuase youve seen someone else do it and it looks ok.") then my advice is to do a joint honours. Then you get to avoid the bastard modules they try to shove on you at Honours, and only do the fun ones.

James Baster
Administrator

Re:

Postby The_Farwall on Wed Nov 13, 2002 11:13 pm

[s]Administrator wrote on 18:19, 13th Nov 2002:
If you get someone to teach you some programming and you decide you like it, (I wasnt trying to put you off, honest. I was just trying to say "dont rush into it becuase youve seen someone else do it and it looks ok.") then my advice is to do a joint honours. Then you get to avoid the bastard modules they try to shove on you at Honours, and only do the fun ones.

James Baster

Actually, that's less true seeing as they tend to make the worst modules the compulsary ones and the fun ones the least accessable optional ones. So does that not end up meaning Joint honours people have to do all the really hideous ones like "Principles of Programming Languages" and "Machines and Computation" but don't get the chance to do "Multimedia" and "Graphics" etc?

[hr]
"Whatever your age the desire to make plastic dolls shag is almost impossible to resist."
The_Farwall

Re:

Postby James Baster on Wed Nov 13, 2002 11:28 pm

Nah, joint honours only have to do half the compulsary modules. They get to choose which half.

[hr][s]Its nice to be able to blaspheme. It takes a very special and strong-minded kind of atheist to jump up and down with their hand clasped under their other armpit and shout 'Oh, random-flucuations-in-the-space-time-continuum!' or 'Aaargh, primitive-and-out-moded-concept on a crutch!' - Terry Pratchet, Men at arms[/s]
James Baster

lol,

Postby Valen_gr on Mon Nov 18, 2002 8:06 am

well, as a second year comp sci student,
i can say that the first 2 years are incredibly dull and boring,all you ever do is java and more java.3&4th year are more interesting,and should be more "fun".
Be prepared to have to do some serious reading and spend MANY more hours than expected in the practicals, since they are difficult as hell.Well, only do it if you really want a job in comp sci related company, you will hate the subject if you do not have some interest and like in it.
[i:3qoywpzu]Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe....[/i:3qoywpzu]
Valen_gr

Re:

Postby teamonkey on Mon Nov 18, 2002 6:29 pm

[s]The_Farwall wrote on 23:13, 13th Nov 2002:So does that not end up meaning Joint honours people have to do all the really hideous ones like "Principles of Programming Languages" and "Machines and Computation" but don't get the chance to do "Multimedia" and "Graphics" etc?

Why would you do "Graphics" or "Multimedia" when "Principals of Programming Languages" sounds so interesting?
teamonkey

Re:

Postby The_Farwall on Mon Nov 18, 2002 7:20 pm

[s]teamonkey wrote on 18:29, 18th Nov 2002:
Why would you do "Graphics" or "Multimedia" when "Principals of Programming Languages" sounds so interesting?

Well, presumably you wouldn't. However, seeing as POPL doesn't sound in the slightest bit interesting, my point still stands.

[hr]
Happiness is like wetting yourself. Everyone can see the signs but only those close to you feel the warmth.
The_Farwall

Return to WiredSoc