Home

TheSinner.net

Excel

This board is for WiredSoc members and non-members to discuss all things computer & IT related. Got a problem with your computer? Maybe someone here can help. This is also the place to post interesting techy news and other relevant stuff.

Excel

Postby HarryP on Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:18 pm

Hi guys,

I have been asked to do some work on a database for someone, not entriely sure what at the moment but I think it is mainly organising it better and allowing a search by a variety of methods etc.

I know the basics of excel - and have made simple macros in the past.... are there any resources (web based or books) that would be helpful for me to read? Any tips?

I'm not getting paid for this, but want to give a very very good impression, so hints for formatting etc would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a lot
HarryP

Re:

Postby QuadrAlien on Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:34 pm

Would it not be slightly more relevant to get books on Microsoft Access, seeing as it's the program in the Microsoft Office suite that deals with databases - as opposed to Excel, which is for spreadsheets?

Alternatively, could indeed be a spreadsheet that needs looking at, not a database.

[hr]

Somewhere in chaos we all find ourselves,
This destruction is the only tale we tell,
White is black, black is white,
Right is wrong and wrong is right,
Nothing ever feels this cold inside your heart...
Somewhere in chaos we all find ourselves,
This destruction is the only tale we tell,
White is black, black is white,
Right is wrong and wrong is right,
Nothing ever feels this cold inside your heart...
QuadrAlien

Re:

Postby HarryP on Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:50 pm

Ooops, my mistake!

Yes Access I guess would be better... I haven't actually received the data yet, but will be back with more direct questions when I do!

Thank you
HarryP

Re:

Postby sat on Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:41 pm

If you wanted something more sophisticated then you might want to try MySQL with some sort of frontend. Access may indeed be the best for a small-scale thing but if, say, you wanted to do something web-based then MySQL+PHP is a popular way to go. If you're Microsoft-loyal then there are equivalent web-based technologies, which I don't know a lot about.
sat

Return to WiredSoc