Home

TheSinner.net

newbie sessions

This board is for WiredSoc members and non-members to discuss all things computer & IT related. Got a problem with your computer? Maybe someone here can help. This is also the place to post interesting techy news and other relevant stuff.

Re:

Postby Roulette on Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:46 pm

I was just wondering:

Are there any "old pros" with some patience willing to have a few sessions with the newer players, just to help show them the ropes a little better?

Would any of the newbie players actually be interested, too?

For me it's a little discouraging trying to get the hang of things with all the old hands running around getting things done and actually being good at the game :P it's also impossible to actually do much when tour mown down every few seconds but I'm guessing that's more my lack of experience with multiplayer shooters than anything else.

[EDIT] Sorry for the crappy posting x.x something died somewhere when I attempted to post this... [/EDIT]

[hr]

If you're the "1337 M4574!!!111", then I'm the Weirdo in the corner playing air guitar to her iPod.
Lame, but cooler than you.
If you're the "1337 M4574!!!111", then I'm the Weirdo in the corner playing air guitar to her iPod.
Roulette

Re:

Postby orudge on Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:48 pm

Perhaps this board should indeed be renamed to "WolfSoc". It wasn't even mentioned in this post. ;)

Perhaps I should give it a go sometime, despite the fact I'd be utterly hopeless at it.

[hr]

http://www.owenrudge.net/
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37103734
orudge
Administrator

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:50 pm

no worse than rou, i can assure you :P

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Roulette on Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:59 pm

Quoting munchingfoo from 17:50, 19th Feb 2006
no worse than rou, i can assure you :P

Thanks foo :P

And thanks for pointing that out, orudge. I didn't even notice not mentioning Wolf!

[hr]

Roulette

Re:

Postby andrewdalgleish on Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:19 pm

me too, always happy to help out people who are learning the game. If/When I'm on just ask :)
andrewdalgleish

Re:

Postby orudge on Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:07 pm

Well, to be frank, I was pretty awful tonight. ;)

[hr]

orudge
Administrator

Re:

Postby Roulette on Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:59 pm

If someone could run me (and whoever else wants to join in) through the basics before tomorrow nights game that would rock so much.

[LORD, I just realised how little sense and how protentially wrong that post was...I missed words out by accident]

[hr]

Roulette

Re:

Postby Fawksie on Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:41 am

Downloading the Mac client now (that's probably blasphemous), if it actually runs I might join in :) My FPS experience is precisely zero though.

Edit: Actually, no, it's not! I played Corridor 7 back in the day :P
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Re:

Postby Senethro on Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:48 pm

Would anyone else find this helpful?
Senethro

Re:

Postby orudge on Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:29 pm

As mentioned earlier, I would probably find it helpful, as right now, I really am quite appalling. ;)

[hr]

orudge
Administrator

Re:

Postby andrewdalgleish on Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:33 am

thought I'd bump this thread with a note about the Gaming Event:

I'm happy to talk anyone through the maps (that I know) and how you could improve your skills on Saturday.
Also, I think it would be a good idea to get each team together before each match to discuss basic tactics rather than just running about like headless chickens. Might take a few minutes longer per game but I think it would enhance the fun for all in the long run :)
andrewdalgleish

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:02 pm

Yeah - i love tactics talk. Made the last game of AC i played immense. :P

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Malcolm on Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:29 pm

Quoting andrewdalgleish from 08:33, 8th Mar 2006
thought I'd bump this thread with a note about the Gaming Event:

I'm happy to talk anyone through the maps (that I know) and how you could improve your skills on Saturday.
Also, I think it would be a good idea to get each team together before each match to discuss basic tactics rather than just running about like headless chickens. Might take a few minutes longer per game but I think it would enhance the fun for all in the long run :)

Sounds cool to me, but wouldn't it also make sense if we all had headsets? How hard would it be to set up two TeamSpeak/Ventrilo servers, one for each team? It would mean that if things go wrong, we can still communicate mid-game if the tactics don't work for whatever reason and be flexible with them.

Although I won't be there the whole day (hopefully for at least half of it though), I'll still say bring a headset if you've got one, like it said in the e-mail.

[hr]

"I must have some booze. I demand to have some booze."
Malcolm

Re:

Postby Senethro on Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:29 pm

No kidding, tactics and stopwatch games would be more fun than a campaign. Campaigns are just extended deathmatches and tactics aren't worth bothering with.
Senethro

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:25 pm

I'll be fucking around tonight if you want be shown round maps whatever. Unfortunatelly I will be unable to attend the gaming event.

[hr]

munchingfoo

Return to WiredSoc