Home

TheSinner.net

HOWTO: Eduroam on Vista x64

This board is for WiredSoc members and non-members to discuss all things computer & IT related. Got a problem with your computer? Maybe someone here can help. This is also the place to post interesting techy news and other relevant stuff.

HOWTO: Eduroam on Vista x64

Postby alastair05 on Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:28 am

Hi there,

I was having some problems connecting my 64-bit Vista SP1 laptop to Eduroam since the university doesn't support it and the supplied installation software installs apparently OK on Vista x64 but then doesn't work. After a lot of faffing about with the Intel ProSET wireless software supplied with my wi-fi card I finally got it working by downloading an updated client and adding the university's wireless settings. I have put together a bundle which you can install and which fixes the problem :). It uses an updated SecureW2 client obtained from the original web site combined with the settings files and security certificate from the university bundle.

You can download it here: http://wired.st-and.ac.uk/~abc1987/eduroam_vista_x64.zip.

You will need to extract ALL of the stuff in this file then run SecureW2_EAP_Suite_111.exe. You only need to install TTLS when it prompts. When you reboot you should be able to connect to the network as described in the university guide, ignoring any stuff about Vista SP1 since this properly supports it. You will get asked to enter additional authentication information, when you click this is will come up with the SecureW2 window like you see in the guide.

Hope this helps at least one other person and if you have any problems let me know. Obviously if you somehow manage to break your machine doing this (I don't really see how you could . . .) I take no responsibility!! :D

P.S. I see no reason why this bundle shouldn't work on XP or Vista x86 either, indeed it probably avoids a more convoluted setup on Vista x86 SP1 like that in the guide!!
alastair05

Re: HOWTO: Eduroam on Vista x64

Postby Fawksie on Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:36 pm

Thanks for this Alastair. Might look into publishing this and similar howtos on the website.
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Re: HOWTO: Eduroam on Vista x64

Postby wey68 on Wed May 20, 2009 5:37 pm

Thanks so much for this! I just used it on the 64bit Windows 7 RC, and it worked! Thanks again!
wey68

Return to WiredSoc