Home

TheSinner.net

WiredSoc Gaming Event

This board is for WiredSoc members and non-members to discuss all things computer & IT related. Got a problem with your computer? Maybe someone here can help. This is also the place to post interesting techy news and other relevant stuff.

Re:

Postby Roulette on Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:34 pm

Quoting Diesel from 10:42, 3rd Mar 2006
Also, how did Elron manage to have a free gaming event in venue one last year, and u guys are making ppl pay for this one? At £5 each I think someone is gonna make money from this.

Then non-members should join and get in at the member entry fee ;) Costs the same ;)

Quoting Mod from 12:34, 3rd Mar 2006
Quoting Roulette from 02:07, 3rd Mar 2006

I think we're also going to have a x-box 360 sitting around being all pretty and Mircosoft. I'm seeing my way into providing Halo and Halo 2, because they just rock.

Halo2 will run on a 360 (well, it will after a patch via xbox live, which i'm not sure has been released yet), but not halo 1. Ergo, I trust you meant using a couple of normal Xboxes for Halo?

Jamie is sorting that. Don't ask me how, he's sorting that.

If Jamie can't, no big deal. My brother has an x-box. I'll just borrow it off him.

[hr]

If you're the "1337 M4574!!!111", then I'm the Weirdo in the corner playing air guitar to her iPod.
Lame, but cooler than you.
If you're the "1337 M4574!!!111", then I'm the Weirdo in the corner playing air guitar to her iPod.
Roulette

Re:

Postby Senethro on Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:51 pm

Also, how did Elron manage to have a free gaming event in venue one last year, and u guys are making ppl pay for this one? At £5 each I think someone is gonna make money from this.

ORMG WIR£D$OC R SCREWING US!
Senethro

Re:

Postby Roulette on Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:30 pm

Quoting Senethro from 17:51, 3rd Mar 2006

ORMG WIR£D$OC R SCREWING US!

I think (if you check the minutes from the meetings this year on the website) you'll find that we paid off £100 at the start of the year from last years Gaming Event, too.

These things don't come for free for us and I'm sure you can understand if we don't want to run at a loss - it just makes things harder to do every year.

[hr]

Roulette

Re:

Postby Malcolm on Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:07 pm

What's the format of the day going to be? Obviously we bring our own PCs, but what else?

How many people are we looking to turn up?

[hr]

"I must have some booze. I demand to have some booze."
Malcolm

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:29 pm

Yes - with members at £2 and non-members at £5 its pretty much pointless for a non-member to go since wired membership is £3 isn't it?

I am not going to pay £5 for an event that I have to take my own equipment to. If wiredsoc comes into the same category as Fife Park as far as hosting association events then you get Venue 2 for free, or close to, right?

Posters? Why on earth would you even need posters? Think about the type of people who are going to come to a gaming event. They are far more likely to notice a free e-mail than a poster somewhere.

The most expensive union poster deal is around £150 which gets you one poster by uni society notice board and some fliers and stuff. If you did this its overkill, by a long way. My opinion being, if you did any posters its overkill tbh.

I was fully expecting to have to become a wired member or pay a small fee but £5 is far too much. I hope you have a good time sitting on your own.

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Senethro on Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:57 pm

How much money do you drink in a night?
Senethro

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:57 pm

Quoting Senethro from 19:57, 3rd Mar 2006
How much money do you drink in a night?

What the hell has that got to do with anything?

[hr]

image:www.magnificentoctopus.com/x/elgar.png
flarewearer

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:06 pm

Yes, when I buy alcohol I am paying for a good and a service. Here I am paying for neither really.

I'm pretty sure, if I were an affiliated society, (oh, I am actually in a round about kind of way) I could run this event for free or near to. The event I am hosting in venue 1 is going to cost me £1 per person.

but that aside, its not about it being free, its about a 50p to £1 event costing £5.

I have heard from the committee themselves that the £5 charge is simply to make people join wiredsoc. Yes, they can do this if they want, all I am saying is, if they do I and many others won't come and the event will be a flop.

Member/Non-member prices are usually to reward members and allow those not wishing to join to come too. I have never seen this level of price difference at a successful event.

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Fawksie on Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:09 pm

Quoting munchingfoo from 19:29, 3rd Mar 2006
Think about the type of people who are going to come to a gaming event. They are far more likely to notice a free e-mail than a poster somewhere.

Who exactly do we e-mail? gaming-types@ ? How are we expected to publicise the event to non-members, excepting the usual Wolf crowd, except via the Sinner and posters?
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:10 pm

Quoting Fawksie from 20:09, 3rd Mar 2006
Quoting munchingfoo from 19:29, 3rd Mar 2006
Think about the type of people who are going to come to a gaming event. They are far more likely to notice a free e-mail than a poster somewhere.

Who exactly do we e-mail? gaming-types@ ? How are we expected to publicise the event to non-members or the usual Wolf crowd except via the Sinner and posters?

linkup? as for posters i spend a good 6 months tirelessly producing, printing and putting up posters for a society every fortnight pretty much single handedly, the end result of which was that people just stole the posters and it was a waste of my time and the society's money.

[hr]

image:www.magnificentoctopus.com/x/elgar.png
flarewearer

Re:

Postby Cain on Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:11 pm

buy a facebook announcement?

[hr]

I hold an element of surprise
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Duggeh on Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:11 pm

the weekly wednesday email that goes to every student? ask to be put on it.

[hr]

IMAGE:www.macintyre42.plus.com/images/tb2-100.jpg
Duggeh: Master Of Ceremonies
Duggeh

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:13 pm

There are a multitude of free avenues. The above two being amazing but societies also get the use of that subTV system if they want.

[hr]

munchingfoo

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:14 pm

Quoting munchingfoo from 20:13, 3rd Mar 2006
There are a multitude of free avenues. The above two being amazing but societies also get the use of that subTV system if they want.

P.S. ¬_¬ if you really wanted simple posters too, i'd have just got a comp sci student to do them for free ¬_¬
[hr]

[hr]

munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Elron on Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:08 am

Well last year, it was free (cos im great :p) cos the only cost really was for the food that we put on - The venue hire was free.

Remember that WiredSoc is not a "rich" society, so they still need to fund raise in some way.

I'm not sure what the £5 cost is for. But perhaps Wiresoc could consider dropping the price slightly to say that only members can attend, but that people can join on the day.

That way, they both increase their userbase and still will make some money from non-members who become members.

Anyway, as for the games.

You just know it's gonna end up like last time - an all day wolf frenzy ;)

With lots and lots of loud swearing!

I love you AndyD <3

[hr]

~Elron~
Former WiredSoc President
~Elron~
Former WiredSoc President
Elron

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:41 am

I do not want to join wiredsoc. They can't offer me anything I need. I have three webservers already and I speak to most of the members outwith the social context of any official meetings.

I would be quite happy to pay whatever it costs to have the event hosted (which as I have pointed out is likely to be around £1 per person if its not free) but £5 really is extortion if I have no interest in becoming a member.

Again, as I have stated, you are more than entitled to charge whatever the fuck you like but as I have also stated don't expect people to turn up and pay it.

As a point of interest, who decided on the pricing? And what experience of hosting events do they have?

[hr]

munchingfoo

Re:

Postby andrewdalgleish on Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:28 am

imo: Getting together with some mates and playing computer games > whining about having to pay a tiny amount for it.. I'll subsidise 'foo :P
andrewdalgleish

Re:

Postby Roulette on Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:39 am

Fucking hell.

You guys have asked US to host a Gaming Event. Which we're doing. I can understand complaining about the prices if you've left the University (therefore can't quite be a member of WiredSoc) and will be making the trip to see people you've left behind.

HOWEVER. People like Duncan and Foo - you have no excuse NOT to join the society. It's been YOU guys sitting around complaining to WiredSoc about Wolf, etc. from the start. So basically, what your saying - you're willing to use our services, you're willing to sit and complain at us when it's not to your satisfaction, but you're not willing to pay a measly three quid to join us and therefore be entitled to use/complain about these services? Oh fuck yeah. That works.

YOU guys asked for a Gaming Event. WHICH WE ARE PROVIDING. So you had the cheek to ask us without actually joining the society? That is NOT OUR FAULT.

As for the people who have saw it fit to hunt ME down and complain to ME - I am Publicity. I do NOT MAKE DESCISIONS. All I decide is what the posters should look like and what to put on the website. Nothing else. Acting Events Officer for this event is Kieran/Hash9 - who is also President/SysAdmin.

Failing that, email the committee. The address is on the website I so lovelingly keep up to date.

Though, I also wish to point out we are aware of your complaints and have a committee meeting on Wednesday - however hard you complain, nothing will actually be decided until then.

Alright?

[hr]

Roulette

Re:

Postby Senethro on Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:47 am

Tell it like it is, Roulette.
Senethro

Re:

Postby james on Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:58 pm

yup i think the list that was decided upon on Wed's Meeting was:

Wolf
Need For Speed
Pro Evoultion Soccer 5 (yes on my laptop hooked up to the projector)
and...

XBOX 360 with Project Gothem, Perfect Dark Zero and if we can swing it, Halo.

Btw, i need to ask to borrow someone's XBOX360 Controller, preferably wireless. Its only for the duration of the event and i promise that you'll get it back. I'll even provide a £20 deposit if that makes anyone feel better.

Cheers
james

PreviousNext

Return to WiredSoc