Home

TheSinner.net

ActiveArmor Firewall

This board is for WiredSoc members and non-members to discuss all things computer & IT related. Got a problem with your computer? Maybe someone here can help. This is also the place to post interesting techy news and other relevant stuff.

ActiveArmor Firewall

Postby mhuzzell on Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:54 pm

...is a pile of crap, and is making my computer more difficult to use.

So, I have nVidia ActiveArmor firewall installed, and it does this little thing where it pops up when things change so that I must either authorize or block a change. At some point, I (or someone using my computer) must have blocked a change to Firefox, and now Firefox doesn't open. At all. (Or rather, the window opens, but it won't load any websites.)

Trouble is, while I can see the logs of what's been blocked by ActiveArmor, I don't seem to have any power to modify what it does or does not block on a regular basis. There is an option to 'restore factory settings', but it doesn't include any description of what this means, and I'm a little afraid that it will not just restore its own settings, but all sorts of my personal, unrelated configurations to the way they were before it was installed.

I'm also a little afraid to simply uninstall it, lest it somehow leave the blocks in place when it leaves. Ultimately I'd just like to be rid of it, but mostly I just want to be able to use Firefox sometimes, since there are some things Opera just can't do, and I'm not keen on going back to IE. Help?

(By the way, despite flailings here, I'm not totally computer-illiterate. I just have a few major blind spots, of which this is one. And I'm perhaps a bit overly-paranoid.)

p.s. to admins: I just posted this in Advice Please, stupidly overlooking this forum (and also not realising it was open for general tech questions). Please feel free to remove one or the other of the two posts as appropriate.
I FOUND JESUS... he was behind the couch the whole time!
mhuzzell

Return to WiredSoc