Home

TheSinner.net

Boot Camp and ResNet...

This board is for WiredSoc members and non-members to discuss all things computer & IT related. Got a problem with your computer? Maybe someone here can help. This is also the place to post interesting techy news and other relevant stuff.

Boot Camp and ResNet...

Postby fearghas on Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:23 am

Hmmm...

What with the desire to play CS eating away at me like some sort of B-movie disease, I'm trying to get my MacBook Pro (running XP) to talk to ResNet. I can connect fine under OS X, but in Windows, I just get "Limited or No Connectivity".

It doesn't seem to be getting a proper IP address, something about the DHCP server not responding or somesuch. Which seems strange, given that my MAC address is registered and it all works under OS X...

Anyone got any ideas?
fearghas

Re:

Postby Malcolm on Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:26 pm

You should try releasing the DHCP lease through OSX, and then restart your machine into Windows which will then grab a fresh DHCP lease for you automatically.

DHCP clashes often occur on ResNet, and I had the same problem with dualbooting Vista and Linux.

I'm not sure how you do it on a Mac, though.
Malcolm

Re:

Postby Fawksie on Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:29 pm

From time to time, Resnet used to flat-out refuse to assign me a dynamic IP, so I took the last one it had assigned and set it as static. Once an IP has been assigned by Resnet it seems to stick around for a fairly long time, releasing the lease never worked for me, but re-running the signup form http://portal.st-and.ac.uk/resnet/resnet.pl usually did. You could always try that if all else fails.
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Re:

Postby fearghas on Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:21 am

THanks guys, I've got it working now. I tried assigning the same IP as I had before, and that didn't work.

I think that the problem is with the Client ID, which is specified in OS X as res06-username or somesuch, but you don't do this in Windows. So releasing the DHCP lease seemed to work, by renewing the lease with no client ID under OS X (and making sure I got a 138.x.x.x.x IP, and then disabling Ethernet and booting into Windows... Works now anyway, which is nice :)

Thanks for the help...
fearghas

Return to WiredSoc