Home

TheSinner.net

University Wireless - Albatross VPN - Linux

This board is for WiredSoc members and non-members to discuss all things computer & IT related. Got a problem with your computer? Maybe someone here can help. This is also the place to post interesting techy news and other relevant stuff.

University Wireless - Albatross VPN - Linux

Postby browner on Tue May 01, 2007 11:15 am

I am trying to get my laptop to connect to the university wireless network as avaliable in the library/chemistry/etc.

I have connected to the access point:

iwconfig eth1 essid tsunami

Now i need to authenticate the pppoe connection. I have setup a profile for "pon" which contains all the required settings. The tool "pppoeconf" helped me with this and detected the presence of a pppoe connection itself.

My configuration for pon reads as follows:

user "cib3@albatross"
pty "/usr/sbin/pppoe -I eth1 -T 80 -m 1452"
noipdefault
usepeerdns
defaultroute
hide-password
lcp-echo-interval 20
lcp-echo-failure 3
connect /bin/true
noauth
persist
mtu 1492
noaccomp
default-asyncmap

I have my username and password listed in the file "/etc/ppp/pap-secrets" and "chap-secrets" in the following format:

cib3@albatross * PASSWORD

I then try to connect with "pon" and check the log file by issuing "plog". The logfile shows an "EAP authentication failure".

I have checked my password many times and I am sure my credentials are correct. I have the feeling it may be trying the wrong authentication protocol. Windows reports that the connection uses MSCHAP-V2.

Has anyone had success getting this to work!?
I would love to know how.

Cheers

ubuntu 6.10 edgy
browner

Re:

Postby browner on Tue May 01, 2007 5:23 pm

i have since also added the option:

require-mschap-v2

to the config file as i believe that to be the authentication protocol in use.

this now gives me a different error although i think i may have borked my config files somewhere in the process.

any suggestions?
browner

Re:

Postby browner on Thu May 03, 2007 10:34 pm

Ok, in case anyone's interested here's how I got it working. The following guide was provided to me by Jon Callan of ITS.

http://chris.scotland.googlepages.com/albatross

He also informs me "we should be moving to the Janet Roaming Service over the summer which should only require wpa_supplicant (or similar) and a DHCP client."

which is good news for all imho.
browner

Return to WiredSoc