Home

TheSinner.net

Configuring ResNet via nForce 4 Ethernet on CentOS 4.2 x86-64

This board is for WiredSoc members and non-members to discuss all things computer & IT related. Got a problem with your computer? Maybe someone here can help. This is also the place to post interesting techy news and other relevant stuff.

Configuring ResNet via nForce 4 Ethernet on CentOS 4.2 x86-64

Postby alastair05 on Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:32 pm

Hi there,

I've installed CentOS 4.2 x86-64 on my PC which is based on an nForce 4 Ultra mainboard, on which I connect to ResNet via the nVidia ethernet.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to get the network connection to work in CentOS (it works great in Windows XP), I simply get an error saying the IP address information cannot be found - it's set to use DHCP as it should be, though I've also tried setting a static IP using information gleaned from Network Connections in XP. When I used the static IP the connection appeared to be active, but network apps still didn't work!! I at first though it was a driver issue and have tried both the reverse-engineered forcedeth kernel module and the proprietary nvnet module from nVidia, but noticed the hardware status reads OK anyway. I'm using the stock 2.6.9 kernel installed by CentOS, and have had no problems with the network connection on other Linux distros, not even Gentoo where I would have expected it to be much harder to configure.

Can anyone help me please?
alastair05

Re:

Postby Nickel on Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:57 pm

Have you had a look at Societies/wiredsoc/6779
?

There might be something in there that could help with the DHCP problem.

As for when you set it statically, are you setting the route as well as the IP address information? Can you ping other hosts that you can in windows? Can you ping the IP address you assigned yourself? Can you ping localhost?
Nickel

Return to WiredSoc