Home

TheSinner.net

Wired down?

This board is for WiredSoc members and non-members to discuss all things computer & IT related. Got a problem with your computer? Maybe someone here can help. This is also the place to post interesting techy news and other relevant stuff.

Wired down?

Postby sat-unreg on Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:43 pm

WIred seems to be down just now; at least, I can't get in. I'm allowed to log in but then things fail. Is the fileserver down again (so no home directories)?
sat-unreg

Re: Wired down?

Postby Fawksie on Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:29 am

Precisely. It seems that somebody has brought NFS up and not brought up the /home mount on wired.
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Postby dasx199 on Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:21 pm

Slightly more complicated than that (remounting was the first thing I tried). Rebooting wired also doesn't help.
Smoked's kernel has locked - using 100% of one of the CPU's. The logs also show a lot of I/O errors for a specific hard disk (known issue - requires a reboot).
I need to reboot all of the boxes starting with smoked, but running 'reboot -f' on it causes the shell I'm using to hang indefinitely (and no reboot). A new box to replace it is going to be installed before freshers week (although the current problem could be software or hardware). In the mean time I need to get down to St Andrews and reboot manually. I'm trying to get hold of Jaunty to do it. Failing that I'll be down next week.
dasx199

Postby sat on Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:04 pm

OK. Thanks for the update. Will incoming mail be cached somewhere rather than going to the Maildirs? Or will it be bouncing back?
sat

Postby dasx199 on Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:50 pm

I am hoping that I will be cached somewhere but tbh I need to have another look and see; as if it cannot write to the maildirs (which are on the same machine - mail arrives at smoked) then I doubt it is going to be able to write to any hard disk. Mail is currently being accepted for delivery. I could get it to stop accepting emails but then the mail gets lost anyway. Not ideal but I can't get down to fix it until at least next week.

More positively: I've remembered to restart the irc server :).
dasx199

Postby dasx199 on Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:21 pm

Wired is now back up properly. Jaunty got it rebooted. Most of the mail seems to have just been delayed.
dasx199

Return to WiredSoc